off size spare? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > off size spare?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
monkeychrist
1998 TJ Wrangler 

off size spare?

Hello,
I got a deal on 4 31x10.5-15's for the jeep. The fifth tire, the spare, is a stock 30. Is it still usable as a spare, just for emergency purposes, or will it cause too much tilt?

monkeychrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you've got limited slip axles it's not recommended to have two different size tires.
marc1kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you only have a LSD in one axle you can always swap the 30 to the open axle. Other than that you will be fine.

Edit: The problem is not the tilt, which you probably won't even notice. It is that one shaft will be turning more than the other. With a LSD or a locker they will be locked together and it will cause big problems.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
SGT Superman
2000 WJ 

I hate to see people driving around with a stock spare. Like the others said, if you dont have lockers or a limited slip you will be fine for an emergency, but please get a full size on there soon.
Green Jeep Club Member #174
GO COUGS!
SGT Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wonder what the rolling diameter change is on a fully aired up 30, compared to an aired down 31
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
I wonder what the rolling diameter change is on a fully aired up 30, compared to an aired down 31
Tire diameters don't change like balloon diameters do when air pressures are varied. The circumference changes such a small amount after being aired down to be totally inconsequential.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
monkeychrist
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cool, thanks guys. The 31's are just to last long enough until i can do the lift and 33's all at once. The stock 30's were bald when I got the jeep and like I said, got a good deal on the 31's, but it was only for four of them.
monkeychrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
98greentj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it's only a half inch, it won't matter
98greentj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.