OME Install: Comments, questions, and pure hatred for Torx bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME Install: Comments, questions, and pure hatred for Torx bolts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
OME Install: Comments, questions, and pure hatred for Torx bolts

OK, so hate is a very strong word.

WTH, it's appropriate. Torx is the tool of the Devil. In Hell, everything is built with Torx, and Hilter, Stalin, and Osama Bin Laden are forced to rebuild it all daily.

I got the front done today, with a few minor incidents and creativity:

1) The top shock mounts were a royal pain to remove. The piston would spin inside the shock, and no movement. This finally took an adjustable wrench on top, followed by a pair of needle-nose under the lower bushing once the nut got high enough.

2). My help couldn't show today, as his son got some stomach bug. I didn't want to wait, so I dug in... w/o a spring compressor. I could tell that a little pressure to push down the axle would help, but I wasn't going to drag my wife into this. So I got creative.

I pulled out the bottle jack, stuck it on the shock mount on the axle, and angled it up to push up against the frame. This pushed the axle down a couple of inches and I was able to get the springs in w/o unbolting the control arms. Careful not to over-do this, and expect the axle to bounce back up if it slips.

I still have to set the new adjustable track bar, and do an alignment, as well as re-torque everything. But I threw the new tires on it and started to the back.

I might have finished the spring install completely today were it not for the rear track bar. Nothing is going right with this thing:

1) The frame mount bolt will not come out. I got the nut off OK, but the trackbar twisted a bit once freed, and it's hung up in there. It's about 1/2 way out.

2) I can't budge the %$#@& Torx bolt on the axle mount. It would appear that I wasn't lucky enough to have a TJ built on Godzilla's day off in Toledo. What fool at DCX decided Torx were a good idea, especially in such a tight spot?

Before I started chewing up the Torx bolt to the point where it was totally hosed, I called it a night. I'm hoping some late-nighters here have some suggestions on how I might free that accursed thing.

PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Frank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMan
I pulled out the bottle jack, stuck it on the shock mount on the axle, and angled it up to push up against the frame. This pushed the axle down a couple of inches and I was able to get the springs in w/o unbolting the control arms. Careful not to over-do this, and expect the axle to bounce back up if it slips.
I did the same thing... a clear example of: brains > brawn!

As for the rear trackbar bolt being stuck, I had the same problem. If its the bolt at the axle-end that is stuck, try removing the bolt at the other end of the trackbar (frame -end). Also, make sure you make a run to your local parts store to buy a replacement hex bolt when you get that one out... trust me! If you think removing it was difficult, wait till its time to reinstall it.

Another thing that helped me were some heavy duty rachet straps. You can position them in various ways to pull you axle or trackbar into submission. Anyways, my $0.02, hope it helps.
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I did the same thing... a clear example of: brains > brawn!

As for the rear trackbar bolt being stuck, I had the same problem. If its the bolt at the axle-end that is stuck, try removing the bolt at the other end of the trackbar (frame -end). Also, make sure you make a run to your local parts store to buy a replacement hex bolt when you get that one out... trust me! If you think removing it was difficult, wait till its time to reinstall it.

Another thing that helped me were some heavy duty rachet straps. You can position them in various ways to pull you axle or trackbar into submission. Anyways, my $0.02, hope it helps.
Sorry to hijack, but LOVE the avatar Frank lol
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
bclevenger

My rear torx was siezed also, I heated, PB Blasted...for an hour then got out the grinder and ground the head off and popped it through the front side.

When you reassemble, do the frame side first, then the pumpkin side.... more clearance to pound on the bolt.

The front torx was siezed also, but I welded a nut to it and took the impact to it....it finally submitted.

Good luck.
bclevenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Russ Chung

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I used a ratchet strap and a jack on one side while pushing down on the other side. As you already know, it's a PITA to get the holes to line up. When the axle droops, the rear track bar twists, so I had to use a combination of strap, bottle jack, floor jack and jack stands (and a hammer) to get everything lined up so I could get the bolts in and out.
Unread 04-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
PackMan

Thanks for the input, guys. I figured I hadn't been the only guy to use the bottle jack trick before...

Looks like I'll have to remove the upper control arm on the driver's side to get to the other side of the trackbar. I wasn't sure if that was a nutsert or just a nut. That housing is bizarre, and thus far the most difficult thing I've run into.

If anyone else has ideas about the rear track bar, please weigh in. I'm sure I'll be screwing with this for a while.
Unread 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Frank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977
Sorry to hijack, but LOVE the avatar Frank lol
Thanks, one of my girlfriends offered to pose for the pic, so I let her...
Unread 04-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
RichardBailey

Frank, you make me feel a little better. I was fighting with that mess last week. Rear track bar and pitman arm were both an absolute pain in the *****. Took my grinder to both after spending waaayy too much time being nice about it. Be patient, it IS worthwile.
65 Backdraft Cobra 408 CI 440rwhp
67 Mustang Coupe 289 stock
02 Powerstroke CC 4 x 4 to pull the toys
RichardBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
PackMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBailey
Frank, you make me feel a little better. I was fighting with that mess last week. Rear track bar and pitman arm were both an absolute pain in the *****. Took my grinder to both after spending waaayy too much time being nice about it. Be patient, it IS worthwile.
I went to the local hardware store, the guy loaned me a piece of pipe to use as a cheater. It worked right away. I went back to get a 12mm bolt with an honest-to-God hex head to replace that, and he sold that pipe to me for a buck.

It is my new best friend.
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
fxanimator1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, O.K., but there's a guy on the rubiconOwnersForum that has the same avatar.
fxanimator1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Frank the Tank

Quote:
Quote:

Well, O.K., but there's a guy on the rubiconOwnersForum that has the same avatar.
I know... thats where I stole it from...
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMan
OK, so hate is a very strong word.

WTH, it's appropriate. Torx is the tool of the Devil. In Hell, everything is built with Torx, and Hilter, Stalin, and Osama Bin Laden are forced to rebuild it all daily.
sorry, can't resist, i didn't even read your post, you make me die! this goes directly on my sign..

Now i'll read your post
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.