OME shocks on a Stock Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME shocks on a Stock Jeep?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Chad184
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OME shocks on a Stock Jeep?

I just got off the Phone with DPG Offroad and was told I could fit OME shocks on a Stock Jeep.

Why would I do that? I don't use the Jeep for crawling. It putters up and down Washboard forest roads, carries gear for our trips, and is generally a Weekend Car to get us out camping and hiking and such. I don' t have a lot of desire to lift it, but think it needs a a little upgrading without screwing up my ok gas milage. I can put a OME kit on it, but not sure if I need it for what we do. The Jeep will be on a lot of Washboard, a little mud, and a little slick rock in the spring during our annual three week trip to southern Utah.

What do you guys think? I just want to improve the ride a bit, get it to handle the gear easily, and keep it affordable to maintain and run.

Chad184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
HAYSHAKER170
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Many people will recommend OEM shocks. I've had them on my stock Jeep and they are much better than original. You may want to check out Rancho 9000's, they are adjustable. I have them now and I can leave them soft for daily driving, but when I go camping, pulling a dirt bike or going off road, I can adjust them up so it doesn't bottom out.
HAYSHAKER170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
jim9006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For youre scenario I's say spend that money on an on board air pump. That way you can air down your tires and the ride will be smooth as silk down those trails. When done you can air back up.
jim9006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Chad184
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'll look into the Rancho's. I'm not at all against doing a suspension lift, but I don't think I would need to. Have you had to replace your springs? Did you just replace w/ OEM parts or go with something else? I have no idea how long they should last or how to check if they are due to be replaced. My TJ has 131,000 miles on it.
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I vote for the Rancho RS9000XL 9 way adjustables... If you have ~$500 to spend on shocks. I keep them at 3/3 on the street & 1/1 on the trails helps a ton with washboards and potholes.
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Chad184
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9006 View Post
For youre scenario I's say spend that money on an on board air pump. That way you can air down your tires and the ride will be smooth as silk down those trails. When done you can air back up.
already have one and do it all the time. (homemade but works great)
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad184 View Post
What do you guys think? I just want to improve the ride a bit, get it to handle the gear easily, and keep it affordable to maintain and run.
OME N66 front shocks will fit stock in front, the N67 rear shocks will NOT fit. The N67 rear shocks need at least 1.25" rear bumpstop extension, which will lose a lot of uptravel over stock.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
55willystruck

Do you need new shocks? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. OME's fit a stock height rig because of the relatively short shock body, which is what makes them so popular. The regular N66/N67s will work stock up to around 3" of lift if I recall. They work fine for a stock weight rig without any extra armor-or gear. I ran a couple sets of them early on. They don't care for heavier loaded rigs though and hate long distance over washboard/gravel roads. They get too darned hot and fade fast rendering them basically useless if you're a heavier rig or carry a ton of gear. I killed both sets I had being heavily loaded in Moab and snapped the shaft and broke the eye off. For a stock rig, they're fine. Add weight, I don't care for them too much. Same goes for the OME springs. I ran them for a while on my heavy LJ Rubi and loved them at first when stock, but as I modded the rig and gained weight, the OME stuff just couldn't take the load anymore. Pull a trailer or carry gear and it just won't hold up. Before too long, they'd sagged out to relatively same height as stock and did me no good at that point.

The 9000 adjustable ranchos are great-the big body ones. Been very happy with them over the last few years they've been on. Nice to adjust for loads or terrain. If you need shocks and don't want to do any other mods, then I'd try these-sorry, I'm not sure what length you'd want though (in terms of part numbers) as I don't recall what that is for stock height. If you don't want or need the lift, then don't. If you're able to do everything you want out of the rig now, then you clearly don't "Need" a lift and bigger rubber. If you're already airing up/down the tires, great. if your shocks are bad, the 9000 adjustables would be a good swap for the stock rig. Otherwise to carry load long term and provide years of use, the AEV/Nth 3" springs with rancho shocks has worked well for me. They've out lasted the OMEs by a couple years now even under my heavy LJ and trailer towing. Granted I've lightened things up considerably since then and am changing yet again, but the AEV/rancho setup worked and seemed to work well regardless of load.

Be fore warned-if you start with a lift, then you'll want tires, then you'll need brakes and steering, then axles...

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
Do you need new shocks? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. OME's fit a stock height rig because of the relatively short shock body, which is what makes them so popular. The regular N66/N67s will work stock up to around 3" of lift if I recall. They work fine for a stock weight rig without any extra armor-or gear. I ran a couple sets of them early on. They don't care for heavier loaded rigs though and hate long distance over washboard/gravel roads. They get too darned hot and fade fast rendering them basically useless if you're a heavier rig or carry a ton of gear. I killed both sets I had being heavily loaded in Moab and snapped the shaft and broke the eye off. For a stock rig, they're fine. Add weight, I don't care for them too much. Same goes for the OME springs. I ran them for a while on my heavy LJ Rubi and loved them at first when stock, but as I modded the rig and gained weight, the OME stuff just couldn't take the load anymore. Pull a trailer or carry gear and it just won't hold up. Before too long, they'd sagged out to relatively same height as stock and did me no good at that point.

The 9000 adjustable ranchos are great-the big body ones. Been very happy with them over the last few years they've been on. Nice to adjust for loads or terrain. If you need shocks and don't want to do any other mods, then I'd try these-sorry, I'm not sure what length you'd want though (in terms of part numbers) as I don't recall what that is for stock height. If you don't want or need the lift, then don't. If you're able to do everything you want out of the rig now, then you clearly don't "Need" a lift and bigger rubber. If you're already airing up/down the tires, great. if your shocks are bad, the 9000 adjustables would be a good swap for the stock rig. Otherwise to carry load long term and provide years of use, the AEV/Nth 3" springs with rancho shocks has worked well for me. They've out lasted the OMEs by a couple years now even under my heavy LJ and trailer towing. Granted I've lightened things up considerably since then and am changing yet again, but the AEV/rancho setup worked and seemed to work well regardless of load.

Be fore warned-if you start with a lift, then you'll want tires, then you'll need brakes and steering, then axles...

Best of Luck,

Mike

55willystruck maybe the reason you snapped the shaft and broke the eye off is because the N67 shock is approximately 1" longer, compressed, than the factory stock shock. You were bottoming out on the shock instead of the bumpstop, when heavy. Did you check out these things? With a 1" body lift you can use Terraflex part 1244800 effectively raising the shock up one inch allowing it to work without increasing your bumpstops. Other companies have other methods to correct this problem. Or, you can stay with a stock compressed length shock, around 12.25".
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.