Oil pressure Drops when idling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil pressure Drops when idling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
DJeepinOK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oil pressure Drops when idling?

I drive a 2000 TJ and changed the oil around 1k miles ago. I am running 10w-30 oil and I just recently noticed that after running for a while when the engine is nice and hot, the oil pressure drops from its norm to about 20 ish, but only when not pressing the gas. Now I'm not sure if this is normal or not because all the other threads are about it dropping to 0. So is this normal, and if not what should I look at first?

Also, my CEL has come on and off probably 5 times within the past few months. I know that the first time it came on I got it checked and it was the O2 sensor. Is this something that can fix itself and clear the error code?

Thanks!

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing, probably drops a little lower than yours does. Its normal.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mechanical gauge or are you looking at the dummy meter on the Dash? If it's the dash meter then it's
Probably just the sensor going bad since all it does is give a solid reading as soon as it gets pressure. Now on a mechanical gauge, when warm, it should vary from 18-65 psi throughout the rpm range. Normally 40psi is the average but it depends on how your engine has worn over the years if it's higher or lower.
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-joN View Post
Mechanical gauge or are you looking at the dummy meter on the Dash? If it's the dash meter then it's
Probably just the sensor going bad since all it does is give a solid reading as soon as it gets pressure. Now on a mechanical gauge, when warm, it should vary from 18-65 psi throughout the rpm range. Normally 40psi is the average but it depends on how your engine has worn over the years if it's higher or lower.
The dash oil pressure gauge's on my old 97 and now current 2000 both fluctuated with engine rpm, I don't think it's just a dummy gauge.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pressure drop at idle when hot is normal. 20(dash gauge) at idle and jumping up to 40-45 when you come off idle is normal operation.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
TJsjeeptj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing. It drops down to about the quarter mark at idle and goes back to half when the gas is pressed I'm not sure why either
TJsjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisHeim View Post
The dash oil pressure gauge's on my old 97 and now current 2000 both fluctuated with engine rpm, I don't think it's just a dummy gauge.
It's not a dummy gauge. 20 psi at idle is normal.

IIRC 2003 went to the so called dummy gauge. Look here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...gauge-1291693/

And here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/oil-...ot-144739.html
-Your mechanic is an idiot for telling you that. In reality, oil pressure is absolutely supposed to vary up and down in step with engine rpms. 20 psi at idle is very good, and heading up to 40-60 when accelerating is excellent, and the pressure dropping back down as the RPMs drop is 100% normal and to be expected too.

Your oil pressure is generated by a mechanical oil pump which spins faster and slower as the engine revs faster and slower. So naturally the oil pressure will go up and down in sync with the engine RPMs.

That the oil pressure does go up and down was unnecessarily alarming people who were new to "real" oil pressure gauges so the dealers were getting a lot of unnecessary complaints by people who didn't believe the dealer when they told them it was normal. So the dealers made the factory dumb the oil pressure gauge down in later model TJs so it only registers mid-scale so long as there is oil pressure. Dumb, that is not what oil pressure really does. That change happened around 2003 so your 2000 TJ is one of the fortunate models that show the real oil pressure.

So relax, your oil pressure is fine and you now know oil pressure is supposed to vary up and down in sync with the engine RPMs.-
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It's not a dummy gauge. 20 psi at idle is normal.

IIRC 2003 went to the so called dummy gauge. Look here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...gauge-1291693/

And here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/oil-...ot-144739.html
-Your mechanic is an idiot for telling you that. In reality, oil pressure is absolutely supposed to vary up and down in step with engine rpms. 20 psi at idle is very good, and heading up to 40-60 when accelerating is excellent, and the pressure dropping back down as the RPMs drop is 100% normal and to be expected too.

Your oil pressure is generated by a mechanical oil pump which spins faster and slower as the engine revs faster and slower. So naturally the oil pressure will go up and down in sync with the engine RPMs.

That the oil pressure does go up and down was unnecessarily alarming people who were new to "real" oil pressure gauges so the dealers were getting a lot of unnecessary complaints by people who didn't believe the dealer when they told them it was normal. So the dealers made the factory dumb the oil pressure gauge down in later model TJs so it only registers mid-scale so long as there is oil pressure. Dumb, that is not what oil pressure really does. That change happened around 2003 so your 2000 TJ is one of the fortunate models that show the real oil pressure.

So relax, your oil pressure is fine and you now know oil pressure is supposed to vary up and down in sync with the engine RPMs.-
Yes, sir, you are correct.

It is 03+ that went with the dummy gauge. I remember my 01 TJ reading actual pressure so does my dads 94 ZJ and my 04 Freightliner Century...

03+ oil pressure gauge knows only Yes/No oil pressure and will remain in the same spot from when you first start it until you shut it off. I never know what the actual pressure is, it always sits in the sam spot.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal and it sounds like you have a healthy engine.

Knucklehead, if you get a thumbs down from me, i apologize. My phone acts dumb sometimes and selects random thongs if i flip the screen and make a selection. I try to cancel and then face you thumbs up.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Yes, sir, you are correct.

It is 03+ that went with the dummy gauge. I remember my 01 TJ reading actual pressure so does my dads 94 ZJ and my 04 Freightliner Century...

03+ oil pressure gauge knows only Yes/No oil pressure and will remain in the same spot from when you first start it until you shut it off. I never know what the actual pressure is, it always sits in the sam spot.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal and it sounds like you have a healthy engine.
I don't think it's a Yes/No function from the sending unit. IIRC when the oil pressure drops below 6 psi(?) you get a MIL light and the oil gauge drops to 0.
Quote:

Knucklehead, if you get a thumbs down from me, i apologize. My phone acts dumb sometimes and selects random thongs if i flip the screen and make a selection. I try to cancel and then face you thumbs up.
All thumbs down get reviewed and your post will explain it...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I were him, I'd be more worried about the random thongs you're picking out for him and not so much the thumbs down....

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
DJeepinOK
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks for the help!
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRubicon View Post
If I were him, I'd be more worried about the random thongs you're picking out for him and not so much the thumbs down....

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While I accept that the gauge in my 06 is not an accurate reflection of pressure, the computer does at least move the needle around a bit on mine. Higher when cold and/or higher RPMs. Probably not the extent of the actual pressure fluctuations, but it doesn't sit in the same spot.
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I need to start reading my posts before submitting....

But you guys get the point and no, not what i wrote but what i meant to write LOL.

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Knucklehead, i think i read somewhere about oil psi threshold just can't remember where and what it was.

When i said Yes/No oil pressure, i was referring to the needle only showing L or just past the half mark no matter the engine temp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.