Oba - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oba

Tactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaWheeler Special! Black Steelies w/ 33" Mickey Thompso

Unread 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oba

For years I got by with a $75 compressor born of a vendor of 4Wheel Parts. It was okay, it did the trick for my 05 on 33's. Yes, it took some time to air back up, and it was a bit clumsy. But the fact is, it worked.

During those same years I was running an Aussie up front, and a Power Trax no slip in the rear. Originally geared 307's in the dana 35, powered by the 4 litre 6-banger, it worked until it didn't. The d35 was pushed to its limits over time, and time ultimately visited its ransom. Yes...

I managed to get some super duper axles shafts that, for a time, beefed up that dana 35. And that worked until it didn't, too. When they failed, I swapped that factory d35 with 307's out, in favor of a d44 borne of the same 2005 as my Jeep, geared at 373's. No, not what I wanted, but it fit the budget, and it worked.

It would be later that I bought an ARB for the rear, and ditched the Powertrax. One of the best things I ever did to that good old Jeep. And at the same time I bought the ARB twin compressor. Figured I'd add an air tank, and beef up the OBA. That time arrived.

For the time bein', I got some happy. It's the little things, man, the little things in life that make stuff better...

arb-compressor-install-005.jpg   arb-compressor-install-003.jpg   board-air-regulator-install-008.jpg   board-air-regulator-install-011.jpg  
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure I like the location of the pump. On long runs the compressor may overheat.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
sg93yj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the install! There have not been any reported ARB twin failures due to heat and many are mounted on the driver side battery tray near the header.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Not sure I like the location of the pump. On long runs the compressor may overheat.
Not sure why that would be the case. The compressor only runs intermittently and only when engaging the locker which is a total of 5 seconds at a time. My AKMA 12 is sitting on top of the ac bracket since I dont have and dont have any issues with heating
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heat isn't a problem in my experience, regarding the location of the compressor. The tank is in a Bestop "Insta-Trunk" at the rear. It's a good set up for my needs, and I'm happy with it. Had to relocate the air filter, and went for a filter on a stick a approach.
board-air-regulator-install-006.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking more about airing tires up at the end of a hot day with all that heat under the hood from the engine.
Unread 01-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I aired up 3 vehicles after a day of wheeling with no issues, that said I also run it with the hood open. I should look at routing a connector to the outside.
I would suspect that any ambient heat would be outdone by internal heat from the compressor running.
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #8
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
I aired up 3 vehicles after a day of wheeling with no issues, that said I also run it with the hood open. I should look at routing a connector to the outside.
I would suspect that any ambient heat would be outdone by internal heat from the compressor running.
Compressor has heat fins, and is designed to run with ambient temperature of certain degree. Again I've never messed with one more than a single Jeep, his compressor is in the back as well. It may not be an issue just something that came to mind.
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run my PUMA compressor under the hood for the lockers and airing up, have been for 5+ years and I have no issues with heat.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
TJDaveX
Tater Salad

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice.
Well that settles it. We need to hook up on a long Cascade Mountain trail again.
Only next time going the same direction, instead of our groups passing in the middle.

That way, you can air up my tires at the end!

FWIW, my small ARB locker compressor has been living on my drivers side tray for years. No problems from heat, or anything else.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have an arb twin mounted on the tray under the brake master. After nearly 2 years, it airs up my 35s without problem, no matter the temp. I always open the hood while airing up. Previously, I had located a less expensive compressor under the hood, and that one failed in a matter of months. Replaced that with one that I ran out of a bag, it lasted about one summer. So far, the ARB twin is a winner.
Unread 02-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I yanked the factory airbox, and installed a filter on a stick, and that provided the real estate. Compressor is under the hood, and to date, no problems. I ran an air line back to the tank, and then plumbed the rest of it in. It'll work for me, until it don't.

TJDaveX! Man, it's been a while since we've talked story! Got to remedy that, summertime in the Washington Cascades, comes to mind. Ya up for it old man?

EDIT; MCE Flexible Flatties, G-1.
arb-compressor-install-005.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
dustymc
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I was thinking more about airing tires up at the end of a hot day with all that heat under the hood from the engine.
I run an impact with my ARB single, which is half of the double. It'll BARELY keep up, and if I kill it I'll have an excuse to go York, so I just let it run, sometimes more on than off for hours at a time. It's been happily doing that for a couple years now. Probably made enough air to fill several thousand tires.

You are never going to kill a twin ARB airing up jeep tires.

cologc46, how in the HELL did you get a twin in there? I had to break my own arm to get my single bolted down.
dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

dustymc: There is a thread on wrangler forum with photos that inspired me to install my arb twin on the ABS tray. It is a tight fit, for sure. And, the process of locating it on the tray, pulling it out, pulling out the tray, drilling, test fitting, and then installing it was not easy. Took me about 4 hours at least. I also added a hard plastic cover at the bottom of the fender behind the wheel well to help keep it clean. I get a lot of dirt/mud sprayed up the firewall behind the tires.

PM me your email and I will send you photos of my install. I have not posted photos on this forum, since my install is not new technology.

RnEmOvr: Heat from the engine does not seem to affect the ARB twin, but I do lift the hood when airing up tires so the arb input get some cooler air. I made the mistake of mounting a portable type, chinese compressor under the hood in the past, and it shot cr@ps in about one month.
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currently I have a co2 setup I put together for less than $125 (tank, fittings, bracket, 150psi regulator). It airs up about 35 33" tires per tank. However, I went ahead and cut the whole for my future coupler in my grill & the york setup. Just not ready to spend $200 on a york bracket lol

I currently have a single arb comp as well on my abs tray running the front locker.
image-549182272.jpg

image-2798290389.jpg

05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.