oil pump issue? ...you make the call - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil pump issue? ...you make the call

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
firemedicjth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

oil pump issue? ...you make the call

After searching the threads, I found one that was close but not quite my deal. At random times (it's happened after starting the motor hot or cold) the oil pressure will fail to come up until I throttle up a little. It will come up from 0 after about 20 or 30 seconds and run fine. It runs fine, oil changed regularly by me. Using a 10w oil.
The other day i noticed that the pressure went to the low end (20ish) and then my temp started rising slowly until finally it pegged. I cranked up the heat (on a 75 degree day) and I had to get out of traffic and the pressure came back up, and subsequently, the temp came back down to 210. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Joe

firemedicjth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedicjth View Post
After searching the threads, I found one that was close but not quite my deal. At random times (it's happened after starting the motor hot or cold) the oil pressure will fail to come up until I throttle up a little. It will come up from 0 after about 20 or 30 seconds and run fine. It runs fine, oil changed regularly by me. Using a 10w oil.
The other day i noticed that the pressure went to the low end (20ish) and then my temp started rising slowly until finally it pegged. I cranked up the heat (on a 75 degree day) and I had to get out of traffic and the pressure came back up, and subsequently, the temp came back down to 210. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Joe
1) It would be more likely that overheating caused the oil temp to rise as well, which makes it thinner, so it flows better, lowering the oil pressure- the opposite wouldnīt really happen- if your oil pump stopped pumping oil, your engine would be destroyed before your cooling system was no longer able to stay cool-

2) Oil pressure is usually 0 for a few seconds after starting the vehicle until the pump builds adequate pressure. If itīs taking way longer, I would first consider changing oil filter brands (could have crappy flowback valves in your current brand, causing the filter to drain after engine shutdown), secondly I would use a cheap mechanical gauge w/ 1/8" NPT fitting connected inline with the sending unit with a 1/8" NPT tee fitting to verify pressure at startup, and if that checked out, I would replace the sending unit ($35 at autozone)

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oil pressure sending unit may be faulty. I already had to replace mine, was doing the same thing, and we have the same year JEEPS.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
Oil pressure sending unit may be faulty. I already had to replace mine, was doing the same thing, and we have the same year JEEPS.
This would be a good place to start. I had the same issues with mine besides the temp gauge. It would be much easier to try than dropping the oil pan.
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
firemedicjth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

so I'm driving in clean air and the temp is perfectly fine. when I get off the interstate it starts to climb. could the fan clutch be going bad. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and radiator last fall. Got a bum one that failed so just replaced with a new radiator. there doesn't appear to be any leaks that I can find.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

10 weight oil? I hope you mean like 10w30? Most likely is the oil sending unit,Before I condemed the oil pump I would want to verify oil pressure with a mechanical guage.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

/\ /\ /\ This /\ /\ /\
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
firemedicjth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips everyone. Yes, it's 10W30. I'll give the OSU a try this weekend and see what it does. Someone else mentioned the overheating issue causing the oil to thin out which dropped the gauge which is why I asked about the fan clutch possibility.

Tags
oil pump , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.