Oil change - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
t-rav8188
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: White lake
Posts: 40
Oil change

97 jeep wrangler inline 6 4.0 liter. What kind of oil should i use and how much. Etc. 10w-40?

t-rav8188 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Port
Posts: 6,565
I use 5w-40 in the Shell Rotella T6 flavor. You may not need a 5- if you are in a warm climate. Fill it until it shows full on the dipstick.

Fill out your profile so we know more about your Jeep and location.
Jason is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
JBTJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,591
Any quality 10w-30 or 5w-30 if in a cold climate most of the time.
JBTJ is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM
JeffBowser
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,619
You want the kind that is slippery. (It doesn't matter much, in other words)
JeffBowser is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...ations-452871/

someone get me a snickers. that was a LOT of work.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
JeffBowser
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,619
I hate it when I'm new to some forum and long time members throw insults. What's the point in that? Is it like in a pack of dogs, where the alpha males pee on the new member before they can be accepted?
JeffBowser is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
blackjeep05
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mckinney
Posts: 1,456
Just run 10w-30 of any brand and change every 3k. You can't go wrong. 5w-30 if you live where is super cold like North Dakota or something. Running thicker than needed is pointless and offers no benefit and can actually cause more wear on you crtical parts like bearings,lifters and such.

Soccer six in the mix.
blackjeep05 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I hate it when I'm new to some forum and long time members throw insults. What's the point in that? Is it like in a pack of dogs, where the alpha males pee on the new member before they can be accepted?
Im assuming you're insinuating I insulted the OP because his obvious lack of insight to use Google, the Search Function, or even more simply the thread in the stickies that I linked...

You might hate when someone new gets pissed on by an E-Alpha Forum member, and I equally hate when people like you defend the morons that refuse to TRY.
There is a purpose for Stickey's. It's for the little nublets that buy their first Jeep and wanna know how much oil to put in a Dana 44. It's to prevent 75,000 of the 200k+ posts in the Technical Section.


"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
asim04LJ
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri City
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
I hate it when I'm new to some forum and long time members throw insults. What's the point in that? Is it like in a pack of dogs, where the alpha males pee on the new member before they can be accepted?
Just look at most of his posts, all he does is troll.

OP: Run either 5w30 or 10w30, depending on the climate. Regular Dino or synthetic oil, it doesn't matter as long as its motor oil. 6 quarts is what I always put in the Jeep.
asim04LJ is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687
Right. Posting the Sticky that answered his question was trolling. asim04LJ, read your own sig. How is it any different? If the OP had taken 20 seconds to look for an answer, he would have found it, and maybe learned a thing or two along the way. I assume you want everything handed to you on a silver platter too right?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
asim04LJ
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri City
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Right. Posting the Sticky that answered his question was trolling. asim04LJ, read your own sig. How is it any different? If the OP had taken 20 seconds to look for an answer, he would have found it, and maybe learned a thing or two along the way. I assume you want everything handed to you on a silver platter too right?
Not me as the search button is a wonderful tool. Its a lost cause with noobs as it happens everyday on JF. Eventually they learn but it starts again when someone new signs up. I don't mind spoon feeding as long its a different topic. Heck, at least this is better than any lift kit thread to reply.
asim04LJ is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by asim04LJ View Post
Not me as the search button is a wonderful tool. Its a lost cause with noobs as it happens everyday on JF. Eventually they learn but it starts again when someone new signs up. I don't mind spoon feeding as long its a different topic. Heck, at least this is better than any lift kit thread to reply.
Haha funny you say that. I just read your response to the 4" RC lift question a few threads down.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
JeffBowser
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,619
Why ain't you a peach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Im assuming you're insinuating I insulted the OP because his obvious lack of insight to use Google, the Search Function, or even more simply the thread in the stickies that I linked...

You might hate when someone new gets pissed on by an E-Alpha Forum member, and I equally hate when people like you defend the morons that refuse to TRY.
There is a purpose for Stickey's. It's for the little nublets that buy their first Jeep and wanna know how much oil to put in a Dana 44. It's to prevent 75,000 of the 200k+ posts in the Technical Section.

JeffBowser is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
asim04LJ
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Missouri City
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
Haha funny you say that. I just read your response to the 4" RC lift question a few threads down.
I'm not in a trolling mood today. Maybe the next one that gets posted tomorrow. Deal?
asim04LJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome