Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #61
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

MrBlaine when and where can we get the nutsert kit? I would like to have a few for when it does happen,my girlfriends jeep looks like they may break loose sometime soon.

newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #62
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs View Post
MrBlaine when and where can we get the nutsert kit? I would like to have a few for when it does happen,my girlfriends jeep looks like they may break loose sometime soon.
Which one?
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #63
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Which one?
Must be the redhead. I think his blonde girlfriend drives a BMW.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #64
KnetAZ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
My '06 Parts List does show that part number for the nut inserts (rivets) for the "Skid Plate Support"

6506 629AA Rivet
I got nutserts with that part number from my dealer. I also got McMasters nutserts, and I don't see much difference between the 2.

The silver on the right are Jeep, the gold on the left are McMasters. Neither of them are the same as what come out of the frame.
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #65
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnetAZ View Post
I got nutserts with that part number from my dealer. I also got McMasters nutserts, and I don't see much difference between the 2.

The silver on the right are Jeep, the gold on the left are McMasters. Neither of them are the same as what come out of the frame.
I got one of those as well when I ordered samples from the dealer to get part numbers for AVK. Later I found out that the inch thread version hadn't had a production run for awhile and they wouldn't supply me with large quantities until DC stepped up and paid for a run of them.

I suspect that someone did a substitution without checking to see if it will perform in the same application. My parts guy, who has been at the dealer for a long time said he hadn't seen the switch before and all the previous ones he sold were the OEM style.

I'll call AVK on Monday and see what they say.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #66
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Which one?
Not sure all my tj's are 99's.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #67
KnetAZ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I suspect that someone did a substitution without checking to see if it will perform in the same application.
You suspect? Really?

Quote:
You keep believing that. Those used in the frame will fail miserably.
You weren't 'suspecting' in your earlier posts, you were guaranteeing failure using a nutsert nearly identical to what DC offers.

I suspect that some propeller head at DC did a variance analysis on maintenance work that requires dropping the belly skid.
I suspect that he found the same thing we have; spinning nutserts, requiring extra time and part number 6506 629AA on jobs were they shouldn't need part number 6506 629AA.
I suspect that they did a little research and found, as we have, that it is not an uncommon problem.
I suspect that they found a COTS piece that does not spin in the frame to replace the ones that do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunnell View Post
Nutserts are nutserts - just the same as any other specified fastener. They are nothing unique to Jeep. They installed easily for my and are torqued to 100ftlbs and waiting to be tacked just to make sure.
I suspect that is probably true, since I have had two in my rig for ~4 years, and every time I pull my belly skid, it looks fine.

But those are just my suspicions, YMMV.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #68
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs View Post
Not sure all my tj's are 99's.
The only nutsert kit I currently make is the one that you use to repair the stripped out caliper bolt threads in the Stock Knuckle.

I am considering making a kit to fix the ones in the frame because I don't like what the dealer charges, but was stymied a tad when AVK was out of stock on the frame inserts for the inch thread which is 97 to 02 I think. (no biggie, it's easy to find out what the year spread is)

They do have the metric ones in stock for 03-06, but I have not felt like trying to wage the education battle as to the interchangeability between 1/2-13 and 12mm x 1.75 bolts. I can even get 12mm bolts with 19mm heads on them so you can use a 3/4" wrench on them. But, if you didn't change all 6, you'd cross thead them every time because you'd forget which one is which.

Even though they both fit the exact some diameter frame hole and have the exact same OD, I just haven't felt like dealing with it yet.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #69
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You suspect? Really?

You weren't 'suspecting' in your earlier posts, you were guaranteeing failure using a nutsert nearly identical to what DC offers.

I suspect that some propeller head at DC did a variance analysis on maintenance work that requires dropping the belly skid.
I suspect that he found the same thing we have; spinning nutserts, requiring extra time and part number 6506 629AA on jobs were they shouldn't need part number 6506 629AA.
I suspect that they did a little research and found, as we have, that it is not an uncommon problem.
I suspect that they found a COTS piece that does not spin in the frame to replace the ones that do.

I suspect that is probably true, since I have had two in my rig for ~4 years, and every time I pull my belly skid, it looks fine.

But those are just my suspicions, YMMV.
I have both nutserts in factory part numbered bags and they are not the same. I will know why after Monday though. The funny part about mine is the inch version from the dealer looks like the Metric version I got from AVK and has the big flange.

The metric version I got from the dealer looks like your small flange versions that come from McMaster.

If AVK tells me they are interchangeable, I'll post it up and take my lumps.
Unread 04-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #70
newbs
Jeepaholic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the work you do to help us guys out.
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #71
KnetAZ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If AVK tells me they are interchangeable, I'll post it up and take my lumps.
I don't think anyone is looking to hand out lumps (well, maybe one lump), though it wouldn't kill you to cut people some slack when they do things slightly different from the way you would.

My guess would be that DC had a problem with the OE nutserts, and could either replace the problem OE nutserts with the same thing, and possibly have the same problem, or go with an off the self part that is known to work, and easier to install in the field. That may solve the spinning issue, but I have to wonder how the COTS stuff will hold up to corrosion on the bottom of a Jeep frame. So far so good on mine, but it spent a lot of its time in Phoenix (not much corrosion problems there), and didn't do any winter duty now that I am in Iowa.

And IIRC, I had to enlarge the hole in the frame 1/16" to use the McMaster nutserts.
Unread 04-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #72
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just purchased nutserts from the Dealer on Friday. They dont look like either in the pics, they are grey colored and not splined. They were ordered for a 97 and had to be ordered in from the PDC.
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #73
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't think anyone is looking to hand out lumps (well, maybe one lump), though it wouldn't kill you to cut people some slack when they do things slightly different from the way you would.
You should know that I'm the first to try something different and really don't have any issues with doing that where it doesn't matter. If I'm wrong, I'll apologize and take my lumps.

I'm only passing on info that was given to me by the folks at AVK and Marshall Sales when I was doing the research trying to source these because the prices the dealer is charging for an 80 cent insert is ridiculous. If I can buy 500 to 1000 of them at a time to get a good price and pass that savings along to folks that need them, I figured that would be a good thing especially if I can do something cute with the bolts.

If I can get tapered washers made with a 12mm and 1/2" hole in them that will let you use a regular grade 8 or class 10.9 bolt at a reasonable price, I figure the whole mess should go for about 26 or 27 bucks with a primitive but functional installation tool.

I know I'm less than happy having had to pay 8 bucks for 2 of them at the dealer to get the part numbers for Marshall.

Quote:
My guess would be that DC had a problem with the OE nutserts, and could either replace the problem OE nutserts with the same thing, and possibly have the same problem, or go with an off the self part that is known to work, and easier to install in the field. That may solve the spinning issue, but I have to wonder how the COTS stuff will hold up to corrosion on the bottom of a Jeep frame. So far so good on mine, but it spent a lot of its time in Phoenix (not much corrosion problems there), and didn't do any winter duty now that I am in Iowa.

And IIRC, I had to enlarge the hole in the frame 1/16" to use the McMaster nutserts.
I don't what the issue is with the switch. I do notice that the McMaster ones have a slightly different nose on them, so I don't know if that's Jeep, AVK or McMaster sourcing them from somewhere else.

Here's what I do know. The trans skid is an integral part of the frame and does see some pretty good lateral forces on the fasteners when you get the rig crossed up. I just want to make sure that whatever is used to hold it in place is adequate for the job at hand.

If they tell me that the small flange style is an acceptable substitute, then that's good news for everyone.
Unread 04-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #74
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetk81 View Post
I just purchased nutserts from the Dealer on Friday. They dont look like either in the pics, they are grey colored and not splined. They were ordered for a 97 and had to be ordered in from the PDC.

Do they look like those?
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #75
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They look just like them.

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.