Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #76
KnetAZ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So what ever happened with this?

I ask because I have several of these nutserts, along with the bolts, nuts and washers to be able to install them and don't need them anymore. I was thinking of making up 4 or 5 kits of these for folks that need them, so I can get rid of them.

Unread 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #77
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnetAZ View Post
So what ever happened with this?

I ask because I have several of these nutserts, along with the bolts, nuts and washers to be able to install them and don't need them anymore. I was thinking of making up 4 or 5 kits of these for folks that need them, so I can get rid of them.
You have some for 03+ TJ TC skid mounts to frame? I would like to have some spares for the inevitable.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #78
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering what anyone thought about the possibility of using anti-seize and a lock washer rather than loctite when re-installing the skid bolts. If you get them to come out with no issues, you could clean the bolt threads and use antiseize knowing that you don't have to worry problems down the road. I'm just not sure if a lockwasher used on the bolt head going through the skid would keep it from backing off or not. Any thoughts?
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #79
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
I was wondering what anyone thought about the possibility of using anti-seize and a lock washer rather than loctite when re-installing the skid bolts. If you get them to come out with no issues, you could clean the bolt threads and use antiseize knowing that you don't have to worry problems down the road. I'm just not sure if a lockwasher used on the bolt head going through the skid would keep it from backing off or not. Any thoughts?
Drill the heads and safety wire them?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #80
KnetAZ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrissom View Post
You have some for 03+ TJ TC skid mounts to frame? I would like to have some spares for the inevitable.

Chuck
Yep, PM me if you want them, details here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...13#post5199113
Unread 05-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #81
daveyramone
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So seeing that the TC skid is an integral part of the frame, would it be compromised in any way when installing a TC skid drop? I've seen many Jeeps that simply used washers and longer bolts to drop the TC skid... I'd think that the shear stresses on the bolts would be increased quite a bit when the frame starts flexing with a set-up like this. Am I completely off base? I'm guessing a piece of square tubing would be a better substitute for washers if a person was home fabbing a TC skid drop. What do the aftermarket use for drop spacers and fasteners?
Canadian Jeep Club Member #2
2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited
daveyramone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #82
BDuece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
When I did mine I tac welded the nutserts in. I also used anti seize on the bolts. I've check them a couple of times since I installed them and they have not loosened.
I think the reason why they fail is the design of the frame. Water, dirt , mud, etc. collect in the frame. This causes rust of course. Well on mine, the ends of the bolts rusted and bulged. When the bolts are in the nutsert they extend above the nutsert about 3/8 of an inch. That 3/8 of an inch gets caked with mud and moisture. That area rusts and bulges. When you attempt to loosen the bolts, the rusted area of the bolt prevents the bolt from coming out. It locks onto the nutsert and the weaker of the 2 two loosen. If the rust is minor, the bolt comes out. If the rust is extensive it locks onto the nutsert and the loctite breaks, then the nutsert spins. In some cases the top of the nutsert breaks away from the base (thats what happend to mine).
After the nutsert incident I started rinsing the frame out through the frame holes in the front. It leaves some water in the frame but it's better than wet mud!

http://www.thisisforthesoldiers.org

Last edited by BDuece; 10-05-2009 at 09:13 AM..
BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #83
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

If they tell me that the small flange style is an acceptable substitute, then that's good news for everyone.
mrblaine, did you ever get an answer from AVK? Is the small flange style an acceptable substitute?

Does anybody have the part number of the 1/2" version from mcmaster?

98 TJ Sport, 4" Rough Country Lift, homemade discos,
35" BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's, 4.56 gears, Detroit Truetrac
up front, factory Trac-Lok out back,Warn M8274 8000lb
winch, York OBA, rock guards, custom intake, 48" HI Lift.
Gomofast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #84
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomofast View Post
Does anybody have the part number of the 1/2" version from mcmaster?
Did you even try to search their site

95105A169
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #85
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the thread was 1/2 - 20 or 1/2 - 13.

And this one (95105A169) says that if fits a material thickness range of .063" - .200", I wanted to make sure that would work too.

Unread 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #86
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just drilled all mine out with a 1/2 bit up through the frame rail and put a 7" bolt (had 1 3/4" drop kit) with a nylok on the top cheap fix and zero problems
Unread 07-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #87
Gomofast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafikie View Post
I just drilled all mine out with a 1/2 bit up through the frame rail and put a 7" bolt (had 1 3/4" drop kit) with a nylok on the top cheap fix and zero problems
So you drilled straight up through the top of the frame too and put a regular nut on the topside? That makes sense if there's enough clearance on top of the framerail. Why hasn't anybody else thought of this?

Unread 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #88
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So you drilled straight up through the top of the frame too and put a regular nut on the topside? That makes sense if there's enough clearance on top of the framerail. Why hasn't anybody else thought of this?
it's tight but it works
Unread 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #89
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, I wasn't sure if the thread was 1/2 - 20 or 1/2 - 13.

And this one (95105A169) says that if fits a material thickness range of .063" - .200", I wanted to make sure that would work too.
That works for 1/8" to 3/16" steel, I don't think our frames are any thicker than that. As for the bolts I am not sure of the thread size but replacing bolts is easy and the only option on McMaster is for 13tpi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafikie View Post
My only concern here would be crushing the frame a little if you torque the bolts to proper spec. While working on a project at work just hand tightening a bolt with a box end wrench I started to crush in 1/8" wall stainless steel 2x2. Just watch how much you torque them down, and realize you may not want to go as tight as factory specs, what ever that is.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #90
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
My only concern here would be crushing the frame a little if you torque the bolts to proper spec. While working on a project at work just hand tightening a bolt with a box end wrench I started to crush in 1/8" wall stainless steel 2x2. Just watch how much you torque them down, and realize you may not want to go as tight as factory specs, what ever that is.

I just hit them with the impact and the nylok keeps them from backing off. had it like that for over a year and I haven't lost one yet. As far as the frame goes I've had zero problems there aswell.

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.