oil psi at idle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil psi at idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
thisgardengrove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
You are absolutely right Jerry and if I lived in the cold climate I would run 5w-40w Rotella Synthetic.
One needs to run what weight oil for the climate he/she lives in.
every engine is designed to operate with specific oil weights and for this case jeep recommends 5w30 for cold climates and 10w30 for hot climates, running other oil wieghts not recommended for that engine can result in damage to the engine over time blocking oil passeges and etc. Rotella oils are generally recommended for use in diesel motors, especially the 15w40 weight. Just my 2 cents

thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well firstvof Rotella is SM rated same as Mobile 1 and all other new passenger car oils. 2nd, my rig has 140000 there is bound to he some wear in there the extra viscosity helps fill in the gaps so to speak. My hot idle pressure is good and I have no issues at all with cooling etc. 3rd maybe you didn't see at the end of my last post that 15/40 was factory fill for export TJ's that didn't have to meet CAFE standards.
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgardengrove View Post
every engine is designed to operate with specific oil weights and for this case jeep recommends 5w30 for cold climates and 10w30 for hot climates, running other oil wieghts not recommended for that engine can result in damage to the engine over time blocking oil passeges and etc. Rotella oils are generally recommended for use in diesel motors, especially the 15w40 weight. Just my 2 cents
Ya ya I hear ya but I also read the lable too. Also 100k miles of using it has proved it works just fine for my application....if it doesn't then how many miles will it last with 15w-40w Rotella? 2 or 300K...I can live with that.

I have run Rotella in everything I own from lawnmowers to my 13L Cat, no complaints from any of em as of yet.....I do Know my Jeep does not like Fram oil filters though, the Jeep made four of em in a row leak...I would have given up on the first one but I had to make a proper test to make sure it was the filters.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Im between 40-45 psi while driving and 30-40 PSI at idle. I run 10w-30 Castrol GTX High Milage with a Wix filter

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

FYI, the oil pressure reading is back pressure from the engine components. Once the clearances in the crank and lesser so cam bearing increases, the oil pressure will be less. But that doesn't mean the oil flow is less. Adding a heavy weight oil to correct the oil reading is like pissing in your pants, is a nice warm feeling, but it's not doing your engine any good. Flow is what you want, it will prolong the life of your engine. Using a heavier weight oil to make the gauge look good is a bad idea.

I've run many engines with low oil pressure because they were just old and worn. But all of them kept running for a long time. If your engine was new and had low pressure, then I might worry. If it has 100K, then I wouldn't worry, I would just plan for a rebuild. And run it till it dies. You'll be surprized how long it will run just fine this way. But if you want to shorten it's life, by all means, increase the viscosity. And while your smiling at the new gauge reading, go ahead and relieve your self in the drivers seat...............
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely put Dryseals, that says it in a nutshell.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #22
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
FYI, the oil pressure reading is back pressure from the engine components. Once the clearances in the crank and lesser so cam bearing increases, the oil pressure will be less. But that doesn't mean the oil flow is less. Adding a heavy weight oil to correct the oil reading is like pissing in your pants, is a nice warm feeling, but it's not doing your engine any good. Flow is what you want, it will prolong the life of your engine. Using a heavier weight oil to make the gauge look good is a bad idea.

I've run many engines with low oil pressure because they were just old and worn. But all of them kept running for a long time. If your engine was new and had low pressure, then I might worry. If it has 100K, then I wouldn't worry, I would just plan for a rebuild. And run it till it dies. You'll be surprized how long it will run just fine this way. But if you want to shorten it's life, by all means, increase the viscosity. And while your smiling at the new gauge reading, go ahead and relieve your self in the drivers seat...............

Very well put. I didn't notice any oil pressure increse in mine 8 years ago when I went to 15w-40w and it still runs the same psi.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Skyryder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Like I stated, I started using the 15-40 to get rid of the warning chime @ low/stall RPM, and it did just that! I didn't like the bells and whistles falsely going off when there wasn't a problem. When and if the time ever comes that using that oil causes premature engine wear and failure I'll pee your paints for ya.
Black Jeep Society #264
Skyryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
oil pressure , idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.