October TJ of THE MONTH!! RickyR IS THE WINNER!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > October TJ of THE MONTH!! RickyR IS THE WINNER!!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
EugeneTheTJ
You want some respect?

2003 TJ Wrangler 

October TJ of THE MONTH!! RickyR IS THE WINNER!!

We had our own "amazing race" this month. Sorry but newcastle made me crack that awful joke.

Congrats to RickyR, the October TJ of the Month! Well deserved win, and I can't wait to wheel with your rig in person. Thanks to all who voted!

BTW, can a mod sticky this and unsticky the Sep. TJoTM. Sorry Tony

RickyR

User name: RickyR
Name: Ricky (really !!!)
Jeep name: RUBINCON ( Yes, my last name is Rubin.. Get it ???)

The 2004 LJ took just about 9 months from start to finish. The basis came from my 1979 CJ-7 that had a factory 304/T-18 combination. A pretty rare jeep as it was, but the 304 wasn’t enough for me, so I built a pretty strong 401. The jeep lasted about 8 years with the last 2-3 years being very hard, which consisted of several flops, frame cracks and a very rough body.
I have wanted an LJ since I first saw one, but knew that the factory stuff wasn’t for me. So when this LJ became available, I bought it.
I asked a buddy to help with the build, and after a few lengthy conversations we got a game plan.
The main goal of the jeep was to keep it close to stock appearance, still be drivable on the street, allow for the factory tops to fit, and keep the interior close to stock.
I sold the axles, took the engine and trans out, cut off all of the brackets, and started with a clean slate.
Made mounts and installed the 401, 727, and 4:1 dana 300 and was put in as one deal.
Then the suspension was next, we got 2” DOM, tube adapters, and 7/8 rod ends, did a 4 link in the rear and 3 link with panhard bar in front. The front lowers would hit the frame at full compression, so we found some 2” ID pipe and frenched them into the frame.
So now, at full compression the lower fronts go up into the frame.
The ORI 14” travel shocks were installed with a set of Poly Performance rear brackets that are welded into the cut out rear section of the frame, and the front mounts were custom bent out of 1 ¾” DOM.
Then we mounted a removable tie bar across the top of the engine, this offers strength and protection.
More protection is provided by TNT, with their armor plate, built in flares, rock sliders, and hyline fenders. The hood was done by another buddy and he also put in a set of vents for additional cooling.
Since the engine was having some temperature problems (even with the 3 pass aluminum radiator), the regular fan and shroud needed some help, so I put a 14” spal pusher in front for the idle times. The 8274 blocks some of the air, so any help was good. The winch is mounted on a Currie V bumper. The bumper also has some holes drilled into the bottom for one of the transmission coolers. The other cooler has a thermostatically controlled fan and is mounted on the bottom of the tub near the fuel tank.
Fuel tank is factory plastic, walbro fuel pump and Savvy aluminum skid. The fuel tank is moved back about 4” or so, I took out that second rear cross member to make the easy move.

The axles were out of my CJ also; front is a narrowed Chevy D60 with a Detroit; the rear is a narrowed Dodge D60 with a spool. Both axles are 4.10’s and 35 spline. Yes, 4.10’s…..
Wheels are 15” avalanche engineering beadlocks that mount 39.5 boggers in the rear and IROKS in front.
Steering is hydraulic assist using my old CJ steering box. Since the box is mounted tight against the front cross member, I notched a hole in the tube for the front oil line to pass through and come out another hole.

The interior is all factory jeep, except for the gauges; everything works just like the factory says so, except the A/C. No room for a compressor or condenser. The york compressor on the engine is a little more important for OBA, than A/C for now at least.

The Autometer mechanical gauges were installed on a flat piece of steel and placed in the factory location. The only gauge missing is a Speedometer, instead I took an older GPS, and mounted it where the passenger airbag used to be. This way we have a second GPS (I have an RB1 with XM too), and the passenger/wife can be a copilot with the navigation.
Yes, overkill….If you know me you will know that is just how I am, and why not?

I took out the factory shifter and console, used my old Art Carr shifter which was custom mounted and angled into a Tuffy sub woofer TJ console. The only bad thing is that having a sub center console is there is no room for storage.
A few more things:
I swapped out a set of factory leather seats out of another LJ; I really like them so far.

A second battery is mounted under the rear passenger side wheel well. Access is thru a marine door panel behind the back seat.

A 3 quart Moroso oil accumulator is mounted on the roll bar behind the driver seat. This provides for an oil pressurized start up and is nice to have when that little bit of oil is needed on high RPM runs at an obstacle. (probably won’t happen until I get over the newness for a while) I have sucked the oil out of the 8 quart oil pan once during a high speed hill climb.

The flat skid plate is ¼” steel with ¼” angle iron for bracing. The plate runs from the engine oil pan back to the T-case.

2 piece front drive shaft since the D300 is clocked up so high. The 727 is very wide and it makes for an engineering nightmare. Also had to beat up the passenger side floor to make room, even have a 1” body lift.

Northwest Fab cable twin sticks
bla,bla,bla….

Believe it or not there is still more stuff.
Still waiting on my OTRATW switch panel, but should be here soon.

EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Way to go RICKY!!!!!!!! Beautiful Rig!!!! Going to have to meet you at Uwharrie sometime. was supposed to go last weekend also but plans fell through.
NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
JimmyJazz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I voted for Ricky, but the army-looking TJ also deserved it. Both really great rigs. Congratulations!!!
JimmyJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

close race. Good job man, that rig is one of a kind.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
tulman22

2005 TJ Wrangler 

CONGRATS!! Very nice rig!
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
XtrmTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats ! Nice ride, Good job !
GREEN JEEP CLUB Member #516

It's a ROCK, ... get over it !
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats. Great Jeep!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats. Well deserved win.
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats! Very close race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats! Nice work!
Unread 10-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Hinson
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats Ricky!! Awesome Ride!!
Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
Gunkel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great race this month!! Congratulations Ricky, much deserved!!

Fireproof...jeep build thread

Cosmo Blue LJ...jeep build thread
Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

congrats. nice jeep
Unread 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
RickyR
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much for the kind words and your votes.
This was a very tough month for voters, and I am flattered to have just squeaked by. Congratulations to everyone that was in the running this month.
If anyone is interested in going to URE in the next few weeks, please let me know. It closes December 15th, so lets get a game plan...
I was thinking maybe the weekend of Dec 3rd or the 10th.
Thanks again for a great birthday month....

Ricky
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.