Oil Pressure Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pressure Issue

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
trakwrkr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Pressure Issue

I've been reading various forums trying to come up with an answer to my oil pressure issue.

I have 2000 TJ 4.0L.

After lots of driving the oil pressure will drop to 0 and make the idiot light come on. It appears that once I change the oil the problem goes away for a little bit, but it's coming back on. The engine will stutter at a light when the pressure drops but it's fine after I get going again.

The oil is at the right level. I took it to the local Jeep dealership and they said it was fine, but I don't think they ran it long enough for the problem to come up. They said that the oil could be thinning and causing the problem. I've NEVER heard of that before. The dealer doesn't have a good rep.

I'm looking for some ideas.

trakwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The gauge on the dash is not accurate at all. Mine stays pegged but I have tested with real pressure gauge and it was fine. I would test it with a better gauge, It could be your sender unit (most likely) or an oil pump if the pressure truly is low

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sending unit is almost always the problem every time. I've replaced mine 3 times in 11 years.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Sending unit is almost always the problem every time. I've replaced mine 3 times in 11 years.
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
appfire
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles do you have? If its high mileage, I would think when your oil warms up its thinner and your bearings may be worn thus the drop in pressure. I have been fighting this for a year now. A can of stp oil treatment has helped alot.

Chris
Unread 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
NE4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 did the same thing and I too installed a manual guage and the press. was fine. When I replaced the sender there was no change. Good luck.
NE4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakwrkr View Post
It appears that once I change the oil the problem goes away for a little bit, but it's coming back on.
Does your oil smell like gasoline when you change it?
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
trakwrkr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry guys it took so long... Finally got it to a good mechanic and it is the oil pump, now waiting to see if the bearings need to be replaced.

The engine does have 140k miles on it, and the stp treatment only helped a little bit.

My wife says I bought a POS. I say I bought a project.

This is the main thing on the laundry list to be fixed!!
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oil pump bad on a 4.0 with only 140k miles on it? Guess it's possible but the oil pumps usually are the last part to go since they're so well lubricated. I would have almost guaranteed that it was the sender also. Oh well. Good luck!
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am on the sender boat too!
I have changed mine 3x's also on my 4.0L. Wierd enough never on my 2.5L. If you aren't on top of oil changes the sensor will get clogged with crud.

Can't hurt to change the sensor for less than $50 and see, and much easier than an oil pump.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
trakwrkr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sensor was Checked, unfortunately I just bought this in the last 6 months. So I don't have the maintenance history. Luckily I come to find out the mechanic is a jeep owner!

Thanks
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
trakwrkr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got it back from the mechanic, $750 later, and now the check engine light comes on!!
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got it back from the mechanic, $750 later, and now the check engine light comes on!!
Unless the light didn't work previously, I'd say this isn't an improvement...
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was the $750 for an oil pump? Also the bearings shouldn't be going out at only 140k, unless it was lugged it's entire life.

Did the mechanic do a mechanical gauge on the sensor to make sure it wasn't the sending unit? The sending unit itself is only a $25 part. Wouldn't hurt to change it out and see.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
trakwrkr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea, what's going on! My good deal isn't turning out to be such a good deal.

The light is now off, wondering if it was the gas I out in it. I stopped at a different place to get gas, now after a while of going to my usual place the light has gone off and stayed off.

Love Wranglers, hate mine!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.