OME Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME Purchase

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
JeepOhio
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OME Purchase

In the next week or so, I am going to be ordering the OME lift (unless I can be talked into something else). I plan on spending about 1200 max on the suspension system alone, and I have comprised a list, which after months of research, I think will ride well and fit my soon to come 33's.

So far heres my shopping list
OME HD springs
OME Shocks
JKS 1.25" body lift
JKS 1" motor mount
JKS disconnects
Steering Stabilizer

I've heard mixed reviews about the JKS adj. trackbar and controversy about it being needed on such a small lift. Are they really needed to perfectly center the axle under the front end? Opinions?!

Thanks for all the help! As always, its a pleasure hearing from the JF experts.

Dan

JeepOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you want to center your axles you'll need the adjustable front and rear track bars. The OME kit comes with a bracket for the rear but from what I've read on here it's a pita to install. I didn't even bother with it. I installed JKS front and rear. The front does rub on my stock diff cover though. I probably should have extended the front bump stops but haven't yet. There is a thread on forum about this issue. I think Currie sells a front tb that will work with smaller lifts. With the shorter wheelbase you may need to do a tc drop also. You'll know once you install the lift whether you need to or not.
OME ZJ/LJ lift, 33" MT MTZ on AR-23 wheels, front and rear JKS trackbars, 1" seat risers, MORE 1" BL and MML, factory Ipod adapter. Light khaki jeep club #72
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought my OME kit, I comprised a list almost identical to yours. And, I bought the JKS front adjustable track bar, too. Being a nooby, I was content with the results of the lift install and shelved the JKS adj. track bar for about a year or more.

At this point I should mention I also added 1-1/4" Terflex Pucks to the springs.

Well, one day after a ride up a muddy washboard road to the trail head, I noticed my drivers side of the Jeep was significantly more muddy than the passenger side and decided I'd better check things out. Turns out the front axle was an inch or more off to the drivers side.

So, in the following week I pulled the shiny new adj. JKS trackbar off the shelf, and with the help of a friend who knew more about it than I, installed it. It corrected the alignment. No, it doesn't contact my factory d30 diff cover. Nor is there any conflict with my Currie Steering, but it's close...

EDIT; That OME rear trackbar bracket was a pita to install. At the time, I wasn't able to drill that last hole. One needs a 90 drill to do it, and I didn't have one so it never got done. Well, almost two years later, I noticed my Jeep was wandering an awful lot on the access road to my favorite trail. A little scary, made me drive like a drunk and I didn't know what was wrong.

Well, since I never fully installed that rear trackbar bracket, it had lost a nut, and the bolt had worked its way backwards towards the gas tank. Yes, it began whittling away at the plastic gas tank and a corner of the gas tank skid. Luckily, I caught it and fixed it, but, still wasn't able to drill that last hole until we did the pinion seal replacement at my buddy's house sometime after that.

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 07-02-2010 at 06:59 PM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Boston_Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check out the "Ultimate" kit from DPG Offroad. Call Dirk and he will help you out. It's a very complete kit; I installed it a couple months ago and have been very happy with it.
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the setup your looking at except that I also have JKS arms all the way around . It fits 33s great and rides better than stock . I was set on the HD springs too until I talked to Dirk at DPG and he steered me to a little lighter coil .

I havent gotten to wheel it besides behind the house , but I am happy with the entire purchase .
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have OME HD springs and JKS f/r adj. trackbars among other things. I modeled my build off of the Ultimate TJ Kit on DPG Off-Road, but with some changes and additions (see my profile). I also added a front 3/4" spacer due to having a winch (no body lift), and ended up with 3 3/4" lift in the front and 3 1/4" lift in the rear. I went with 32s due to my stock 3.73 gears and hanging the spare on the tailgate.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend you give Dirk at DPG or the folks at Northridge a call and speak with them about your current set up, the kind of use your Jeep sees and what you want to do with it in the future. Dirk was great about helping me understand what was necessary and how various pieces would affect the rest of the system. I'm told the folks at Northridge are equally knowledgeable and helpful.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd194505 View Post
So far heres my shopping list
OME HD springs
OME Shocks
JKS 1.25" body lift
JKS 1" motor mount
JKS disconnects
Steering Stabilizer
looks good, but I would add a ZJ tie-rod and cam-bolts to that. cheap and easy ways to beef up the steering and get some caster back after the lift. it will drive much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd194505 View Post
I've heard mixed reviews about the JKS adj. trackbar and controversy about it being needed on such a small lift. Are they really needed to perfectly center the axle under the front end? Opinions?!
the problem is no aftermarket track bar exists that clears the stock diff cover, or any aftermarket cover, with the N66 front shocks (13.3" compressed). You'd need to add 2" bumpstops to the front to run the nearest thing, the Currie track bar...and at that point you might as well run N66L shocks to get some downtravel. So IMHO, buy a welder, learn to weld, then either cut/sleeve the track bar or beef up the mount and drill a new offset hole.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ome , ome lift kit , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.