Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #496
RainShadow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nutsert install tool ...

Which install tool works best for the larger nutserts 3/8, 5/16, 1/2, etc ???

Saw a couple at Blaine; but the air power ones are a little steep $$$.

Randy from Oceanside, CA

PS: If I have to do this 3-4 times, it would pay for the $ tool ?

RainShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #497
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainShadow View Post
Which install tool works best for the larger nutserts 3/8, 5/16, 1/2, etc ???

Saw a couple at Blaine; but the air power ones are a little steep $$$.

Randy from Oceanside, CA

PS: If I have to do this 3-4 times, it would pay for the $ tool ?
I have not seen a tool for larger than 3/8-16. If you see one, post up a link to it.
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #498
fourwheelin
2003 TJ Wrangler 

just installed two nutserts from mr blaine using his recommend hw technique. right in perfectly! good as new.
fourwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #499
Shoelessboi
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm wanting to do this to fix my rusted out nutserts. But kinda confused on what's exactly needed. Besides the nutserts what else would I need?

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #500
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/nu...5/#post3479647

I found this to be pretty clear.
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #501
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered my nutsert and bolt kit from Blaine Monday and it was in my mailbox today. That's less than 48 hours from California to Virginia
26679cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #502
TJMoneypit
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just replaced one that was bad. not sure what I'm doing wrong. Torqueing the crap out of the assembly and the nutsert is still spinning. keep wrenching until the nutsert collapses?
TJMoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #503
WingingIt74
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You may have over done it and broke it off?
WingingIt74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #504
TJMoneypit
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know. how can you tell if it's broke off? it still feels like it's intact. I'm getting the spinning with the lock washer in place and have torque wrench set to 80 and it's spinning before I get to 80.
TJMoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #505
ekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMoneypit View Post
I don't know. how can you tell if it's broke off? it still feels like it's intact. I'm getting the spinning with the lock washer in place and have torque wrench set to 80 and it's spinning before I get to 80.
Describe how you set up the tool.

By lock washer you mean star washer right?

Try a new star washer, the nutsert should never turn if everything is going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingingIt74 View Post
You may have over done it and broke it off?
You'll strip out the threads before you break it.
ekim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #506
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an idea for everyone that does these big nutserts to consider. I need some feedback on this.

I contacted the manufacturer of this product and asked him if he would build them big enough to do a 1/2" nutsert and he laughed at me. He said he didn't have time, wasn't interested and the market was too small to mess with.

He told me to do it and I related that I don't really like nor do I want to copy someone else's design and he told me to go ahead anyway. If anyone cares to verify this, you can contact Ed from this website which has his number at the top. Please be polite

http://www.rivetnuttool.com/

So my question is, how many would be interested in a tool that costs more than it's worth, is a copy of someone else's design, and has a limited amount of purpose for the average Jeeper? I'm estimating the cost at roughly 50-60 bucks and I'd build it durable enough to sell to the next guy to do his if you wanted.

It would also only be able to do the 12mm and 1/2" nutserts.

The only reason I'm even bringing this up is I get at least 2 requests a week wanting to know where to get an actual tool to set these.
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #507
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
So my question is, how many would be interested in a tool that costs more than it's worth, is a copy of someone else's design, and has a limited amount of purpose for the average Jeeper? I'm estimating the cost at roughly 50-60 bucks and I'd build it durable enough to sell to the next guy to do his if you .
The market is only going to grow, as the many rusty jeep threads this summer is indicating.

I really hope your other foot gets dragged into the Rust-Belt jeep business.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #508
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
The market is only going to grow, as the many rusty jeep threads this summer is indicating.

I really hope your other foot gets dragged into the Rust-Belt jeep business.
I don't disagree if our nutsert sales are any indication. We ship about 1-3 sets per day and the requests for the tool is only getting more frequent.

Not sure what you mean about the other foot though, from what I've read so far, it appears that some companies have frame repair pretty well handled, do they not?
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #509
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think they do, (autorust)
I put 2 of their center frame sections on my jeep this spring...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #510
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

I don't disagree if our nutsert sales are any indication. We ship about 1-3 sets per day and the requests for the tool is only getting more frequent.

Not sure what you mean about the other foot though, from what I've read so far, it appears that some companies have frame repair pretty well handled, do they not?
It's a subtle fulcrum you are on as far as this rust belt jeeper is concerned. Your focus on performance is too tantalizingly close to meeting the needs of the corrosion challenged. And it is off topic for this thread; but a quick example is your use of galvanized elements such as in the GTS. Galvanization as a rust inhibitor is a joke in my region. I don't mean that as a dig; I understand that folks in your area just don't understand.

I understand that stainless is not just one thing; same goes for aluminum. You work with and know both.. But you focus is on performance; understandably so.

It's not just about repair, but also about replacement parts and upgrades.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE RUST! ( and I think there are many more like me up in here) And I HAVE NO USE FOR PAINT! ( except as a rust inhibitor).

Again , it's off topic so I'll stop, but I feel that you are completely tooled-up for a market that you don't see.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.