occasional rough idle/running - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
MikeWL

2001 TJ Wrangler 

occasional rough idle/running

So, I have a 2001 6 cylinder that my daughter drives most of the time. It has recently started having fits of really rough idling/running. It happens when it's hot and when it's cold and even sometimes cruising down the road at all different speeds. The 'check gauges' message comes up but don't think anything has been in the red. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Would low oil pressure cause something like that? I've never heard of an oil pump being sporadic, but maybe it's starting to go bad? I'm going to drive it around tomorrow and see what else I can determine... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yea, I know, my profile shows a 2000... that one is gone and I haven't updated yet. This one is a 2001 and has 78K on the odometer.

[B]2001 TJ Sport - 4.0L/5-sp, locked Dana 44's, 4.10, 33's, Mile Marker; 2000 TJ Sport RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for stored OBD II codes?...
post #3 of 32 Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My daughter's 2000, 186k, recently starting having "more than normal" its share of fits, occasional hard starting and almost stalling (usually after coming to a stop). I changed out the plugs, which were in bad shape, and cleaned out the throttle body. Made a world of difference.

post #4 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
MikeWL

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked the OBD and there are no codes present. Checked the past codes section and it was clear too.

Any other ideas? I'll be driving around today to see if it happens and if I can get any further observations.

...Mike.
spikemaul likes this.

[B]2001 TJ Sport - 4.0L/5-sp, locked Dana 44's, 4.10, 33's, Mile Marker; 2000 TJ Sport RIP
post #5 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 11:13 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Like Knuckle said , check for stored codes.

Some of the newer TJs had a heat soak issue causing some symptoms you described. The fuel injector (s) need to be wrapped to prevent the heat soak. I had to wrap my injector #3 , I just ended up wrapping them all and putting on hood louvers. Solved my issue of rough idle and sputtering. My jeep threw a code though

A quick google search will come up with numerous post about the TJ Heat soak issues and remedies...parts are like $3-15

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #6 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
MikeWL

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I've had a TJ for 12+ years and been on this forum for most of them, but somehow never heard of heat soak. Looking at numerous threads now.

post #7 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 12:21 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWL View Post
Thanks for the input. I've had a TJ for 12+ years and been on this forum for most of them, but somehow never heard of heat soak. Looking at numerous threads now.
for what is worth $$ wise and a bit of time, try it. Cant do any harm , that's for sure. Even if Jeep isn't overheating, hood louvers help reduce any under
hood temps that can affect things like injectors, electrical, hoses etc...

I ended up getting some exhaust header tape/foil in a sheet and cut accordingly to wrap injectors

Good Luck!

post #8 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I thought heat soak affected just the '99 to '04 years?

I've seen the same symptoms with dirty/faulty IAC, or TSB. Also with old and worn plugs. None of which threw codes.

I'd start with a simple cleaning as discussed in this thread.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
I thought heat soak affected just the '99 to '04 years?

I've seen the same symptoms with dirty/faulty IAC, or TSB. Also with old and worn plugs. None of which threw codes.

I'd start with a simple cleaning as discussed in this thread.
As per the TSB yes it covers those years. Other later TJs have reported having the issue too.

I had a random cylinder misfire code and #3 ..Replaced plugs still there. Replaced coil rail, still there. Found out about the TSB on heat soak and wrapped all my injectors. Problem solved and no codes. Added hood louvers after to relieve underhood temps a bit more

post #10 of 32 Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Serbonze
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
As per the TSB yes it covers those years. Other later TJs have reported having the issue too.

I had a random cylinder misfire code and #3 ..Replaced plugs still there. Replaced coil rail, still there. Found out about the TSB on heat soak and wrapped all my injectors. Problem solved and no codes. Added hood louvers after to relieve underhood temps a bit more
Did you use the insulator per the TSB, or a different product?

2008 Grand Cherokee
2001 Wrangler
post #11 of 32 Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly what brand and model # spark plugs are installed? Some supposedly "correct" spark plugs (single-tipped platinums) can cause that exact symptom on newer distributorless engines like yours.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
grininmonkey
Meat Popsicle Stick

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I double wrapped my injectors with this SHIELD-IGNITION CABLE .... but you describe issue rather it's Hot or Cold... could it be temporary bad Fuel pressure ?
post #13 of 32 Old 03-27-2017, 12:16 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Did you use the insulator per the TSB, or a different product?
I bought a strip of Exhaust Header wrap from a Hot Rod shop , cut it up in the pieces I needed and wrapped each injector (adhesive backing).

The insulator was garbage and did nothing, waste of my hard earned $10

post #14 of 32 Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used the TSB insulator ($7) and it worked for me...
post #15 of 32 Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
MikeWL

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My issue has gone dormant, maybe a result of the temperatures being a bit lower the last few weeks. I plan to wrap the injectors the next chance I get and we'll see what happens as summer comes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.