Oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil change

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
t-rav8188

Oil change

97 jeep wrangler inline 6 4.0 liter. What kind of oil should i use and how much. Etc. 10w-40?

t-rav8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use 5w-40 in the Shell Rotella T6 flavor. You may not need a 5- if you are in a warm climate. Fill it until it shows full on the dipstick.

Fill out your profile so we know more about your Jeep and location.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any quality 10w-30 or 5w-30 if in a cold climate most of the time.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You want the kind that is slippery. (It doesn't matter much, in other words)
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...ations-452871/

someone get me a snickers. that was a LOT of work.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I hate it when I'm new to some forum and long time members throw insults. What's the point in that? Is it like in a pack of dogs, where the alpha males pee on the new member before they can be accepted?
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just run 10w-30 of any brand and change every 3k. You can't go wrong. 5w-30 if you live where is super cold like North Dakota or something. Running thicker than needed is pointless and offers no benefit and can actually cause more wear on you crtical parts like bearings,lifters and such.
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I hate it when I'm new to some forum and long time members throw insults. What's the point in that? Is it like in a pack of dogs, where the alpha males pee on the new member before they can be accepted?
Im assuming you're insinuating I insulted the OP because his obvious lack of insight to use Google, the Search Function, or even more simply the thread in the stickies that I linked...

You might hate when someone new gets pissed on by an E-Alpha Forum member, and I equally hate when people like you defend the morons that refuse to TRY.
There is a purpose for Stickey's. It's for the little nublets that buy their first Jeep and wanna know how much oil to put in a Dana 44. It's to prevent 75,000 of the 200k+ posts in the Technical Section.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
asim04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Just look at most of his posts, all he does is troll.

OP: Run either 5w30 or 10w30, depending on the climate. Regular Dino or synthetic oil, it doesn't matter as long as its motor oil. 6 quarts is what I always put in the Jeep.
asim04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Right. Posting the Sticky that answered his question was trolling. asim04LJ, read your own sig. How is it any different? If the OP had taken 20 seconds to look for an answer, he would have found it, and maybe learned a thing or two along the way. I assume you want everything handed to you on a silver platter too right?

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
asim04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Right. Posting the Sticky that answered his question was trolling. asim04LJ, read your own sig. How is it any different? If the OP had taken 20 seconds to look for an answer, he would have found it, and maybe learned a thing or two along the way. I assume you want everything handed to you on a silver platter too right?
Not me as the search button is a wonderful tool. Its a lost cause with noobs as it happens everyday on JF. Eventually they learn but it starts again when someone new signs up. I don't mind spoon feeding as long its a different topic. Heck, at least this is better than any lift kit thread to reply.
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asim04LJ View Post
Not me as the search button is a wonderful tool. Its a lost cause with noobs as it happens everyday on JF. Eventually they learn but it starts again when someone new signs up. I don't mind spoon feeding as long its a different topic. Heck, at least this is better than any lift kit thread to reply.
Haha funny you say that. I just read your response to the 4" RC lift question a few threads down.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why ain't you a peach

Quote:
Im assuming you're insinuating I insulted the OP because his obvious lack of insight to use Google, the Search Function, or even more simply the thread in the stickies that I linked...

You might hate when someone new gets pissed on by an E-Alpha Forum member, and I equally hate when people like you defend the morons that refuse to TRY.
There is a purpose for Stickey's. It's for the little nublets that buy their first Jeep and wanna know how much oil to put in a Dana 44. It's to prevent 75,000 of the 200k+ posts in the Technical Section.

Unread 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Μολὼν λαβέ
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
asim04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha funny you say that. I just read your response to the 4" RC lift question a few threads down.
I'm not in a trolling mood today. Maybe the next one that gets posted tomorrow. Deal?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.