Oil Pan Damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Pan Damage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-17-2003, 10:29 AM   #1
Birdlaw

Oil Pan Damage

Right after I got my TJ, I decided to go crashing around in the woods. Long story... but I high centered on a stump that was camoflaged by some brush at the top of a sharp incline. After breaking the factory jack trying to free my stock TJ, I was able to back off of the stump and down the incline. I bought a Hi Lift and thought my troubles were over. Two months later, I crawl under to check out the T-case linkage to replace the bushings (fix for rattling per D/C TSB). I then noticed that my oil pan was smashed. Imagine taking a BFH and slamming the drain plug back into the oil pan and up at an angle towards the radiator as hard as you can. I think I can pull the drain plug (I am planning to change oil this week), but I am concerned about it sealing back right once removed. Not leaking now.
Question 1
Fix or leave as is? I'm leaning toward "as is" if plug goes back in and doesnt leak.
Question 2
Skid plate recomendations? 33"s are in my future.

Black Jeep Club Member #46
CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 16
Dumb A Jeep Club Member # 6
Birdlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
EDM0656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlaw
Right after I got my TJ, I decided to go crashing around in the woods. Long story... but I high centered on a stump that was camoflaged by some brush at the top of a sharp incline. After breaking the factory jack trying to free my stock TJ, I was able to back off of the stump and down the incline. I bought a Hi Lift and thought my troubles were over. Two months later, I crawl under to check out the T-case linkage to replace the bushings (fix for rattling per D/C TSB). I then noticed that my oil pan was smashed. Imagine taking a BFH and slamming the drain plug back into the oil pan and up at an angle towards the radiator as hard as you can. I think I can pull the drain plug (I am planning to change oil this week), but I am concerned about it sealing back right once removed. Not leaking now.
Question 1
Fix or leave as is? I'm leaning toward "as is" if plug goes back in and doesnt leak.
Question 2
Change the pan ASAP.
Crager Black Steel Wheels 3.75" backspace
Bestop Bikini
Mirror Movers and some lights
Cobra 29 CB
and a few more payments
EDM0656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
DirtyRedTJ

I would change it. A bashed oil pan can effect many things. Like, volume of oil it can hold, oil pump system-pick up and screen, and there's little chance that the plug is going to work correctly. Is it bent in a way that it would prevent the oil from draining properly?

1998 SE, 4 Gerbils , 5 speed,
D30 Front, Diff Guards, QD's,
3" Black Diamond springs, Rough Country LCAs,
Pro Comp es3000's, 2" bl, 8,000lb winch,
TB spacer, K&N, Electric Fan, hand throttle,
CB, Seat covers, chopped bumper,
33 x 12.50 Truxus MTs, AR wheels,
Rocker guards, Lights, High Lift ...

[COLOR=darkred]Certain Death Jeep Club Member #2[ /COLOR]

2002 WJ 31x11x16 Thornbirds, Westin Safari Bar
DirtyRedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Birdlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRedTJ
I would change it. A bashed oil pan can effect many things. Like, volume of oil it can hold, oil pump system-pick up and screen, and there's little chance that the plug is going to work correctly. Is it bent in a way that it would prevent the oil from draining properly?
I'm not sure. The pan is creased below(under) the plug, but looks like it will still drain. My worry is not about oil volume, as that the dent only goes in about half an inch, but rather weakness in the pan. I just see me wringing the threaded portion of the pan off trying to remove the drain plug. This is almost usless w/o pics, but I don't have a digital camera.
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
DirtyRedTJ

Just be careful, if you break the pan and don't have another then your SOL. It sounds kinda risky.

1998 SE, 4 Gerbils , 5 speed,
D30 Front, Diff Guards, QD's,
3" Black Diamond springs, Rough Country LCAs,
Pro Comp es3000's, 2" bl, 8,000lb winch,
TB spacer, K&N, Electric Fan, hand throttle,
CB, Seat covers, chopped bumper,
33 x 12.50 Truxus MTs, AR wheels,
Rocker guards, Lights, High Lift ...

[COLOR=darkred]Certain Death Jeep Club Member #2[ /COLOR]

2002 WJ 31x11x16 Thornbirds, Westin Safari Bar
DirtyRedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
cdnjeepin

I hit my pan at Paragon in early Oct.. and had no choice but to drive the 1000 miles home...My oil pressure never changed and my oil was clean..I have to do an oil change this weekend but do not expect any problems..once I get the money to be able to buy a new pan I will..but they are pretty $$ here in canada..

From reading my TSM it seems like it is quite the job to change the oil pan on one of these too..

here is the dent in mine:

Unread 11-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
Birdlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnjeepin
I hit my pan at Paragon in early Oct.. and had no choice but to drive the 1000 miles home...My oil pressure never changed and my oil was clean..I have to do an oil change this weekend but do not expect any problems..once I get the money to be able to buy a new pan I will..but they are pretty $$ here in canada..

From reading my TSM it seems like it is quite the job to change the oil pan on one of these too..

here is the dent in mine:

The dent in mine looks similar, but is closer to drain plug.
What about a skid plat for the future?
Unread 11-17-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
cdnjeepin

Oh yeah, I had planned on having an engine skid on there..but ran out of time and extra $$ before my trip to Paragon...I got all winter now to get one on..
Unread 11-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #9
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

You have already incorporated a hidden oil plug, why buy another to have it exposed again. That's not bad at all. Honestly, I'd just leave it on, because a replacement will cost alot more than what it's worth right now. Unless you plan on encountering more stumps, or just have bad luck, it's fine. there is still sufficent clearance for the sump. Mine was a bit ruffled too, and I just welded some plate directly to it.
Unread 11-17-2003, 02:29 PM   #10
macb

mine looks like that too (worse actually)...no leaks and I have been able to change the oil...next month I plan to put on a new pan and replace the seals while I am at it...
do you have to pull the exhaust to get the pan out (that would suck)
where is a good place to get a pan...online new ones look like about $125. our local pick-n-pull lot never has jeep 4.0L engines.

I plan on using a thick layer of silicone or something with a 3/8 thick plate on the new one. (unless welding is an option)

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]

Last edited by macb; 11-17-2003 at 02:32 PM..
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2003, 12:41 AM   #11
franco802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdlaw
Question 1
Question 2
what TSB are you talking about? i have a mystery rattling on my 04' TJ, i have the 4.0L 5 speed..mabe its the same thing?
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2003, 04:37 AM   #12
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by macb
mine looks like that too (worse actually)...no leaks and I have been able to change the oil...next month I plan to put on a new pan and replace the seals while I am at it...
do you have to pull the exhaust to get the pan out (that would suck)
where is a good place to get a pan...online new ones look like about $125. our local pick-n-pull lot never has jeep 4.0L engines.

I plan on using a thick layer of silicone or something with a 3/8 thick plate on the new one. (unless welding is an option)
Yes, exhaust gets "decoupled" at both ends so you can have some movement to slide the pan out. Also, not sure with 4.0's.. the starter gets pulled (which requires E-torx) and transmission dust plate.

Also, PRIOR to working on it, order yourself a new gasket or try reusing the factory gasket if you can (Mine was still good after 2 years) It's a thick rubber seal, very handy and almost required. RTV is miserable to work with here without it.

With you being the home depot warrior, I see an interesting mix of JBweld and aluminum can mache'.
Unread 11-18-2003, 06:57 AM   #13
macb

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9JEEP
With you being the home depot warrior, I see an interesting mix of JBweld and aluminum can mache'.
yuck...starting to sound like work...

lol, home depot warrior - takes one to know one
you must have seen my air intake and console

hmmm...jb weld and aluminum...light weight-flexible...an ammo can, it has a gasket...

[url=http://www.cafepress.com/H2RT]No Bling - H2 Recovery Gear[/url]

Bob Supplee:supplee@ionet.net or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site: [url=http://www.stu-offroad.com]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]

Last edited by macb; 11-18-2003 at 08:53 AM..
macb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2003, 07:08 AM   #14
Birdlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco802
what TSB are you talking about? i have a mystery rattling on my 04' TJ, i have the 4.0L 5 speed..mabe its the same thing?
Franco,
It may be the same problem, but with your TJ being so new maybe not. The TSB was from the 1997-1998 time frame and relates to a thumping/creaking noise from under the drivers seat or drivers side of the transmission hump. Apparently there is a bushing or rod end that wears out and causes the T case linkage to vibrate. I did a search a while back and found my way to this site:
http://www.4x4xplor.com/T-Case%20TSB.html

Crawl up under jeep and try to move the t case linkage around to try to reproduce your sound. It worked for me.
Unread 11-18-2003, 08:14 AM   #15
maddogcolorado

Just my opinon with the drain pan. If the drain plug is secured to a nut or some other threaded fitting welded to the inside of the drain pan, I would be a little less concerend in a dent that small. If the drain plug is just threaded into the stamped steele of the pan and more likely to be stripped out or the threads more likely to be damaged from a ding right on the plug I would replace it.
maddogcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.