OME lift on LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME lift on LJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!1976-1986 Jeep CJ7 with Stationary Vent Windows Weatherstr

Unread 03-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
piratenation90
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OME lift on LJ

I am trying to figure out which # coils to go with. I want to
I had ZJ V8 ome front coils on my last jeep(had a massive front bumper and cage) and LJ coils in the back(949), rear bumper was massive too. If I go with those again what lift height am I looking at with a 50lb bumper and a medium size winch in the front and soft top with 100-200lbs of gear in the rear?

How do the light load and heavy load OME coils compare ride wise?

Does anyone have any input on how the ZJ coils(934) ride in comparison to the heavy load TJ coils (933)

It seems like there is only one option for the rear coil for an lj, or is there another coil that can be swapped in? (like the zj v8 can be swapped in for the front)

I know OME makes a 4" coil spring for the front and rear but I am trying to stay at 3" in front with winch and 2.5" rear with soft top and 100lbs gear, I have a hard top for it but it will not be on the jeep when I go wheeling.

Thanks for the help guys.

piratenation90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #2
gcdaz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I recently swapped out a set of Teraflex 2" lift springs with the heavy duty LJ springs OME 2949. I have a hardtop, rack, simple 3/16" boxed rear bumper with tire and jerry can holder. Carry a 33" tire and two 5 gallon cans most of the time. The Teraflex springs rode great except I would occasionally bottom them out hard on trails. That problem went away with the OMEs. I don't find the ride noticeably worse around town...maybe just a little stiffer, but it's a huge improvement offroad. I don't really bottom out now, but it also remains compliant, providing a smoother ride.

I can't help with your question about height. I didn't measure before the install.
gcdaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am running the OME ZJ heavy's up front and the TJ/LJ heavy's in the rear, after settling I gained 3"-1/8" on all fours corners.
My LJ is heavy,I am also on Bilstein shocks,my ride is good now that I have added all my armor,but bone stock she rode firm,not harsh but firm.
See Kolack he knows the set up well,he can also get you a good deal on what you need.
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratenation90 View Post
How do the light load and heavy load OME coils compare ride wise?

Does anyone have any input on how the ZJ coils(934) ride in comparison to the heavy load TJ coils (933)
no difference in ride that I could tell. have 934s now. 934s handle weight a lot better tho.

Quote:
It seems like there is only one option for the rear coil for an lj, or is there another coil that can be swapped in? (like the zj v8 can be swapped in for the front)
there's about 4 or 5 options. theres an even stiffer option than the 949...i want to say 996?

Quote:
I know OME makes a 4" coil spring for the front and rear but I am trying to stay at 3" in front with winch and 2.5" rear with soft top and 100lbs gear, I have a hard top for it but it will not be on the jeep when I go wheeling.

Thanks for the help guys.
take a look through my build thread...i used airlift bags to deal with the wide variation in load....might work for you too....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
take a look through my build thread...i used airlift bags to deal with the wide variation in load....might work for you too....
I forgot all about this^^^
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
piratenation90
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
I am running the OME ZJ heavy's up front and the TJ/LJ heavy's in the rear, after settling I gained 3"-1/8" on all fours corners.
My LJ is heavy,I am also on Bilstein shocks,my ride is good now that I have added all my armor,but bone stock she rode firm,not harsh but firm.
See Kolack he knows the set up well,he can also get you a good deal on what you need.
Thanks for the input everyone, really appreciate it. I bought my last lift my Kolak, talked to him last night about the LJ. Its funny that I am ordering the same coils for my LJ as I did my TJ. I had 315 Kumho MT's on 16" Moabs with spacers and zexon flat fenders. I didn't like the finish and fit of the flat fenders so I am staying with the stock fenders for now.
piratenation90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the 934 fronts and 949 rears at unlimited04 suggestion way back 5/13. Bought them from kolak with the bilsteins. After all my mods thus far Im sitting at 2.5" lift w/ 1.25" BL, 1"mml on 33s.
05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 04:10 AM   #8
Kolak
Vendor

Thanks for mentioning me everyone PM me if anyone has any lift questions.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
gcdaz
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I run airbags as well. I was having problems with them going flat after every run, so I decided to try the heavy OME 949s instead as a way to handle the tongue weight of the tent trailer I pull occasionally. To my surprise, they improved the ride even without the trailer. Eventually I did put the airbags back though, because even with the heavy springs, I had too much sag with the trailer on. (Apparently the problem was with the hoses...no leaks now that I replaced them.)
gcdaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.