O2 Codes P0031/P0037/P0051/P0057 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > O2 Codes P0031/P0037/P0051/P0057

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #61
98xjroks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update* I replaced the bosch sensor for the ntk/ngk sensor and the P0152 code hasn't been back within 150 miles so far so good.

98xjroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #62
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Btw, i know this is an old post, but after having my pcm and spark plugs replaced, i was still getting codes...i bugged the dealer and told him that i suspected the cat closest to the manifold. They tested it and said sure enough and replaced it for free under the 8/80 warranty. Everything has been working great since then...i also noticed a significant power increase... Which is awesome!

So it turned out for me the problem was a combination of three things possibly interrelated... Pcm, spark plugs, cat. Theoretically it is possible the pcm killed the spark plugs and the cat.

Hope this help anyone else with these issues.
jpross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #63
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Problem fixed! Ended up being a bad PCM. Ordered a rebuilt one online and all is well
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #64
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thread bump.

Has this problem definitely been tracked down to the PCM? Mine recently started this. I see a lot of people saying a lot of different things. Some people saying PCM replacement, others not. I don't want to spend the money and have my jeep gone for days at the dealership if it isn't going to fix it.
Unread 07-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #65
_KONG_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed911 View Post
Thread bump.

Has this problem definitely been tracked down to the PCM? Mine recently started this. I see a lot of people saying a lot of different things. Some people saying PCM replacement, others not. I don't want to spend the money and have my jeep gone for days at the dealership if it isn't going to fix it.
Dealership told me it was the PCM. they wanted something like $900. I bought one online for close to $300 and I haven't had the codes since
_KONG_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #66
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mine threw the P0031/0037/0051/0057 codes as well. Tried clearing codes via battery cable routine, but that didn't work. Stopped by my local mechanic and he read same codes and reset the CEL with his scanner.... Codes came right back... He suggested replacing just 1 O2 Sensor to see if one code would clear, but I wanted to check leads and grounds. Pulled harness connectors from PCM and used contact cleaner on all... still no luck. Checked all leads for damage and all were fine. Checked grounds... all fine. Stopped by dealer. They wanted $100/hr to diagnose problem and couldn't give me a time frame for how long that would take. I was about to order PCM online for $289 but read a post about switching relays. I swapped my horn relay for the ADS relay (they have same part number). Low and behold, CEL cleared. It's only been about 75 miles, but I'm excited to NOT see a yellow engine glowing on my dash. Maybe this will help someone else.
sonofasailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #67
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I thought it was fixed... 2 days and 80 miles, the codes are back. Everything was fine until I filled up the gas tank. I checked the gas cap and it was fine. I have no idea if it was a coincidence or whether something else is going on... Strange though.
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #68
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofasailor3 View Post
Well, I thought it was fixed... 2 days and 80 miles, the codes are back. Everything was fine until I filled up the gas tank. I checked the gas cap and it was fine. I have no idea if it was a coincidence or whether something else is going on... Strange though.
You could try the TSB fix for 05-06 TJ's regarding 02 sensor "not ready" status, which may be the source of the issue as it requires splicing into the ASD and Fuel Pump relay wiring in the PDC to correct it. I attached the TSB below but I think if you search "2006 TJ, 02 sensor not ready status" it'll bring up a big thread about it.

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/docu.../25-001-07.pdf

Easy to do and worked fine for me. I did the fix above due to the 02 heater status always being "not ready" for emissions but based on what I've read in the thread about it, the 02 heater being in "not ready" status can cause random CEL's for the 02 sensors as well.

Also, my TJ threw random cel's for the 02 sensors (p0151) but it was caused by a failed CPS sensor after I swapped out the OPDA for a Crown unit. Replacing the CPS sensor with a factory Mopar one solved that issue.
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #69
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the TSB and the information. I wonder if the codes match for that I/M problem. It's a shame we have to do so much detective work to keep them running. I mean, what other vehicles have a "Death Wobble", "Chirping Birds", "Laughing Monkeys" or whatever else we have
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #70
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I mean, what other vehicles have a "Death Wobble", "Chirping Birds", "Laughing Monkeys" or whatever else we have
Randomly pick a make and model and search the web for their common issues. I guarantee you will find that each make and model has those known issues that plague them.

For instance, my wife's KIA soul simply would not start one day. Power, but no turning of the engine. Turn the key and nothing. Did all the usual diagnostics, nothing. Turned the key one more time, started right up. This happened several times with weeks and even months in between. Turn the key 10 times, nothing. Turn it the 11th, turns over and starts with no issue. Then months without seeing it again. Did some research and yup lots of folks with the same issue.

Only difference is we Jeepers give those issues cool names.

Oh, and solutions at your fingertips....for free.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #71
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06philaTJ View Post
You could try the TSB fix for 05-06 TJ's regarding 02 sensor "not ready" status, which may be the source of the issue as it requires splicing into the ASD and Fuel Pump relay wiring in the PDC to correct it. I attached the TSB below but I think if you search "2006 TJ, 02 sensor not ready status" it'll bring up a big thread about it.

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/docu.../25-001-07.pdf

Easy to do and worked fine for me. I did the fix above due to the 02 heater status always being "not ready" for emissions but based on what I've read in the thread about it, the 02 heater being in "not ready" status can cause random CEL's for the 02 sensors as well.

Also, my TJ threw random cel's for the 02 sensors (p0151) but it was caused by a failed CPS sensor after I swapped out the OPDA for a Crown unit. Replacing the CPS sensor with a factory Mopar one solved that issue.
That didn't fix mine, unfortunately.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #72
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's very true about the names. Reminds me of the rides that used to come each year at the local fair like the "Drop of Death", "Dungeon of Horrors", "Satan's Spinner"... etc. You're also right about every vehicle having its own group of unique problems.
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #73
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

More Information

CEL was on for about 75 miles and then went out. Went about 50 miles without light and then it returned. Still can't figure this out. Any ideas about intermittent CEL and P0031/P0037/P0051/P0057 codes?
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #74
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofasailor3 View Post
CEL was on for about 75 miles and then went out. Went about 50 miles without light and then it returned. Still can't figure this out. Any ideas about intermittent CEL and P0031/P0037/P0051/P0057 codes?
swap the relays again and see what happens, or fit new ones
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #75
sonofasailor3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Will do this over the weekend

I actually replaced the ASD relay thinking it might have been weak. I'll switch them around again over the weekend just for giggles. I'm still not convinced on having a PCM failure yet, nor do I believe all 4 O2 sensors went out at the same time. Evidently it's a common code throw as internet searches show many vehicles throwing the same code. In fact, one of the sites had a post about a different make where the poster did the same headlight relay mod (the one so you can use highbeams and fog lights simultaneously) and when he replaced the relay the four codes went away. I did the same, but no luck...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.