JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   OME Install: Comments, questions, and pure hatred for Torx bolts (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ome-install-comments-questions-pure-hatred-torx-bolts-408210/)

PackMan 04-28-2007 11:43 PM

OME Install: Comments, questions, and pure hatred for Torx bolts

OK, so hate is a very strong word.

WTH, it's appropriate. Torx is the tool of the Devil. In Hell, everything is built with Torx, and Hilter, Stalin, and Osama Bin Laden are forced to rebuild it all daily.

I got the front done today, with a few minor incidents and creativity:

1) The top shock mounts were a royal pain to remove. The piston would spin inside the shock, and no movement. This finally took an adjustable wrench on top, followed by a pair of needle-nose under the lower bushing once the nut got high enough.

2). My help couldn't show today, as his son got some stomach bug. I didn't want to wait, so I dug in... w/o a spring compressor. I could tell that a little pressure to push down the axle would help, but I wasn't going to drag my wife into this. So I got creative.

I pulled out the bottle jack, stuck it on the shock mount on the axle, and angled it up to push up against the frame. This pushed the axle down a couple of inches and I was able to get the springs in w/o unbolting the control arms. Careful not to over-do this, and expect the axle to bounce back up if it slips.

I still have to set the new adjustable track bar, and do an alignment, as well as re-torque everything. But I threw the new tires on it and started to the back.

I might have finished the spring install completely today were it not for the rear track bar. Nothing is going right with this thing:

1) The frame mount bolt will not come out. I got the nut off OK, but the trackbar twisted a bit once freed, and it's hung up in there. It's about 1/2 way out.

2) I can't budge the %$#@& Torx bolt on the axle mount. It would appear that I wasn't lucky enough to have a TJ built on Godzilla's day off in Toledo. What fool at DCX decided Torx were a good idea, especially in such a tight spot?

Before I started chewing up the Torx bolt to the point where it was totally hosed, I called it a night. I'm hoping some late-nighters here have some suggestions on how I might free that accursed thing.

Frank the Tank 04-29-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackMan
I pulled out the bottle jack, stuck it on the shock mount on the axle, and angled it up to push up against the frame. This pushed the axle down a couple of inches and I was able to get the springs in w/o unbolting the control arms. Careful not to over-do this, and expect the axle to bounce back up if it slips.

I did the same thing... a clear example of: brains > brawn!

As for the rear trackbar bolt being stuck, I had the same problem. If its the bolt at the axle-end that is stuck, try removing the bolt at the other end of the trackbar (frame -end). Also, make sure you make a run to your local parts store to buy a replacement hex bolt when you get that one out... trust me! If you think removing it was difficult, wait till its time to reinstall it.

Another thing that helped me were some heavy duty rachet straps. You can position them in various ways to pull you axle or trackbar into submission. Anyways, my $0.02, hope it helps.

Jeepguy1977 04-29-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
I did the same thing... a clear example of: brains > brawn!

As for the rear trackbar bolt being stuck, I had the same problem. If its the bolt at the axle-end that is stuck, try removing the bolt at the other end of the trackbar (frame -end). Also, make sure you make a run to your local parts store to buy a replacement hex bolt when you get that one out... trust me! If you think removing it was difficult, wait till its time to reinstall it.

Another thing that helped me were some heavy duty rachet straps. You can position them in various ways to pull you axle or trackbar into submission. Anyways, my $0.02, hope it helps.

Sorry to hijack, but LOVE the avatar Frank lol

bclevenger 04-29-2007 07:18 AM

My rear torx was siezed also, I heated, PB Blasted...for an hour then got out the grinder and ground the head off and popped it through the front side.

When you reassemble, do the frame side first, then the pumpkin side.... more clearance to pound on the bolt.

The front torx was siezed also, but I welded a nut to it and took the impact to it....it finally submitted.

Good luck.

Russ Chung 04-29-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

I used a ratchet strap and a jack on one side while pushing down on the other side. As you already know, it's a PITA to get the holes to line up. When the axle droops, the rear track bar twists, so I had to use a combination of strap, bottle jack, floor jack and jack stands (and a hammer) to get everything lined up so I could get the bolts in and out.

PackMan 04-29-2007 09:13 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I figured I hadn't been the only guy to use the bottle jack trick before... :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll have to remove the upper control arm on the driver's side to get to the other side of the trackbar. I wasn't sure if that was a nutsert or just a nut. That housing is bizarre, and thus far the most difficult thing I've run into.

If anyone else has ideas about the rear track bar, please weigh in. I'm sure I'll be screwing with this for a while.

Frank the Tank 04-29-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977
Sorry to hijack, but LOVE the avatar Frank lol

Thanks, one of my girlfriends offered to pose for the pic, so I let her... :2thumbsup:

RichardBailey 04-29-2007 12:17 PM

Frank, you make me feel a little better. I was fighting with that mess last week. Rear track bar and pitman arm were both an absolute pain in the *****. Took my grinder to both after spending waaayy too much time being nice about it. Be patient, it IS worthwile.

PackMan 04-29-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardBailey
Frank, you make me feel a little better. I was fighting with that mess last week. Rear track bar and pitman arm were both an absolute pain in the *****. Took my grinder to both after spending waaayy too much time being nice about it. Be patient, it IS worthwile.

I went to the local hardware store, the guy loaned me a piece of pipe to use as a cheater. It worked right away. I went back to get a 12mm bolt with an honest-to-God hex head to replace that, and he sold that pipe to me for a buck.

It is my new best friend. :D

fxanimator1 04-29-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks, one of my girlfriends offered to pose for the pic, so I let her... :2thumbsup:

Well, O.K., but there's a guy on the rubiconOwnersForum that has the same avatar.

Frank the Tank 04-29-2007 08:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks, one of my girlfriends offered to pose for the pic, so I let her...

Well, O.K., but there's a guy on the rubiconOwnersForum that has the same avatar.
I know... thats where I stole it from...:teehee:

[ITA]Tsunami 04-29-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackMan
OK, so hate is a very strong word.

WTH, it's appropriate. Torx is the tool of the Devil. In Hell, everything is built with Torx, and Hilter, Stalin, and Osama Bin Laden are forced to rebuild it all daily.

sorry, can't resist, i didn't even read your post, you make me die! this goes directly on my sign.. :rofl: :rofl:

Now i'll read your post :D

The time now is 01:41 AM.