nv3550 drain/fill plug size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > nv3550 drain/fill plug size

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nv3550 drain/fill plug size

I want to change my nv3550 transmission fluid tomorrow on my day off. I was under the jeep the other day and looked at the drain/fill plugs and saw that they were pretty large allen bolts...what size allen bit do i need? (these are bigger than all the bits i have so i need to go buy one when i pick up the fluid, etc.)

Also, I plan on using the pennzoil synchromesh as it appears to be a popular choice for this transmission...how many quarts do I need? Any tips and tricks from previous experiences are also welcome.

Rowingfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I cannot remember if it is a 17mm or 19mm allen, but its pretty large. I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct size.

You need just over 2qts, so you will need to buy 3. Fill to the top of the fill plug.

Royal Purple Synchromax is the fluid I would recommend, makes the trans a bit quieter and shifts smoother too.

For tips, its fairly strait forward, just make sure you can turn the fill plug before removing the drain plug (like any other fluid draining proceedure).

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

17mm, hex. you can buy single, or buy a set. the t-case takes a 10mm.

2.1 qts. buy 3, you will spill some. also get a small fluid pump. kind of like a pump on a hand soap bottle.

make sure you are on level ground. make sure you take out the fill plug first. you don't want to drain it and find out you can't get the fill plug out.

fill till it starts to runs out. should be full, just to the bottom of the fill hole.
Unread 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys.
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Rbohno
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just changed my fliud today and bought the 3 pc set for 10.99@ AutoZone, the largest in the set is 17 mm which is what I needed for the tranny.
Rbohno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Rowingfish87
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had to order the 17mm allen socket from craftsman b/c every tool/parts store just laughed when I asked them if they had one that big. also couldn't find then pennzoil synchromesh anywhere...no one around here carries it i guess. I went with the RP synchromax...more expensive but ive heard good things.
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
sixspeeds
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know the torqe specs offhand for the tranny and transfer case?
sixspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
fsSnowboard
2005 TJ Wrangler 

An Excel Spreadsheet I downloaded from somewhere(can't remember where) says 14-20 ft. lbs. for both plugs.
fsSnowboard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeeds View Post
Anyone know the torqe specs offhand for the tranny and transfer case?
If your talking about the fill plugs, just tighten them down snug.

For anyone else that finds this thread looking for the size of the allen wrench, you can also use a 17mm bolt and a pair of vice-grips to remove the plug.
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found a bolt that fit the plug size then welded a nut to the other end. Just used a wrench to turn it out and can keep it in my toolbox for later use.

You could also use jam nuts on it if you don't have access to a welder.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
sixspeeds
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsSnowboard View Post
An Excel Spreadsheet I downloaded from somewhere(can't remember where) says 14-20 ft. lbs. for both plugs.
cool thanks
sixspeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
TheStigX
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
If your talking about the fill plugs, just tighten them down snug.

For anyone else that finds this thread looking for the size of the allen wrench, you can also use a 17mm bolt and a pair of vice-grips to remove the plug.
This is how I've been doing it. I don't have a allen bit that big and this method has worked out good.
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Platypus
Built In The Rain

2001 TJ Wrangler 

good thread. i just took everyone's advice and went with redline MT90. and i picked up the 17mm. got too dark to do it tonight so first thing tomorrow im doing my first oil change on this transmission.
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
good thread. i just took everyone's advice and went with redline MT90. and i picked up the 17mm. got too dark to do it tonight so first thing tomorrow im doing my first oil change on this transmission.
Loosen and remove the fill plug first and hope that you have some kind of fluid pump to get the new fluid in.
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
I don't know if you saw this in the other tranny thread posted earier, so here is what I did. This was the 3rd time I changed the oil and it shifts better than ever before.

I have a NV3550 and I flushed it with kerosene a few times, putting in 1/2 gallon each time, pour it into the shift tower hole with a funnel. I put the transfer case in neutral and shifted through the gears each time for a few min. I got shavings on the magnet after both flushes. I then got most of the kerosene out by blowing through the shift tower hole. I put MOPAR oil in, you can pour it in the funnel. It shifts great now.

When the metal shavings get built up in between the synchronizer gears they don't slide as fast as they should, causing them to grind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.