Are NV231's "one size fits all" or vehicle or transmission specific? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Are NV231's "one size fits all" or vehicle or transmission specific?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 06-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
skydiver30960
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are NV231's "one size fits all" or vehicle or transmission specific?

Title pretty much sums it up. I did a search and there are lots of threads about swapping different kinds of TCs but not any I could find about TC donor vehicles. Why I ask:

In my forays through Craigslist I found a guy selling a front end/rear end/transfer case from some year of Cherokee. He says he got them in a swap and apparently isn't too knowledgeable in such things, but through some pictures I've confirmed the TC is a 231 (interesting) and the rear axle is a D35 (rats!).

My thought was: If the 231's are one size fits all I could either rebuild it with a SYE or (more likely, since I don't know the history of this case) run it while I bench-rebuild my own case with the SYE. Or, dare I even consider it, a TeraLow, since I'm rolling in 3.73s.

I'm guessing the input shafts are all different depending on transmission...

Waddaya think?

Ike

skydiver30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
skydiver30960
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for the TGIF crew. Need some input here: there's now someone on the local CL with a NP231 with a SYE installed, wonder if I can use it.

Thanks;

Ike
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The 231 has many versions, there is no one-size-fits-all 231. Some mixing and matching of internal parts is possible. You need to be sure of the input spline count and of the internal gear cut if you plan on any internal part swapping.

Because of differences in the cut of the gears, as a general rule, one should not interchange 1987-1993 NP/NV231 gears with 1994-present gears. These years are not always hard and fast delineations. If one is not absolutely certain, disassembly and inspection is required.

Novak Adapters has some excellent Tech info -> http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
skydiver30960
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that's bad news but GREAT INFORMATION. I've bookmarked that site into my ever-growing list of Jeep bookmarks.

Thanks for the help!

Ike

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.