Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

OME Basic 2" Lift - Install Price

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  azcoyote 
#1 ·
I will have a basic Old Man EMU 2.5" lift arriving Monday. Unfortunately, I find myself out of town for 2 weeks and tied up even longer. I'm considering having a local 4wd shop install the lift. If I do so, what is a reasonable price to pay for installing the 4 springs, 4 shocks, and the relocation bracket included with this lift?

#2 ·
I've never had anything installed on my jeep at a shop, A) because I dont trust them, and B) I'd rather do it. But years ago I got a quote on a kit like that and they wanted to charge around 500 dollars in labor. If you buy the kit from them, they make the kit cheaper and charge more for labor. so if you buy the kit full price, you'll be ending up paying way more than if you had bought the kit there and had it installed.
I would just the two weeks out and get excited about doing it yourself if thats an option. soak everything up in PB blaster for these next to weeks.
Welcome to Jeepforum!

#3 ·
See if you can find someone on the forum who'll help you out for a reduced price. I was lucky and someone saw me posting a similar thread and volunteered to help for really cheap.

For anyone with experience, your install is probably really easy.

#6 ·
if you're going to be tied up so tightly, then you won't have time to wheel anyway.

Install it when you have time. I did my front end then my rear a week later because of school/work. It didn't look bad either, a little goofy, but ok for short term. I wish I had taken pics of it like that... but I was busy.

#7 ·
In a ASE shop with a lift and air tools just springs,shocks,bumpstops,trackbar bracket,and t-case kit [ if needed ] should not take more than 4 hours including adjusting toe in.Get an hourly price first.I took probably 7 hours to do in my shop with no lift,only jackstands,I didn't have to use t-case drop.The only real time consumer is getting trackbar off to install bracket.

#11 ·
I needed 2.5 hours to install the lift in my driveway.

#12 ·
Local 4wd shop quotes 300 out the door, including alignment. Sounds a little steep. But figuring I have limited tools, adding up the time doing the install and at the alignment shop, it's not really that bad.

#14 ·
My time is at a premium. It is a far better value to have a reasonably priced reputable shop put a lift on than to do it at home. But then you lose the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I've done it both ways. Sometimes I'd have been better off doing it myself, others it would have been far better do pay to have it done.

#16 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I would like to think that I have reasonal wrenching skills, but really not sure. from searches, I haven't found a pic by pic thread on how to install a basic lift (springs, shocks, TL) also not sure if I have all the tools I need. Do I need power tools?

some wrenchin on Jeeps I've done are.

install headers & cat back
install water pump
install brake pads
install new throtle body.
Install fan clutch.

Am I qualified?
other issues on the table are, jeep is a daily driver, can't have it out of comission.
don't have 10 plus hours to install. Family time is very valuable to me.

Divinitous, where in the East coast are you located. I can acomodate your install requirements.

#21 ·
I'm in a similar situation. I would like to think that I have reasonal wrenching skills, but really not sure. from searches, I haven't found a pic by pic thread on how to install a basic lift (springs, shocks, TL) also not sure if I have all the tools I need. Do I need power tools?

some wrenchin on Jeeps I've done are.

install headers & cat back
install water pump
install brake pads
install new throtle body.
Install fan clutch.

Am I qualified?
other issues on the table are, jeep is a daily driver, can't have it out of comission.
don't have 10 plus hours to install. Family time is very valuable to me.

Divinitous, where in the East coast are you located. I can acomodate your install requirements.
Look at any online instructions on installing a budget boost and you have all the instructions you need. The one on 4x4xplor.com is pretty good.
http://4x4xplor.com/REBB.html

#18 ·
I did it, but with the safety net of the guys in the local 4WD shop watching and helping. The totally "got" that I wanted to be hands on with it. They did weld my trackbar relocation bracket to prevent cracking. Was easy, but would have taken far far longer had they not pointed out tips and tricks to make it go smoother- and the lift was indespensable. I'll service the brakes all around and replace the LCA's this weekend in my driveway. The lift is exquisite. I'd have done it a long time ago if I'd known how great it would ride and look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.