Ome Lift Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ome Lift Advice

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ome Lift Advice

I need your help with this decision.

I currently am running the RE BB with DT3000 shocks and am VERY unhappy with the ride quality. For the money, it was great, but now a year later I am wanting the OME 2.5. I am currently running 265/75/16 MTR's on Rubicon wheels.

My question is this. Is OME really worth the money? Will it improve my ride as much as i read about?

My options are this. I can keep the BB and put OME shocks on for $289.00 shipped. OR...

I can spend $619.00 shipped for the OME 2.5" Heavy Duty springs setup...complete kit with OME shocks.

On the street, my jeep has a very jarring ride. It does good off road, very flexy with my disco's but is too stiff on small bumps. I am not opposed to spending the extra money, I just want that soft ride and am wondering if the difference warrants the extra money. also, if I do the OME, will I have any issues with the front trac bar? My jeep is perfect as far as steering, bumpsteer and vibes with the bb, the ride just sucks.

THANKS

AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
MCanavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB99TJ
I need your help with this decision.

I currently am running the RE BB with DT3000 shocks and am VERY unhappy with the ride quality. For the money, it was great, but now a year later I am wanting the OME 2.5. I am currently running 265/75/16 MTR's on Rubicon wheels.

My question is this. Is OME really worth the money? Will it improve my ride as much as i read about?

My options are this. I can keep the BB and put OME shocks on for $289.00 shipped. OR...

I can spend $619.00 shipped for the OME 2.5" Heavy Duty springs setup...complete kit with OME shocks.

On the street, my jeep has a very jarring ride. It does good off road, very flexy with my disco's but is too stiff on small bumps. I am not opposed to spending the extra money, I just want that soft ride and am wondering if the difference warrants the extra money. also, if I do the OME, will I have any issues with the front trac bar? My jeep is perfect as far as steering, bumpsteer and vibes with the bb, the ride just sucks.

THANKS
I know what you're talking about. I got a RE BB w/ RE TT thinking it would be awesome over stock. Its so stiff onroad that I feel every little bump and have trouble with the skinny pedal on some bumpy roads. The OME shocks with the RE BB wouldn't be that bad, but the OME springs and shocks are meant to be used together. From what I've read the OME is like night and day over the RE BB shocks. Talk to DC4WD for the OME lift.
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat as you SB99TJ. I put in a RE BB thinking 31's is all I'd ever go with. Now I already want a 2.5 to a 3.5 inch lift to put in 32's or 33's.

I'm between the OME and the RE superflex 3.5 with OME shocks. The only problem is all the things that get set in motion when you lift a Jeep at 3" or higher.

Anyone ever have both the RE BB lift and switched to the OME kit? Is so let us know how they compare.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
GlennH

with OME you can choose your coils HD, Med, LT etc. All depending on bumpers, ride, you know the drill. Most get HD because of Winches, bumpers, tire carriers etc.
GlennH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
selmo_yidna

I have a RE BB with OME shocks. the are the same shocks that you get with the full kit so I may add coil and trackbars later, but I am currently really happy with the setup. Nice ride. Super nice flex.
[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkRed]04 Stone White TJ Sport - 4.0l. RE BB. OME N66/N67 shocks. MT Classic II 15x8 wheels. 31x10.50 BFG AT tires. Midland CB. IPF 920H Headlights/ IPF Magic Glow bulbs. Kenwood CD/MP3 Player w/ SIRIUS tuner. 12" Alpine S type Sub/Crossfire amp. [/COLOR] [/B][/SIZE] [URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/c89/selmo_yidna/?action=view&current=jeep_side_shot.jpg&slideshow=true&interval=3]pics[/URL]
[B]Think Freely. Think Frequently.[/B]
selmo_yidna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

What OME shocks did you get? Soft, Med, or Heavy?
jkoffroadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #7
SlimShady
Camel Jockey Express.

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The OME rides vastly better than factory or RE 3.5 SF.....we have both lifts on jeeps at my house. OME shocks aren't rated light, medium and heavy, the spring kits are. There are (to my knowledge) two OME shocks available for a TJ...N66 and N67, good for up to 2.5 inches of lift, and N66L and N67L good for up to 4.5 inches of lift. Aftermarket control arm bushings will also change the ride in your jeep......making it feel much stiffer.

230gr @ 950 feet per second says you won't steal my property!!
SlimShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
SeaHoCapt

OME greatly improved my tired stock suspension w/159k on it at the time. I did the HD all around and even in the summer, doors off, no top, stock armor and no winch (bazsically no weight) at the time the ride was superior. Don't waste time on the MED, IMHO.

David
YORK OBA
Warn 95ti
SeaHoCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
BEANS

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Try this place. they are the best price I could find on the net and no shipping.

http://www.swissmountain4x4.com/index.cfm

The only problem with Swiss Mountain is they take so long to ship. It took a month for mine to come in. It was worth the wait!

I'm running 2 1/2" O.M.E Lt. I swear by it. I have been in Jeeps with your setup, I couldn't believe the difference.
JSK QUICK DISCONNECTS THAT I'LL NEVER DISCONNECT
LIMITED SLIP WITH 4.11'S FRONT AND BACK
S.Y.E
7'6" SNOWAY POLY PLOW
Elect Radiator fan on a Delta control
Borla Header, Catback Exhaust By Volant 304SS
BEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubioffroad
What OME shocks did you get? Soft, Med, or Heavy?
Do a search-The OME SPRINGS are rated Soft, Med, and Heavy-not the shocks. The shocks are all valved the same, regardless of what spring rate you get. There are two OME shocks, as someone else mentioned -the N66 and N67 for the 0-3" lift, and the N66L and N67L for 3-4" lift. Do NOT run the long travel version on the regular OME lift-it will be too long for such a small amount of lift, and bottom out upon compression. There is a 1.25" longer stroke up front and 1.5" longer stroke in the rear of the "L" series OME shock. Running these on the regular OME springs will damage the shock in short order.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
whiteTJgirl

My mom has the OME lift on her Rubicon and it rides great. I am also going to put the same lift on my jeep. Check out this website. The guy is really great to talk to and he will answer all of your questions. Just tell him what you want and what you will be doing with the jeep and he'll tell you exactly what you will need.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
whiteTJgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteTJgirl
My mom has the OME lift on her Rubicon and it rides great. I am also going to put the same lift on my jeep. Check out this website. The guy is really great to talk to and he will answer all of your questions. Just tell him what you want and what you will be doing with the jeep and he'll tell you exactly what you will need.

I think I like your family. I want to go higher, but like someone said above, as soon as you hit 3", you open the door to many more expenses. For the next couple years, this setup will work. After that, it's 4" OME springs with possible long arm..hmmmm. I have kids, need to snap out of it.

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming please.
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
DogPak

I had a RE BB on for a year and then switched to OME springs and shocks. I don't remember being unhappy with the BB but the OME kit definently did improve the ride and handleing both on road and off. If your not planning on going taller than 33" tires, which would require a BL, I can't imagine getting any better ride or handleing out of a suspension lift than what you get with the OME kit. As others have said, get the heavy springs all around. I made the mistake of getting meds. for the rear and ended up changing to the heavy springs.
As far as other required mods, I didn't have to do anything with either front or rear track bar but as we all know, all Jeeps are different. I had some minor driveline vibes with the BB which I just lived with but went with a SYE and CV driveshaft when I had the OME lift installed. I also ended up going with aftermarket rims with 4" back spacing as I had some rubbing on the front control arms, which I didn't have with the BB, when cranked all the way and I didn't want to lessen my turning radius by adjusting the steering stops.
Hope this helps some....
Good Luck and let us know what you decide on
'02 Sport, I6, 5spd., D44, 3.73 gears, SYE, CV Driveshaft, OME HD suspension, 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns on AR 767's, JKS Quicker Discos, Warn 8000i winch, 4xDoctor rockers, Steves Jeep Fab R. bumper-tire carrier, Top Five roof rack, ORF bolt in cage, skids front to rear.
DogPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
selmo_yidna

I got my stuff from dpgoffroad.com... great service, price and quick shipping. In shocks you can get a "comfort" rated model as well "N66c" but the comfort versions are not recommended by most people. I have a rather light TJ and find the normal N66/N67 are very comfortable.
[SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkRed]04 Stone White TJ Sport - 4.0l. RE BB. OME N66/N67 shocks. MT Classic II 15x8 wheels. 31x10.50 BFG AT tires. Midland CB. IPF 920H Headlights/ IPF Magic Glow bulbs. Kenwood CD/MP3 Player w/ SIRIUS tuner. 12" Alpine S type Sub/Crossfire amp. [/COLOR] [/B][/SIZE] [URL=http://photobucket.com/albums/c89/selmo_yidna/?action=view&current=jeep_side_shot.jpg&slideshow=true&interval=3]pics[/URL]
[B]Think Freely. Think Frequently.[/B]
selmo_yidna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteTJgirl

Your mom drives a lifted Jeep? Post pictures, is she hot, too?

I've been reading about OME for a year now, and I am likely to pull the trigger next weekend. I'll likely to go through DPG Offroad, I've heard nothing but good things about the company and their kits.

Something to keep in mind - DPG seems to be willing to work with you. I understand that the smooth ride of the OME springs comes at the cost of the things being soft enough to sag, even the HD springs. DPG has a kit where they'll match OME springs made for a ZJ for the front of your TJ, and LJ springs for the rear. I've heard this maintains the ride, but eliminates some of the sag problems you might run into with or without a winch, rear passengers, towing, hard tops, etc.

Even still, I've heard of people trimming BB pucks to level out their front end with OME springs. That, along with the need for a BL to fit the 33" tires, are the only concerns I have about buying the OME.

And I will do so next week. Wife approved
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.