oil pan gasket replacement ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oil pan gasket replacement ????

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
rem

oil pan gasket replacement ????

ok...while replacing the oil pan....and gasket....do you need to silicone anywhere on the gasket or do any other prep to it?? it is on a 2005 unlimited rubicon 4.0L thanks for the help...

rem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Blk2kTj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I did mine i had to use rtv to fill in the gaps on the rear left and right of the mating surface. (by the flywheel).

Also, I had a hell of a time getting the rear lip of the gasket to seat properly on the oil pan, the first 2 times the rear lip was not seated right and i tightened it down and distorted the gasket, so on my third gasket, I stuck dabs of Rtv randomly around the gasket, tightened the gasket on with the bolts (no oil pan) then after it dried removed the bolts, put the pan on carefully, then retightened. Watch that rear lip.

And if you dont dab rtv in those two rear gaps in the mating surface it will be quite apparent after you have everything together and start it up.

2000 Tj 4.0

Id assume yours should be similar with the rubber gasket.

regards.
Blk2kTj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Fyrflie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you buy a good gasket, you really shouldn't need any RTV at all.

When I did mine three weeks ago, I used the Permatex gasket sealer, only to hold the gasket in place until I got the pan mated to the engine. Then tightened it down and all was good.

The gasket I used was the rubber type with what appeared to be some type of stiffeners built into the long sides of the gasket to keep it straight.

4.0, 5 Speed, D30, D44 w/Detroit Truetrac, 4.56 gears

Rancho Lift, Body Lift, Motor Mount Lift, SYE & 33" tires
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Blk2kTj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think i had a fel pro gasket when i did mine. Same thing, both the left and right sides were stiffened, but the front and rear parts are verry rubbrerish.

I had to use RTV in the rear corners, and I think the instruction to do so came with the gasket.

Just check to make sure the gasket dosent specifically call for rtv and you should be fine. if it wants you to seal soemthing with it there would probably be a note with the gasket saying "IMPORTANT: Use rtv at so and so."

Either way its a pretty basic job. but it looks like it might be best to stick the gasket to either the pan or the engine beforehand to keep it aligned.
Blk2kTj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #5
davenjeip

IIRC, there are four spots where the factory used a dab of silicone.

I tried to replicate that when I installed mine.

www.davenjeip.com
davenjeip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.