Oil Pump Problem?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pump Problem??

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oil Pump Problem??

A friend of mine in Daytona has a 97 Sahara with the 4.0 engine. Around 92k miles. She just bought it about a month ago.

She called a little bit ago and the "check guages" light came on in the cluster. Her oil pressure guage reads just barely above zero when it is running. She has checked the oil and it is full, there are no leaks anywhere. What stumps me is this: I would think that if an engine is running with very little to no oil getting on the top side, you should hear the rockers tapping. She claims it is a silent as it always is.

My first thought is oil pump failure, but the guage/sending unit could be failing as well?

Since I am 1100 miles away, obviously I am not going to be the one to fix the problem, but was wanting to see if anyone else has had this issue so she could be armed with a little bit of information so when she goes to a repair shop, she can be prepared.

Thanks!

Unread 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
carpekd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oil pressure sending units are bad to go out in the tj's...that's probably what it is.
carpekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpekd View Post
oil pressure sending units are bad to go out in the tj's...that's probably what it is.
Yup, that's my first guess.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

check it with a mechanical gauge. if it has pressure it's probably the sender. if not, its a much deeper (and more expensive) problem.
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

mine has been doing the same thing, figure it's the sending unit since at idle the pressure is way down but the sec you touch the gas it's right back to where it should be...
Unread 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
carpekd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafikie View Post
mine has been doing the same thing, figure it's the sending unit since at idle the pressure is way down but the sec you touch the gas it's right back to where it should be...
Every time I've seen a sending unit go bad, the gauge either jumps erratically or doesn't work at all.
carpekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
grinwa
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When mine went out it pegged high.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
grinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies!

I e-mailed her with the replies and hopefully, she will be armed with a bit of information when she see's a mechanic.

Thanks!
Unread 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
litebrite2001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OP, mine was doing the same thing. Everytime the car came to a stop the gauge would go to 0 and the check gauges light would come on. I replaced the sending unit and the problem went away. I bought the sending unit from autozone for $22. Cheaper than Advance and Oreillys. The sending unit is a cinch to replace. Its right next to the oil filter. I just used channel locks to remove it, and the new one already had thread coating on it.
litebrite2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.