Oil Pump Drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pump Drive?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
coloradojeep

Oil Pump Drive?

My 2006 unlimited started exhibiting a loud noise with a cold start. *primarily in the early morning and the outside temp at or below 20 F* It was a loud squeel loud enough to be heard in the house from outside. It would go away if you shut it off and turned it back over or if you let it warm up and drive a little *less then 2 blocks*

It tood the Jeep service department near my home almost two weeks to diagnose *We had the cold snap come and go during that time and they had a hard time replicating it* Thank goodness it made the noise for the service manager when he went to move it for us at the dealership for drop-off.

They claim the oil pump drive had been siezing *sp?* and replaced the oil pump drive gear and shaft.

My question is this...do I need to worry about any long-term damage from this in my engine and has anyone else experienced this problem as well. *It took them two weeks and I'm dissapointed to say the least*

One other piece that I am told is normal noise is to get a 'hum' for lack of technical description when moving into 2nd gear *This is a 6sp manual on 4.0 engine block* and goes away with depressing the clutch to move into 3rd gear. I am told this is 'normal for some jeeps' as it is associated with the throw out bearing. This is my first Jeep, but all other manuals that started making noise *trucks and cars* with the throwout bearing usually meant the bearing is bad or going to be if not taken care of.

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!

coloradojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
ytodd

the impersonator was here too eh?

I recall something similar posted over on ROF about this and possibly a TSB being reference.

Worth checking over there if you don't get any input here.

ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
coloradojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytodd
the impersonator was here too eh?

I recall something similar posted over on ROF about this and possibly a TSB being reference.

Worth checking over there if you don't get any input here.

I'm kind of new around here. What's ROF? TSB...not familiar either.

Thanks!
Unread 02-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
ytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradojeep
I'm kind of new around here. What's ROF? TSB...not familiar either.

Thanks!
sorry....

ROF = www.rubiconownersforum.com some good tech there, and since the motor is the same in your LJ and the rubi the tech crosses over.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Your dealer can research these for you or there are some places online too.
ytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
coloradojeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytodd
sorry....

ROF = www.rubiconownersforum.com some good tech there, and since the motor is the same in your LJ and the rubi the tech crosses over.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. Your dealer can research these for you or there are some places online too.
Thanks I'll check out rubi forums. I checked for TSB's but didn't find one to match on edmunds or ownersite. Is there anywhere else I can check for TSB's?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.