OME HK (Heavy Duty) Suspension Kit- Launch Time Without Heavy Bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OME HK (Heavy Duty) Suspension Kit- Launch Time Without Heavy Bumper?

Introducing the Quart Crate...JK Front Axle TrussPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OME HK (Heavy Duty) Suspension Kit- Launch Time Without Heavy Bumper?

I ordered an OME 2.5" kit, and based upon the 4.0 engine, a light brush guard up front, and plans to add an aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier this spring, I was told the proper lift would be the heavy (HK) version. Once I get this puppy on, am I going to be seriously rattled until I get the bumper and tire carrier on? I run with the rear seat in, 20-40 lbs of gear in back, and an oversized spare. What do you think? Is ballast going to be required in the meantime?

hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
BP88
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you asking if the ride is going to be rough without a bunch of heavy stuff in your rig? My OME HD kit rides pretty rough, but I don't mind it as I come from a background of rice rockets with stiff shocks and springs.
BP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

it all depends on your ride preference.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the OME Heavy duty set up with bumpers pretty close to stock weight. The ride is great as it sits (hard top and topless, it's all fine).. You won't be disappointed
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1. What is an HK kit?
2. What springs did you order?
3. What is it going to help asking if its going to be a rough ride when its already ordered, why not just wait and see?

If you ordered 933 and 942's which are known as the HD (heavy duty) TJ spring set up, and you only have the amount of weight you specified, yes your ride will be fairly jarring, adding more weight will help the ride. Although with the amount of weight you specified you will probably see 3" of lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
ryobi

An HK kit is an old man emu package. It is their heavy duty TJ suspension package (basic) part number OMETJHK. I have the spring rates that this item includes somewhere, probably at the office, if you really want them I'll find them. And it's quite clear in the post why he/she is asking. Is the ride going to require some adjusting during the time period between install of the suspension and the install of the ostensibly heavier rear bumper/carrier that likely led the vendor to prescribe an HK OME kit rather than a softer one, or is adding weight in the meantime not really a concern. I don't know the answer to that, but look forward to finding out....
ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I too have the OME HD kit. Without a lot of weight, yes it's quite stiff. Before I had my tire carrier on the back, I swear my CJ7 was smoother, and I even have the heviest TJ they made for 2000 (hardtop, 4.0, etc.). It does however, ride a lot smoother with a full tank of gas then when I'm running on fumes . But if you plan on adding more weight (winch, skids, OBA) like I do, then it'll be the right kit for you. You might have to live with it until you get more weight added to your Jeep.

Just a little suggestion. Get an Adjustable track bar for the front and rear if your bank account allows you. The rear relocation bracket puts too much stress on the stock bracket, causing it to crack.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.

Last edited by LJameson; 03-11-2009 at 01:22 AM..
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
CosmosMariner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about to run the same kit you ask about, and my weight is about like yours. I agree- it's subjective. My TJ rides hard, and that's with stock shocks/springs with 100K+ on them. I can't see the HD being much harder, but hope to have significantly reduced roll and bounce over the ancient stock suspension.
CosmosMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
dm0ney
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I put on the OME HD kit on my '99 TJ a few years ago, replacing my stock springs/shocks that had 70k+ miles on them. I have the 4.0L engine and stock bumpers, with the only noticeable weight added beyond stock being a Kilby gas skid, so I'd say my Jeep is pretty light. As others have said, it all comes down to individual preference, but I like the ride and I wouldn't call it rough at all, even compared to my worn out springs/shocks. Then again, this is a Jeep, so I'm not looking for a soft/squishy ride.
dm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.