Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 07-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #91
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just found these on McMaster, they look very similar to the OE nutserts...

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/s_lucent/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-15.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/s_lucent/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-16.jpg[/IMG]

98 TJ Sport, 4" Rough Country Lift, homemade discos,
35" BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's, 4.56 gears, Detroit Truetrac
up front, factory Trac-Lok out back,Warn M8274 8000lb
winch, York OBA, rock guards, custom intake, 48" HI Lift.
Gomofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #92
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oops, let me try that again

Unread 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #93
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

They call these "weld nuts"... they don't crush and expand like the rivet nuts do... you just weld them in. I think this is more like what came in my 98 from the factory.

Unread 07-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #94
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OffTopic not transfer case related but: Does anyone know the nutserts and screws id need to install a set of rubicon rocker guards on my 97 TJ?
And do you need a tool to install nutserts? Like im completely lost on this stuff

Thanks,
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #95
monkeychrist
1998 TJ Wrangler 

just to add to this already greatly informative thread, the part number for the bolts is 6507904aa. This is for the newer model 12mm bolts 06 and up.

The dealer I went to had no idea what I was talking about, and I had to walk him through the computer to get the right thing. Then, after placing the order he hemmed and hawed saying if they were the wrong thing I was stuck with them since it was a special order. I think his biggest issue was I had a 98 but was looking for an 06 and up part.

Either way, that may help some of you when ordering.

Thanks to MrBlaine for the nutserts and Bduece for the thread!
monkeychrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #96
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast View Post
So you drilled straight up through the top of the frame too and put a regular nut on the topside? That makes sense if there's enough clearance on top of the framerail. Why hasn't anybody else thought of this?
From the FSM...
Quote:
DRILLING HOLES
Do not drill holes in the top and bottom of frame rail, metal fatigue can result causing frame failure. Holes drilled in the side of the frame rail must be at
least 38 mm (1.5 in.) from the top and bottom flanges.
Additional drill holes should be located away from existing holes.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #97
BDuece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafikie View Post
I just drilled all mine out with a 1/2 bit up through the frame rail and put a 7" bolt (had 1 3/4" drop kit) with a nylok on the top cheap fix and zero problems
Drilling through the frame isn't a good idea. Besides the metal fatigue your putting clamping pressure on the frame. This isn't a good idea unless you installed a sleeve inside the frame to prevent crushing. Are you going to have a problem? Probable not! But there is a possibility.

http://www.thisisforthesoldiers.org
BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #98
fisher836
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuece View Post
Drilling through the frame isn't a good idea. Besides the metal fatigue your putting clamping pressure on the frame. This isn't a good idea unless you installed a sleeve inside the frame to prevent crushing. Are you going to have a problem? Probable not! But there is a possibility.
I completely agree with this statement. I drilled through the frame on a 1998 Sahara I had and no problems what so ever and I think that 99.7% of time you wouldn't have a problem. It is nice to do things right and if you plan on keeping your jeep, the nutsert install is the way to go. Great write up.
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #99
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not worried about crushing the frame. I used lock nuts, so I wouldn't have to use a ton of clamping force to keep them tight.

Unread 08-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #100
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast View Post
I'm not worried about crushing the frame. I used lock nuts, so I wouldn't have to use a ton of clamping force to keep them tight.

Same here!! I use new nylok nuts every time I re-install it and only tighten it enough to keep everything secure. If it was C channel I'd be leery to do this, but solid tubing I have zero worries. Thanks for the concern
Unread 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #101
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used a different method when I had this problem. I ground off the heads of the bolts, then dropped the skid. Then I used a heavy ballpeen hammer and just hammered the studs that were exposed back up into the frame. At this point, you can either leave them loose in your frame or if you are like me Absolutely Neurotic About Life, then you can fish them out with a piece of wire. This just leaves the face of the nutsert attached at the frame. This I just crushed with channel locks until I could pull it out of the hole. Now, the disclaimer- my frame is in great shape and no rust, so I felt comfortable doing this, knowing I would not damage the frame. Just my .02.
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #102
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychrist View Post
just to add to this already greatly informative thread, the part number for the bolts is 6507904aa. This is for the newer model 12mm bolts 06 and up.

The dealer I went to had no idea what I was talking about, and I had to walk him through the computer to get the right thing. Then, after placing the order he hemmed and hawed saying if they were the wrong thing I was stuck with them since it was a special order. I think his biggest issue was I had a 98 but was looking for an 06 and up part.

Either way, that may help some of you when ordering.

Thanks to MrBlaine for the nutserts and Bduece for the thread!
I thought DC went metric in '03?
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #103
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of mine is stripped inside. Any further progress?
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #104
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I read all these pages with intertest, as I also have need to fix the skid/frame.

BUT...

I have a Yj.
Is the Yj nutsert the same as an older(pre '06) Tj?
(1/2 inch x13)

My Jeep stealership is no help at all and tell me those parts are not available, unless I give him a part number.
But the part number is not cross-referenced by size or year. and are only special order($12.50 each) and can not be returned if wrong.

So...Is this correct?
part number 6035739 is the number for pre'06 Tj's? And is sea 1/2x13? And the Yj?
part number 6506 629AA is for '06 -newer? and is metric 12mmx13?

What information does anyone have for a Yj?
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #105
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

doesnt matter. get whatever nutcerts they have. you have to drill the holes out anyway. if the certs they give u require a different bolt size just go buy em at the hardware store.
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.