Ome 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ome 2.5

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ome 2.5

has anyone successfully installed the OME kit with out having to add in the transfer case spacers to prevent wobbles. I am talking about doing this with out a body lift or SYE/new driveshaft or a motor mount lift. I know all jeeps are different. Should i even bother installing OME without the spacers or will i most definitly get vibes. I am not currently planning to do a SYE or MML(maybe in 2 years when i can afford a good tummy tuck) and body lifts are a big no no in my rule book and they will look terrible with my metal cloak front fenders with the inner fender custom cut out for the jeep w/o a BL. I WILL NEVER BL.

inglisleslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
catITguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure you would need it. I have that lift and with a 1" MML I have no vibes. I think you could do a MML w/o a BL if you relocate the fan shroud, dont quote me on that though.

If you are ok w/ a tcase drop, you can make your own with some longer bolts and a few washers. Add one or two, drive it. Still have vibes? Add another washer or two. Repeat until no vibes. If drop it more than about an inch and still have vibes, theres more to it than the lift.
33x12.5 GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs
catITguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catITguy View Post
Im pretty sure you would need it. I have that lift and with a 1" MML I have no vibes. I think you could do a MML w/o a BL if you relocate the fan shroud, dont quote me on that though.

If you are ok w/ a tcase drop, you can make your own with some longer bolts and a few washers. Add one or two, drive it. Still have vibes? Add another washer or two. Repeat until no vibes. If drop it more than about an inch and still have vibes, theres more to it than the lift.
hmmm...Well i do have the T-case drop that came with the lift its just FUGLY. Why lift your jeep only 2.5" to have to drop your belly 1".?.? I am going for a LCOG with 35's under my 2.5 OME and i am going to get hung up on enough stuff as is, the transfer case in pushing my belly in the wrong direction...AHHHHH driving me nuts. Oh well im not going to install till after the 4th because my torque wrench is in the mail and my jack stands are backordered at JC whitney...another annoyance...I am focusing on LEDs gauge and HVAC mods for the time being
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
catITguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ooooh going big tires with LCOG, I definitely would look at alternatives to the tcase drop. As you mentioned, you'll want all the clearance you can get. MML is pretty cheap (I want to say $60 or so for JKS) but you'd want a 2nd opinion on whether or not you can do it w/o the BL. Again, I think you can, but not 100% on that.
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Someone help me please. Can I eliminate the use of transfer spacers on my OME by just adding a motor mount lift(MML) or is there more required? I feel like if it was this simple OME would have included a MML instead of t-case spacers. OME is a good company and are made my ARB...they know what they are doing, but do I? Any other opinion on how to avoid the use of transfer case spacers without the use of a nasty body lift?
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

will this eliminate my need for t-case spacers on the OME?

CU2883-1 Jeep TJ & LJ 1" MML, Ultra-Flex Rubber
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

they are rubber too and not poly!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
catITguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If they will lift your engine up an inch, they should.
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
flagators
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A MML should eliminate your vibs if you have any. Here is the but.. Every jeep is different. I got a RC 2.5" lift installed and I recently installed a MML and I still have vibs.. I refuse to drop the TC so I just purchased rear upper adjustable controls arm to try and dial in the pinion angle.

Good luck.
flagators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

after some research it looks like you can install a MML an eliminate the ugly t-case spacers but you will need to modify your fan shroud and redrill its mounting holes/raise the shroud 1" to prevent contact. The driveline clearance will be tight and a new transfer case(tummy tuck) would probably not be possible without some serious cutting grinding...i just refuse to do a body lift because it will make my inner alum fender walls on my arched metal cloaks look so fugly with that added 1" gap.
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I want an update when you are done! I am also seriously considering the OME kit and would like to do without the TC drop as well. Here is a post from a BDS thread where someone installed a MML W/O a BL... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bd...6/#post9655716
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
I want an update when you are done! I am also seriously considering the OME kit and would like to do without the TC drop as well. Here is a post from a BDS thread where someone installed a MML W/O a BL... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bd...6/#post9655716
haha i was hopeing that someone else had tried this with OME so that i w ould not be the ginnie pig. but all jeeps are different with the drive line so what works for me may not work for others..we are talking about millimeters here guys and the jeeps were not manufactured with identical drive line angles
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You Can !

You have to install rear upper adjustable control arms! (and pull the axle back in...)
The OE style rear drive shaft needs to have the rear pinion angle set correctly not to stress(->vibes) the U-joints ... BUT IT IS DIFFERENT THAN WITH CV\SYE!

The OE driveshaft needs the rear pinion to be PARALLEL to the transfer case output!
(Whereas the CV style DS needs the rear pinion to be parallel to the main DS shaft!)

A MML only reduces the angle difference between TC output and rear pinion ... but the OME 2" HD sits quite high in the back (more like 3"!). So the MML alone is no warranty. But with the adjustable rear upper control arms (which you will need sooner or later any way) you have the possibility to correct angles.

btw: if you really dislike BL/MML, then the only alternative for a HIGH clearance tummy tuck/belly up comes from AEV/Nth!
... or UCF skid with lopro TC mount... recently
(so it IS possible to live WITHOUT a BL!)

ciao
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
inglisleslie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
You have to install rear upper adjustable control arms! (and pull the axle back in...)
The OE style rear drive shaft needs to have the rear pinion angle set correctly not to stress(->vibes) the U-joints ... BUT IT IS DIFFERENT THAN WITH CV\SYE!

The OE driveshaft needs the rear pinion to be PARALLEL to the transfer case output!
(Whereas the CV style DS needs the rear pinion to be parallel to the main DS shaft!)

A MML only reduces the angle difference between TC output and rear pinion ... but the OME 2" HD sits quite high in the back (more like 3"!). So the MML alone is no warranty. But with the adjustable rear upper control arms (which you will need sooner or later any way) you have the possibility to correct angles.

btw: if you really dislike BL/MML, then the only alternative for a HIGH clearance tummy tuck/belly up comes from AEV/Nth!
... or UCF skid with lopro TC mount... recently
(so it IS possible to live WITHOUT a BL!)

ciao
thank you so much ciao, you just saved me a great deal of time. if it was as easy as $100 motor mount it would be done asap but there is too mcu to do in my mind, haha ALL i can think about now is an Nth degree tummy tuck with OME t-case spacers,,,EPIC FAIL! hahaha
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ciao is the italian word for "bye" ... my alias is "chmo"

now seriously :
ANY high clearance TT will REQUIRE a SYE/CV ... AND ... adjustable rear upper CAs (at least) !!!
So if you are going that direction, start with the adjustable UCAs to get rid of the TC drop first, then get later your CV/SYE and skid combo ... then you have to re adjust your pinion angle "the other way"!

The Nth skid drove me crazy for quite a while as well ... hahaha ...
at the moment I am hooked to the AEV highline conversion on top of the OME lift. 35" tires with no further supension lift seems to have priority now... (it will lift the belly 2" anyway )
(which means re gearing as well ... and maybe powertrax no-slip/Detroit TrueTrac Front/Rear instead of the Nth skid in the next step!?)

but ... $$$$

Last edited by chmo; 06-28-2010 at 11:56 PM..
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ome , ome lift kit , old man enu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.