Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OME HK (Heavy Duty) Suspension Kit- Launch Time Without Heavy Bumper?

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dm0ney 
#1 ·
I ordered an OME 2.5" kit, and based upon the 4.0 engine, a light brush guard up front, and plans to add an aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier this spring, I was told the proper lift would be the heavy (HK) version. Once I get this puppy on, am I going to be seriously rattled until I get the bumper and tire carrier on? I run with the rear seat in, 20-40 lbs of gear in back, and an oversized spare. What do you think? Is ballast going to be required in the meantime?

#5 ·
1. What is an HK kit?
2. What springs did you order?
3. What is it going to help asking if its going to be a rough ride when its already ordered, why not just wait and see?

If you ordered 933 and 942's which are known as the HD (heavy duty) TJ spring set up, and you only have the amount of weight you specified, yes your ride will be fairly jarring, adding more weight will help the ride. Although with the amount of weight you specified you will probably see 3" of lift.

#6 ·
An HK kit is an old man emu package. It is their heavy duty TJ suspension package (basic) part number OMETJHK. I have the spring rates that this item includes somewhere, probably at the office, if you really want them I'll find them. And it's quite clear in the post why he/she is asking. Is the ride going to require some adjusting during the time period between install of the suspension and the install of the ostensibly heavier rear bumper/carrier that likely led the vendor to prescribe an HK OME kit rather than a softer one, or is adding weight in the meantime not really a concern. I don't know the answer to that, but look forward to finding out.... :)

#7 · (Edited)
I too have the OME HD kit. Without a lot of weight, yes it's quite stiff. Before I had my tire carrier on the back, I swear my CJ7 was smoother, and I even have the heviest TJ they made for 2000 (hardtop, 4.0, etc.). It does however, ride a lot smoother with a full tank of gas then when I'm running on fumes :D. But if you plan on adding more weight (winch, skids, OBA) like I do, then it'll be the right kit for you. You might have to live with it until you get more weight added to your Jeep.

Just a little suggestion. Get an Adjustable track bar for the front and rear if your bank account allows you. The rear relocation bracket puts too much stress on the stock bracket, causing it to crack.

#8 ·
I'm about to run the same kit you ask about, and my weight is about like yours. I agree- it's subjective. My TJ rides hard, and that's with stock shocks/springs with 100K+ on them. I can't see the HD being much harder, but hope to have significantly reduced roll and bounce over the ancient stock suspension.

#9 ·
I put on the OME HD kit on my '99 TJ a few years ago, replacing my stock springs/shocks that had 70k+ miles on them. I have the 4.0L engine and stock bumpers, with the only noticeable weight added beyond stock being a Kilby gas skid, so I'd say my Jeep is pretty light. As others have said, it all comes down to individual preference, but I like the ride and I wouldn't call it rough at all, even compared to my worn out springs/shocks. Then again, this is a Jeep, so I'm not looking for a soft/squishy ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.