OFF CENTER AXLES AND SAG/ Adjustable Tracbar Solutions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OFF CENTER AXLES AND SAG/ Adjustable Tracbar Solutions

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

OFF CENTER AXLES AND SAG/ Adjustable Tracbar Solutions

Hello everyone. I wanted some opinions.

I installed new wheels and tires and noticed that my Axles are a bit off centered. I ordered new adjustable tracbars and will be installing them as they arrive.. However. I noticed that I have a tad sag in the front passenger side.. I only have a 2" lift but noticed the off center is 1 1/2 inches in the rear to passenger side. and Approx 3/4 in the front to passenger side.

Could the twist in the Geometry be causing the sag in my right front corner of approx. Half and Inch..? Or is this a spring related issue altogether? I know that I will find out rather quickly after I center the axles to my liking.. but wondered if this is a common problem.. I am actually quite surprised I hadn't noticed before.. But with bigger tires and 4" off bs.. I noticed right away..

Thanks

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
tsa1980
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Exact problem I had. I got a front adjustable track bar and a rear track bar relocation bracket. PITA to install the rear bracket but it was worth it. Axels centered perfect now. Posters told me not to do it as it doesn't affect ride quality. But still...Why would I want my axels not centered? It's not my toy, it's my DD. I'm glad I did it. It got rid on a weird "clunking" in the rear and got rid of some bump steering. For $150, 3 issues were resolved. These guys are smart and know a lot but in the end it's your jeep
tsa1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with you , wholeheartedly. But in the event I want to take it up any farther. (which I don't see the point) << Preference.. I will have the bars already to do so. However when It does come down to wear and other factors.. sag and spring angle.. and simple aesthetics.. I am fixing it.. Cause to me it's not right.. Of course it only affects minimally.. But why.. Most people wouldn't want it that way, but I bet not too many folks that own and build up a jeep would just let it go. I just went ahead and ordered adjustable bars.. front and rear because my lift isn't so much that I felt putting in the bracket was really necessary in addition to being more of a headache less adjustable. I figured do it once and if I do go up.. then get a bracket as well. My bump steer is Minimal ... But still there.. but the bs and wider tires.. I really notice more control. Plus I have steel wheels and they ride out great.. I like the feeling of the added unsprung weight , personally. It's great feeling now with bigger and wider .. My gearing feels better strangely enough.. 3.73 feels much better with 33's ..
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What track bar did you order?
Some have issues with diff cover clearance when the front axle is at full uptravel.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rear tracbar>>> http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...729&adtype=pla

Front >>> http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...k-tj-7572.html

I have 2" of lift.. I would be surprised if I had that much uptravel.. lol I would bottom out in my wells or bumpstop more than likely before that became an issue.. I am not positive and disconnected it's possible.. thanks for the heads up. The Folks at Extreme Terrain didn't think it would even be an issue considering my setup.
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSIDNEY View Post
Rear tracbar>>> http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...729&adtype=pla

Front >>> http://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-...k-tj-7572.html

I have 2" of lift.. I would be surprised if I had that much uptravel.. lol I would bottom out in my wells or bumpstop more than likely before that became an issue.. I am not positive and disconnected it's possible.. thanks for the heads up. The Folks at Extreme Terrain didn't think it would even be an issue considering my setup.
horrible choices and horrible advice.

Cancel that order....you're going to have major problems.

Get reading
Snapped My Track Bar.....In 2!
school me on the front adj. trackbar
The Big Thread of Track Bar Clearance issues

The short version is for only 2" of lift, leave your stock track bars alone. You can use a welder to make your eyes feel more happy. If you just want to spend money but totally ignore clearance issues due to ignorance, get a Metalcloak front and rear track bar. If you want to really dig into suspension clearance issues to use something without heim joints, then Currie and JKS #126 are your options.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I would call Extreme Terrain back if you can and order something else, and inform them that they've steered you wrong.

If not, when you install it, just make sure you cycle the suspension. If time allows, I highly recommend removing the springs & shocks, with the body on jack stands, then jacking the front axle all the way up to see what makes contact, find out for sure if it's your tires, your bumpstops, or your track bar meeting your diff cover. If it's the latter, it won't be long before that new bar is toast and you have death wobble, and can't figure out the cause because "just bought a new track bar". You may want to increase the length of your bump stops such that they are the first to hit.

I know this thread is long, but take a look through it and you'll see what I mean:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
horrible choices and horrible advice.

Cancel that order....you're going to have major problems.

Get reading
Snapped My Track Bar.....In 2!
school me on the front adj. trackbar
The Big Thread of Track Bar Clearance issues

The short version is for only 2" of lift, leave your stock track bars alone. You can use a welder to make your eyes feel more happy. If you just want to spend money but totally ignore clearance issues due to ignorance, get a Metalcloak front and rear track bar. If you want to really dig into suspension clearance issues to use something without heim joints, then Currie and JKS #126 are your options.

So .. I took a pic of the stock tracbar and I see the rough country doesn't have a good bend in it as the stock bar does.. when you suggest that I leave my stock bars alone .. are you suggesting that I just leave my axles off center? it is mostly aesthetic that i want to change them.. However, I am kinda lost.. I have read a good majority of the threads . Included is a pic of stock and see a very big difference between the one I orderd.. which seems that it would rub.. compared to my stock ..
traceaea.jpg

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

All of my welding equipment is in storage in another state unfortunately ..
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

increased my bumpstops already 1 inch to make sure they hit first.. I just replaced my tracbar a month ago and pitman ball joint because of DW...
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am not sure what kinda of wheeling you guys are thinking I am up too. I put stock through hell and they take a beating for a considerable amount of time before they crap the bed.. I haven't experienced any hit on differ covers.. I can't flex out as much as you fellas think .. I am serious. I appreciate the info.. and if I were doing some semi-hard wheelin then I really would just go all the way.. I am kinda confused by the info I am receiving on this thread.. I just don't see that it's going to be the problem you fellas are identifying. feel free to call me if you would like to explain better.. but I just don't see it.. 904-701-8452.. I would appreciate if you could better explain to me what I can't foresee.. thanks..
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
tsa1980
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got the rough country front adjustable one with the bracket for better clearance. It is beefy and a total upgrade from stock. Room to play if you decide to go higher. Easy to install too. But I guess it's crap since it's only 1/2 the price of others Everyone has their own opinion on these things. I own one, so there's mine. I think it's fine, especially for 2" and no crazy off-roading.
tsa1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #13
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah.. I just don't see how I would rub.. even without the bracket.. I don't have a 44 in the front with some huge aftermarket diff cover.. I also just don't see how I could get the amount of travel out of my suspension to incur the hit. I would imagine that the rough country is a tad beefier than stock as well. We shall see.
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSIDNEY View Post
I am not sure what kinda of wheeling you guys are thinking I am up too.
i'm just trying to help you get your jeep working for the street. we haven't even starting talking about wheeling yet.

you keep hitting stuff when you hit bumps and something eventually has to give...the weak tie-rod end used in the cheapo track bar.

then you get to experience the loss of steering. maybe on a speed bump, maybe after a pothole, maybe even on the highway at 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa1980 View Post
I got the rough country front adjustable one with the bracket for better clearance.
oh, you mean the bracket that sits directly over the tie-rod and uses the tie-rod as a bumpstop:

^that's sitting on flat ground too...not flexed or anything. those brackets doesn't even work with 6" of lift, let alone 2".

Example

only way to show your stuff works is push the axle full bump. support the frame, remove the springs and jounce bumper, use the floor jack and push up until something hits.

this is full bump, and yes your suspension will travel this far up.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
TJSIDNEY
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I see

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.