Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #511
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
It's a subtle fulcrum you are on as far as this rust belt jeeper is concerned. Your focus on performance is too tantalizingly close to meeting the needs of the corrosion challenged. And it is off topic for this thread; but a quick example is your use of galvanized elements such as in the GTS. Galvanization as a rust inhibitor is a joke in my region. I don't mean that as a dig; I understand that folks in your area just don't understand.

I understand that stainless is not just one thing; same goes for aluminum. You work with and know both.. But you focus is on performance; understandably so.

It's not just about repair, but also about replacement parts and upgrades.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE RUST! ( and I think there are many more like me up in here) And I HAVE NO USE FOR PAINT! ( except as a rust inhibitor).

Again , it's off topic so I'll stop, but I feel that you are completely tooled-up for a market that you don't see.
Yes and no. The zinc we use is for moderate climates, stainless would be exorbitantly expensive and would have to be treated around the laser cuts to prevent rust from occurring. As I've stated numerous times, I despise rust and the impetus behind a lot of material selection was not to prevent rust, but to be painted and then not rust through the paint if it got scratched and you didn't get to touch it up for a few days.

As far as your galvanizing comment, you need to check into it some more. Galvanizing versus electric zinc plating is a whole different process and zinc plate loses every time. That said, you see how this stuff goes, do you really think I want to endure any discussions over us trying to do our best to prevent rust, have someone scratch through the coating and then hop on here and start running their mouth because it rusted where it wasn't protected? Even worse would be trying to justify the increased costs and then put up with all the sniveling from those that don't need it or make two product lines which is a logistical nightmare.

I get where you're coming from and don't disagree, I just don't see how it can work given what I've seen so far.

Unread 08-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #512
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I get that I don't understand a lot of these details. I just wish it was otherwise.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #513
TJMoneypit
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim View Post
Describe how you set up the tool.

By lock washer you mean star washer right?

Try a new star washer, the nutsert should never turn if everything is going well.

You'll strip out the threads before you break it.

Yes - star washer. Went through one and it looked like it was getting flat so I tried another. Same thing started happening.

I have a 2 inch bolt, 2 washers, a 5/8 nut and then the star washer going into the nutsert. I have one good arm trying to do this, so have another set of hands to hold the wrench in place, maybe that will make a difference.
TJMoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #514
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMoneypit View Post
Yes - star washer. Went through one and it looked like it was getting flat so I tried another. Same thing started happening.

I have a 2 inch bolt, 2 washers, a 5/8 nut and then the star washer going into the nutsert. I have one good arm trying to do this, so have another set of hands to hold the wrench in place, maybe that will make a difference.
Make sure the 2" bolt is fully threaded and then clamp the wrench to the frame with a good clamp.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #515
TJMoneypit
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Make sure the 2" bolt is fully threaded and then clamp the wrench to the frame with a good clamp.
Thanks. Could I use an impact wrench on this setup?
TJMoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #516
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMoneypit View Post
Thanks. Could I use an impact wrench on this setup?
Sure and when you strip out the nutsert, break the bolt or over or under set them, I'll be glad to send you some more out.
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #517
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Sure and when you strip out the nutsert, break the bolt or over or under set them, I'll be glad to send you some more out.
Use "The Force", TJMoneypit
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #518
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is an idea for everyone that does these big nutserts to consider. I need some feedback on this.

I contacted the manufacturer of this product and asked him if he would build them big enough to do a 1/2" nutsert and he laughed at me. He said he didn't have time, wasn't interested and the market was too small to mess with.

He told me to do it and I related that I don't really like nor do I want to copy someone else's design and he told me to go ahead anyway. If anyone cares to verify this, you can contact Ed from this website which has his number at the top. Please be polite

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/

So my question is, how many would be interested in a tool that costs more than it's worth, is a copy of someone else's design, and has a limited amount of purpose for the average Jeeper? I'm estimating the cost at roughly 50-60 bucks and I'd build it durable enough to sell to the next guy to do his if you wanted.

It would also only be able to do the 12mm and 1/2" nutserts.

The only reason I'm even bringing this up is I get at least 2 requests a week wanting to know where to get an actual tool to set these.
I haven't personally needed to replace these nutserts yet, but I would easily pay $50-60 for a tool that would make installing them easier.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #519
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed a complete set of these from Blaine. I only needed to do one, but did all six while the frame was upside down on stands .

I don't recommend trying to drill out a 9/16" nut like the op, a 5/8" flange nut gives the necessary hole size and plenty of area to bite the star washer.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #520
tiger-bailey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is an idea for everyone that does these big nutserts to consider. I need some feedback on this.

I contacted the manufacturer of this product and asked him if he would build them big enough to do a 1/2" nutsert and he laughed at me. He said he didn't have time, wasn't interested and the market was too small to mess with.

He told me to do it and I related that I don't really like nor do I want to copy someone else's design and he told me to go ahead anyway. If anyone cares to verify this, you can contact Ed from this website which has his number at the top. Please be polite

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/

So my question is, how many would be interested in a tool that costs more than it's worth, is a copy of someone else's design, and has a limited amount of purpose for the average Jeeper? I'm estimating the cost at roughly 50-60 bucks and I'd build it durable enough to sell to the next guy to do his if you wanted.

It would also only be able to do the 12mm and 1/2" nutserts.

The only reason I'm even bringing this up is I get at least 2 requests a week wanting to know where to get an actual tool to set these.
I would buy one. I'll paypal you now if you would like.

Australian Cattle Dogs
tiger-bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #521
PFM
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed 3 of Mr. Blaine's last weekend with the bolt tool and 1/2" ratchet - took about 10 minutes. I had 4 replaced earlier when I was in Afghanistan - terrible "professional" installation/weld job with no crushing of nutsert. Ended up grinding the old nutserts out, one weld came out with 1.5" of the bottom of the frame. Took some 1/2" flat stock I had, drilled and inserted a nutsert and was able to crush the nutsert holding the stock in my hand. Inserted into the hole in the frame and bolted it up until I get time to do a proper fix. I didn't have a clamp for the others, just bolted the box end of the wrench to the nearest nutsert in the frame - almost an exact fit.
PFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #522
BadJohnny
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've search read and called around. Every turn is way off or leads me to the auto trans. skid nutsert (small flange knurled type which is part# 6506629AA) and not the frame rail nutsert. I would order the kit but I just need one. Could anybody with the part# for the metric (2004 TJ) large flange, grey, frame rail nutsert please post it (please not a link - my head is killing me after all this).
BadJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #523
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJohnny View Post
I've search read and called around. Every turn is way off or leads me to the auto trans. skid nutsert (small flange knurled type which is part# 6506629AA) and not the frame rail nutsert. I would order the kit but I just need one. Could anybody with the part# for the metric (2004 TJ) large flange, grey, frame rail nutsert please post it (please not a link - my head is killing me after all this).
They should have two numbers, order the wrong one. I can get them if I order 5000 of them at 3.50 each. That is not gonna happen.
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #524
outlawsix
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just scored 5 nutserts for my 99TJ! Had to give the parts guy the number, said he couldn't find it. He had 5 in stock that someone ordered last year. He made me a deal at 7.50 each said he was making .50 cents profit. Guess it was a good thing I forgot to pick them up last year
outlawsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #525
rustbuilder
1981 CJ5 

No more Nos.

I don't know about the rest of the country,But in Oklahoma and texas they are sending the wrong nutrivets out from the dallas pdc,And I cant find the correct ones. They are sending ones that are 11/16 and doesn't even fit in the frame. Fastenal told me no luck on one to fit 5/8s hole.
rustbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.