Oil Accumulators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oil Accumulators

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Accumulators

Was part of a discussion a few weeks ago with some guys who are pretty active racers about oil accumulators. Since then I've been thinking about both the pre-oiling they provide and the protection against low pressure as it relates to jeeps. There are a few threads about them but not a lot. I'm sure a lot of our jeeps clatter initially on start up and offroad situations where oil pressure drops due to sharp angles definitely happen (I know they have for me). Although given the longevity of these engines perhaps the startup clatter is an "issue" that isn't an issue and maybe the high angle offroad situations aren't common enough to make this something people think about. It looks like $400-500 when you price out all the components from somewhere like Canton which is a decent chunk of change to fix something that maybe isn't really a problem. Anyone here have one installed or given it thought?

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
IslandHopper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're worried about extreme angles and uncovering the oil-pan pickup, I think you'd be better off considering an full-on dry sump system rather than an accumulator.

An accumulator (as in the racing scene) will cover your oil pressure for a few seconds until the pickup is submerged again... generally in a high-g turn. If you're climbing at an odd angle that uncovers the pickup, then it could easily last longer than the few (or several) seconds of protection that an accumulator will provide... whereas a dry-sump oiler will keep things lubed forever.

Of course, I have no idea how much it would cost to convert one of these engines to dry-sump. Maybe too much to make it worthwhile.
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

We used them in circle track, but like the previous poster said, it is a short-term burst of oil pressure, not a long-term solution. We ran dry sump in open class, but when rules shut us down on dry sump we always ran an accumulator. I have seen people use them with a ball valve for pre-start oiling, but I doubt there is any long term benefit.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ive run accumulators extensively on the dirt track, street, and off-road with either electric or manual ball valves actuating. Oil control is a key issue for me. I agree that dry sump would be the way to go, but the reality of class rules, real estate for plumbing and tank mounting, and the trouble of mounting a three or four stage pump on most of our vehicles is prohibitive to most of us and extremely expensive. My current build includes a 3 qt. accumulator, 8 qt. baffled oil pan, anti-climbing plate, and double crank scrapers. I have installed accumulators for as low as about 250 bucks and also for over a grand. the work well for prelube, post lube, and up to 15 or 20 seconds of cavitation/oil starvation at the pump. Canton makes great products and are awesome to work with. It is my opinion that when properly used an accumulator is beneficial during any type of agressive driving or while navigating any sub-standard surface.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Ive run accumulators extensively on the dirt track, street, and off-road with either electric or manual ball valves actuating. Oil control is a key issue for me. I agree that dry sump would be the way to go, but the reality of class rules, real estate for plumbing and tank mounting, and the trouble of mounting a three or four stage pump on most of our vehicles is prohibitive to most of us and extremely expensive. My current build includes a 3 qt. accumulator, 8 qt. baffled oil pan, anti-climbing plate, and double crank scrapers. I have installed accumulators for as low as about 250 bucks and also for over a grand. the work well for prelube, post lube, and up to 15 or 20 seconds of cavitation/oil starvation at the pump. Canton makes great products and are awesome to work with. It is my opinion that when properly used an accumulator is beneficial during any type of agressive driving or while navigating any sub-standard surface.
Thanks for the feedback. 15-20 seconds is the type of coverage I was expecting to hear about. This is not something near the top of my to do list but still something that intrigues me in our applications.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think it comes down to how much you have invested in your engine, the conditions under which you run, and the chances/ramifications of catastrophic failure during your remote driving. FWIW, I dont have one on my DD, but I will when I drop in the stroker.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.