JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   NV3550 to 32rh swap questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nv3550-32rh-swap-questions-1550771/)

stottman 07-18-2013 07:03 PM

NV3550 to 32rh swap questions
 
First off let me say this isn't a thread about why I am getting rid of the nv3550 or which tranny is better, just looking for some useful information for the swap. I searched but there is very little for this particular swap, find a lot about the aw4 but not the 32rh.

So I plan on swapping out the tranny to the 32rh, here's the list so far of what I think I need.

32rh, torque converter, trans mount adapter, pcm for an auto, tranny lines, flex plate, shifter cable, kickdown cable, shifter assy, tranny temp gauge.
If there is anything missing chime in.

When it comes to the swap does it use the crank position sensor that was used on the manual or does it use a different one of an auto, also I know there is a sensor or something on top of the tranny now that doesn't get used for the manual but IIRC it gets used on the auto. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.:cheers2:

Necko2529 07-18-2013 07:07 PM

Do you have a stock radiator without the transmission cooler on the bottom?

JBTJ 07-18-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stottman (Post 15693132)
First off let me say this isn't a thread about why I am getting rid of the nv3550 or which tranny is better, just looking for some useful information for the swap. I searched but there is very little for this particular swap, find a lot about the aw4 but not the 32rh.

So I plan on swapping out the tranny to the 32rh, here's the list so far of what I think I need.

32rh, torque converter, trans mount adapter, pcm for an auto, tranny lines, flex plate, shifter cable, kickdown cable, shifter assy, tranny temp gauge.
If there is anything missing chime in.

When it comes to the swap does it use the crank position sensor that was used on the manual or does it use a different one of an auto, also I know there is a sensor or something on top of the tranny now that doesn't get used for the manual but IIRC it gets used on the auto. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.:cheers2:

I do know it must be for the auto. Only 1 bolt to hold it to the bell housing. The stick is a 2 bolt sensor.

stottman 07-18-2013 07:12 PM

My radiator has the holes for the tranny cooler on it. If I'm understanding you correctly the cps is only held on by one bolt on the auto, so it's probably different than the one on the manual.

JBTJ 07-18-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stottman (Post 15693170)
My radiator has the holes for the tranny cooler on it. If I'm understanding you correctly the cps is only held on by one bolt on the auto, so it's probably different than the one on the manual.

Correct. Manual is a 2 bolt design.

stottman 07-18-2013 07:18 PM

Do you happen to know if the wiring harness plug is the same for both. Also, any idea on that other sensor

JBTJ 07-18-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stottman (Post 15693194)
Do you happen to know if the wiring harness plug is the same for both. Also, any idea on that other sensor

No, I do not. I only have the auto you're converting to.

Knuckelhead 07-18-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stottman (Post 15693132)
also I know there is a sensor or something on top of the tranny now that doesn't get used for the manual but IIRC it gets used on the auto.

It sounds like you're asking about the harness plug for the torque converter lock-up solenoid?...

MisfitSeven 07-18-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stottman
So I plan on swapping out the tranny to the 32rh, here's the list so far of what I think I need.

32rh, torque converter, trans mount adapter, pcm for an auto, tranny lines, flex plate, shifter cable, kickdown cable, shifter assy, tranny temp gauge.
If there is anything missing chime in.

Do you still need these items? Or you do have them, but they will be needed for the swap?

stottman 07-19-2013 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No I haven't bought anything yet, funds are tight because I just did the 8.8 swap with the artec truss. Just trying to get all the research done before I start buying stuff. If it is the harness plug for the torque converter lock-up solenoid does it just plug right into the tranny. This is what it looks like

Jerry Bransford 07-19-2013 07:16 AM

Your 2000 already has all the wiring & connectors required for the 32RH, I converted my '97 TJ from an AX15 to the 32RH. You will also need a replacement 2000 ECM that is programmed for the automatic so it can control the lockup torque converter.

I don't know what the length of your 231 tcase's input shaft is but if it is the same as mine was to seat into the oe AX15, you will need to install a new extended output shaft seal into your 32RH. That is a machined aluminum seal you can get from Teraflex (the easiest source) at www.teraflex.biz, www.summitracing.com, and a few other suppliers. I discovered this when the rear of my new 32RH started leaking atf like a sieve because the 231's input shaft wasn't long enough to seal the 32RH's output shaft. The new extended seal is tapped into place with a bfh.

Hope that helps get you started.

stottman 07-21-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, as far as the tranny lines there is just two right, output and return. Also, do you guys recommend an aftermarket external tranny cooler and or filter.

JBTJ 07-21-2013 04:26 PM

I installed a temp gauge and decided I didn't need a cooler as output temps were around 165~175 most of the time and with the stock cooler it was about 20 degrees cooler than that. But I did install an external filter which I change out every oil change and add a fresh quart to the mix.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/JBTJ/100_1940.jpg

Knuckelhead 07-21-2013 05:22 PM

Another external transmission filter...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ansfercase.jpg

stottman 07-22-2013 05:11 AM

I meant a secondary one that goes between the tranny and cooler


The time now is 07:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.