Onboard Misting System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Onboard Misting System

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Onboard Misting System

For all of you that live in areas where humidity is somebody else's problem, evaporative cooling is a very good way of creating comfort. Here is a writeup I did on my latest upgrade for my Jeep.

Enjoy,

Jeep Onboard Misting System

One of the primary reasons I bought my TJ ten years ago is because the lid comes off allowing me the open Colorado air all summer long. The flaw to this is that it gets hot in summer, sometimes uncomfortably hot. Usually when this happens I remind myself that the top will be on all winter, and that a little sweat is a small price to pay for the top being off. In summer I have always kept a misting spray bottle in the Jeep to spray myself when stopped at lights. If I thought running the air conditioner without a top or doors would do any good I would put one in. This year I decided to address the problem.

Among my favorite places to drive my Jeep to in summer are bars with patios. There I can enjoy a cold beer and the cool mist of the misting systems that many patios here have. It occurred to me that such a system could be mounted onboard a Jeep fairly cheaply. I researched this on the web, and found that it was not exactly an original idea. I even found a guy selling them pre-made. Unfortunately he was out of business. He is a very nice guy, and I spoke with him for a long time discussing the design of his onboard mist system.

His design pressurized a tank from a compressed air source, forcing water out of his tank at high pressure to misting nozzles. I drew up a design based on his using my 5 gallon Jerry can as a water source, and my onboard air as the propellant. After much discussion at work (bring up a project in a room full of engineers and much discussion will occur) we used a water pump instead of pressurizing the tank. It seemed quite a bit safer. We did however keep his approximate misting nozzle locations.

The project was adopted by the whole crew at work. One of the guys donated a RV water pump he had in his garage to my project. Another donated a slightly mangled garden misting system that he had laying around. We rigged up a proof of concept test, and made a wet mist mess in our shop in the middle of a very cold Colorado December. A little bit of mopping and the shop was good as new.

Just this week my top came off for the year, and work began on my misting system. The first day I did some shopping at my local hardware store for some adapters, ¼ inch hose to attach the misting nozzles, and a ½ inch feed hose. I mounted the pump behind my rear roll bar under the tonneau cover. I ran the ¼ inch output line up the roll bar, across my rear rack, and mounted the misting nozzles to the rack pointed at the cab of the Jeep. I drilled a hole for the feed hose, and a vent hole in the lid of my Jerry can, and ran the line down my roll bar to my pump.

The second day I installed a relay near my pump, and ran power from the battery. I ran a switch to my console to control the relay. With everything installed, it was time for an operational test. I filled my Jerry can with water, flipped the switch and made mist. I then took the Jeep out for a spin. Unfortunately it was 50 degrees that night, and the mist made the cab damp, and me cold, but it worked well.

The third day I worked out some bugs. It turned out the vent hole needed a small length of hose stuffed into it so the water didn’t jump out on turns and bumps. I also tried the misters when the temperature was in the low 70’s. The mist made me go from perfectly comfortable to cool, and evaporated almost instantly in the cab. I am waiting for a nice hot 90+ degree day to really test it out but my expectations are high. The aerodynamics of my Jeep are so bad that the mist is pulled from the rear of the Jeep to the cab at any speed above a full stop.

One benefit of the location of my misting nozzles is that with my tailgate open, I can turn the nozzles to point out the back of the Jeep. I can then put my folding chair behind the Jeep and stay cool when camping, or sitting in the pits at the race track.

Another benefit to developing this project at work was the advice I received from some friends of mine who are traffic patrol officers. In many areas, it is apparently against codes to carry modified gas cans, so it was suggested that I label the gas can “Water” to avoid being pulled over. I made a sticker appropriate to the advice.

Parts List
2 misting nozzles
1 RV water pump. 12V. 40psi.
1 relay
1 switch
14g wire
loom
¼ inch ID hose
½ inch ID hose

Jerry can with feed hose
misting-2.jpg

The hose running down the roll bar to the pump below
misting-1.jpg

The pump mounted in the corner under the tonneau cover
misting-3.jpg

The misting nozzles mounted on my Olympic rack
misting-4.jpg

97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's sort of like an onboard fire suppression system...
Unread 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

That is freaking awesome! Great JOB! While it does get hot here in NJ, i would just put my soft top back up and put the A/C on. I have a question, does the mist bother the radio and all?
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

On my second test with temps in the mid 70's the mist evaporated almost instantly. I can't see myself running this under 85 degrees in normal circumstances. The mist should not harm any electronics if it is evaporating instantly.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

Unread 05-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice!!

I'd like to try that someday
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
jeeparoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

what a great system for you guys in non humid areas.. as for using A/C with the top and doors off, I do it quite often esp in slow traffic. Ill run it on the Bi-Level setting so it keeps my legs, arms, and face cool.. one thing id do is treat the water or use distilled water otherwise you will find the nozzles will clog up from tap water.
-Christopher
97 TJ Sahara 5sp soft top - mudded,sanded,rocked,sunk(sold)
00 TJ Sport 5 sp soft top - mudded, rolled in a blizzard{no damage except top} (sold)
02 TJ Sport auto soft top - roadtripped,mudded (sold)
06 TJ gold eagle 6 sp soft top- not enough room (sold)

Number 10 million of the 'I Love my JeeP' Club
jeeparoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeparoo
one thing id do is treat the water or use distilled water otherwise you will find the nozzles will clog up from tap water.
I thought about that. I was picturing scum on the inside of my windshield vs. clogging up the nozzles, but they are both potential symptoms of the same root problem.

I used water that came through my Brita filter on my sink for the initial fillup. After it is hot enough to see how much water I go through in an average day I will see if I have to address that issue, or continue with my current method.

Unread 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a nice job. I've seen something similar in the past. And I guess its about that time of year to start thinking of stuff like that.

Up here in canada its usually already pretty humid. Wouldn't be as effective I dont think. If I lived down south where you are, I'd definitely think about something like that.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up!

I played around with this last year (hand pump), but pulled it out because I didn't have the correct nozzles. It really makes a difference, especially for my boys. It hovers right around 100F most of the summer, so with no A/C, this is a nice addition.
Unread 05-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
LarrySchwegman

If you paint the can blue. It becomes a water can.

Nice system
LarrySchwegman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not bad! I've seen expensive aftermarket setups, but I like the home-built setup even better. I might have put the nozzles on the front of the rack though, just so it isn't blocked when you have the rack loaded with stuff.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Signalsoldier

Thanks for sharing this....

This would make for a damn good project this summer. What would you say the final tally would be now that you know what is required for the build. I mean if you did this for another jeep would you optimize anything or roll with the current config.
Signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

fantastic idea and thank you for the good write up.
this has been a thought in the back of my head.
i would like to know what your water use ends up being as you use it more. I have a blue water jerry can i keep onboard in the summers, but would hate to think of running it dry since i have it for safety reasons on the heat as well, but getting it to do double duty would always be smart for a space confined jeep

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The expensive part is the pump. The Jerry can is not real cheap either. The rest is very inexpensive.

PARTS LIST APPROXIMATE PRICE
2 misting nozzles $10.00 at hardware store
1 RV water pump. 12V. 40psi. $130.00 from an RV shop
1 relay $5.00 from Radio Shack
1 switch $2.00 from Radio Shack
14g wire $400 from hardware store
loom $5.00 from auto parts store
¼ inch ID hose $6.00 from auto parts store
½ inch ID hose $5.00 from auto parts store
Jerry can $40.00

Unread 05-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Signalsoldier

The good thing about modding is that its non-linear and as long as you plan properly it should work well.

I see with mounting in the rear like that is optimal for driving conditions but I was thinking it would be nice to have two jets near the front that would be just over the driver and passenger.....here ini So Cal the traffic can be a *****...maybe some sort of cutoff that you can divert the spray from front to rear with ease.

let me put on my thinking cap.
Signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.