Olympic Sierra Rack mounted to spare. Anybody have one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Olympic Sierra Rack mounted to spare. Anybody have one?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 07-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Olympic Sierra Rack mounted to spare. Anybody have one?

With my daughter now able to ride in my jeep in a forward facing car seat (the rear facing seat didn't fit for crap), storage space is non-existant. I'm thinking of buying this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12036_800_07.htm

It says it will hold 75lbs, but if I fabricate some quick disconnect braces that run from the bottom of the carrier to the bumper or door, then I should be able to carry more. I would love to be able to mount my Hi-Lift UNDER the rack (in a waterproof case).

So, bottom line: Is this a quality product? Is the tailgate able to support the extra weight?

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I'd just be careful because you have the weight of the tire on the bracket and the wright of the rack and the weight of whatevet else you put in it. I suppose the supports would help, but be very careful, you dont want to brake your spare tire bracket.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
I'd just be careful because you have the weight of the tire on the bracket and the wright of the rack and the weight of whatevet else you put in it. I suppose the supports would help, but be very careful, you dont want to brake your spare tire bracket.
Yeah, I recognize that weakness which is why I would fabricate some supports. And after thinking about it more based on your response, I would probably run them to the bumper. That way a lot of the weight would be supported there.

Anyone have one?
Unread 07-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I own the Olympic Stinger, I had heard rumors of Olympic being crappy products before I bought mine but blew them off.

When I got my Stinger there was a run in the powdercoat from the tip all the way to the bottom of the drivers side. Also, on the same side underneth where it bolts to the frame the hole was off so the bolt went in at an angle.

I understand sometimes products get screwed up, it happens. But when my Stinger was obviously hand wrapped(with sections of cardboard and packaging tape, then placed in a large clear plastic bag... It shows how terrible their quality control is. Whoever wrapped it should have noticed the powdercoat run - it's impossible to miss.

I didn't bother emailing back the company, as I'll have it Line-X'd anyways(I don't trust powdercoat for anything). And eventually I'll get around to having the bolt hole reamed out at the local shop to fit a bit better.

But you get what you pay for, Olympic is a cheaper alternative to other brands. And personally while I like the look of their products - I will never buy from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. Are there any other carriers that mount to the spare? Mine would be mounted full time, so I don't want a hitch rack. I also don't like the ones that mount ABOVE the spare. Too hard to access and cargo would stick up too high.

So I'm sold on a spare tire rack and this is the only one I can find. I may be stuck with it.
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep
With my daughter now able to ride in my jeep in a forward facing car seat (the rear facing seat didn't fit for crap), storage space is non-existant. I'm thinking of buying this:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12036_800_07.htm

Did any one else get a laugh thinking he was going to put his daughter in the rack?!?!

Maybe its just me.
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.