Onboard Misting System - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Onboard Misting System

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #31
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could have a wet t-shirt contest in your Jeep....a couple of honeys and wet mist

Last edited by ThUmPeRcOn; 05-08-2007 at 02:26 PM..
ThUmPeRcOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #32
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the wiring. But why do you need to use a relay? Why can't you run from the battery, to the switch, straight to the pump? This sounds like a great idea and I'm definitely going to be trying it soon. Thanks for the nice write up.
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #33
92blazn
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25
The expensive part is the pump. The Jerry can is not real cheap either. The rest is very inexpensive.

PARTS LIST APPROXIMATE PRICE
2 misting nozzles $10.00 at hardware store
1 RV water pump. 12V. 40psi. $130.00 from an RV shop
1 relay $5.00 from Radio Shack
1 switch $2.00 from Radio Shack
14g wire $400 from hardware store
loom $5.00 from auto parts store
inch ID hose $6.00 from auto parts store
inch ID hose $5.00 from auto parts store
Jerry can $40.00
hmmm I like this idea

Tx and 100+ deg weather and humidity making it 120+ might come in real handy with top off ,
Thanks
I'm not actually going for the wheeling, I just want to watch Ed drive his Jeep. :o
92blazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #34
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5
Yes! Have them spray acid at the passengers if they do not entertain you! Or you could use it to threaten kids into behaving! For that matter you could use it as a mobile interrogation vehicle.

You unscrew the tips and soak them in a small cup for a couple minutes to remove the calcium.

zman
Unread 05-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #35
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the wiring. But why do you need to use a relay? Why can't you run from the battery, to the switch, straight to the pump? This sounds like a great idea and I'm definitely going to be trying it soon. Thanks for the nice write up.
The pump draws 7A when running. I chose to use a relay to keep that current between the battery and the pump, and a low current line from the ignition for the switch.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM   #36
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did you use any fuses in the circuit? And if so where?
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #37
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I fused the main power to the pump, and I fused the switch.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

Unread 05-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #38
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've got my pump and wiring, just waiting on the nozzles to get here. I think I'm going to install it on the vertical wall of this hidden area.
http://www.jeeps4ever.com/Jeepin_Roc...20Solution.htm
But instead of cutting out the tub, I'll go up from behind the wheel well and drill a small hole ontop by the roll bar for the 1/4" tube. What I'm curious about is how bad does this thing vibrate, and how loud does that make it?
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #39
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR-00-TJ
You could have a wet t-shirt contest in your Jeep....a couple of honeys and wet mist
Would that I had this installed the day this was taken.
jeepsathooters-may2005-3.jpg

I hear the pump a little when it is running, but no vibration. Mine is mounted on an L bracket to the inside bolts that hold the PSC corner armor on.

Unread 05-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #40
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Stogie, got the nozzles today - thanks! What a nice guy

Question about the pump: do they have a pressure switch and cycle on and off? Just curious...
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #41
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am glad the nozzles got there.

There is a switch on the pump that has no user interface, so I assume that it is a pressure or a heat switch. Today I was using it, and found that I only use it for a few seconds at a time. I think I am going to make my switch a momentary-off-on switch. I might put the momentary on a timer circuit of about 7 seconds. I have not ran the pump long enough to get hot or turn itself off.

Unread 05-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #42
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25
I am glad the nozzles got there.

There is a switch on the pump that has no user interface, so I assume that it is a pressure or a heat switch. Today I was using it, and found that I only use it for a few seconds at a time. I think I am going to make my switch a momentary-off-on switch. I might put the momentary on a timer circuit of about 7 seconds. I have not ran the pump long enough to get hot or turn itself off.
Let me know if you work that out. Thanks again.
Unread 05-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #43
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great idea and wanted to thankyou for the idea and write up again. I just pretty much finished mine today...took about 6 hours. I mounted the pump in the cavity behind the rear passenger wheel well(I posted a link to a web site explaining the location earlier). I didn't cut into the tub, but instead pulled the lining from the wheel well down so I could reach up into the space. This pic shows the 4 bolts going through the wheel well, holding the pump on the other side of it.
misting-002.jpg
This is a picture of the pump looking straight up from the ground, so it's kinda hard to get your bearings. I used a shurflo 2.8 gallons per minute 45psi pump. Way too much pressure. It cycles on and off about every second. You can't notice it from inside, but it will wear it out quicker.
misting-003.jpg
I also decided to put on more nozzles. I ran those hose up the rear roll bar, and put one nozzle on the top back corner, then ran the hose up to the sound bar and around to the rear of the other roll bar for the other nozzle. I then put a T-adapter in the middle and a valve and made two more nozzle that point in the face of the drive and passenger. These can be turned on/off, so they're good for quick bursts to wet your face. I also put a faucet on the rear corner of the jeep that I attached to the pump, but the pressure was too strong for the way I connected it, so I am trying to find a better way that will hold up to the pressure. I also ran a line w/a valve on it along my spare tire carrier pointing behind the jeep so when I'm sitting behind it I can turn them on.
misting-012.jpg
misting-016.jpg
misting-013.jpg
Unread 05-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #44
tjchad

I always just used a hand pump one that I got from Home Depot for 5 bucks. I could just take it with me when away from the vehicle and use it anywhere...

It was made by Misty Mate.

HOLY CRAP! I just checked their site and the very same one I got on clearance for 5 bucks is running 74 dollars! At that rate I'd rather take the challenge and make my own...
tjchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #45
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice setup. I've seen a few of these that use on board air to pressurize a section of PVC pipe. That may be a cheaper route for those that have on board air.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.