Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #31
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Stumbled upon this some how and I think you can find those nutserts cheaper on McMaster.com, which would be a first.

You just need to know the thickness of the frame.
If its less than 5.1mm use this number 95105A208 $10.67 for 10
If it is between 5.1 and 8.9 use this number 95105A209 $11.64 for 10

Not sure if these are the same as what you get from the dealership but maybe someone can check it out.

They also have them for 1/2" for older TJs

Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
brianw13a
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodog
Dealership told me all they could do is cut open the frame and weld a new nut in there.
They said it wasn't a very common problem for these to come loose.
wow

I'm going to make this tool and try it out and see if i can save the one that is still in there.
We must be going to the same dealer.
brianw13a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #33
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I spoke to a welder fabricator buddy about welding nuts into the frame.
His suggestion might work (I haven't looked too closely yet, but if memory serves it might be tough to do.)
If there's a space somewhere to slip regular nuts into the frame and work them into place, he suggested this:
Drill 2 or 3 holes around/next to the existing hole.
Get the nut into place. (get couple of threads started on a scrap long bolt for a handle to hold it in place.)
Weld through the holes in the 2 or 3 places.
Nut stays put.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #34
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Thanks BDuece & Mrblaine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #35
BDuece

Your Welcome! I tell my wife I'm published!!!

http://www.thisisforthesoldiers.org
BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
will228
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just an update men. I bought some nutserts today from jeep. 8.20 ea. ! I gave them a part number and nothing was coming up so if i were u i would just say u need framerail nutserts for a wangler and they will find them right away. All of them have these on hand at all times. It would be silly not to... Oh and BDuece, Thanx for the write-up. It saved my life. Your wife should be proud. haha
will228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #37
mrunnell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just picked them up from Fastenal this past weekend (had to order). At $0.80 each I thought it was a steal - I would return to the dealer if you can.
mrunnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #38
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunnell View Post
I just picked them up from Fastenal this past weekend (had to order). At $0.80 each I thought it was a steal - I would return to the dealer if you can.
I'd be surprised if what you bought is the same as the OEM nutserts. Can you post up a pic of them?
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #39
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what they are supposed to look like.

Unread 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
mrunnell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'd be surprised if what you bought is the same as the OEM nutserts. Can you post up a pic of them?
Nutserts are nutserts - just the same as any other specified fastener. They are nothing unique to Jeep. They installed easily for my and are torqued to 100ftlbs and waiting to be tacked just to make sure.
photo.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #41
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nutserts are nutserts - just the same as any other specified fastener. They are nothing unique to Jeep. They installed easily for my and are torqued to 100ftlbs and waiting to be tacked just to make sure.
You keep believing that. Those used in the frame will fail miserably.

You also keep believing that they aren't unique to Jeep. I've been in contact with the manufacturer of them and they are indeed unique to Jeep and an engineered product for a specific application.

I posted what they should look like and if they don't look like that, you shouldn't install them in the frame to hold up your transmission, provide lateral support, and brace the frame.

Please post up a pic of your tack welds, that will be interesting.
Unread 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #42
mrunnell
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You keep believing that. Those used in the frame will fail miserably.

You also keep believing that they aren't unique to Jeep. I've been in contact with the manufacturer of them and they are indeed unique to Jeep and an engineered product for a specific application.

I posted what they should look like and if they don't look like that, you shouldn't install them in the frame to hold up your transmission, provide lateral support, and brace the frame.

Please post up a pic of your tack welds, that will be interesting.
Who is the manufacturer? I am going to call your bluff on that one.
What do your nutserts measure not including threads? Mine are a little under 1/8" in grade 8. It is hard to tell from a picture but yours look about the same, only not in grade 8. I do not dispute the fact that Jeep can provide direct OEM replacements, but nutserts are still not unique to Jeep as I stated earlier and any spec grade fasteners will conform.
I can post a picture of a tack weld if you would like, but it will be a few weeks. (rear output seal and clutch replacement on the list.)
Another issue is cost. 49.20 vs 4.80

Last edited by mrunnell; 04-15-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #43
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
I spoke to a welder fabricator buddy about welding nuts into the frame.
His suggestion might work (I haven't looked too closely yet, but if memory serves it might be tough to do.)
If there's a space somewhere to slip regular nuts into the frame and work them into place, he suggested this:
Drill 2 or 3 holes around/next to the existing hole.
Get the nut into place. (get couple of threads started on a scrap long bolt for a handle to hold it in place.)
Weld through the holes in the 2 or 3 places.
Nut stays put.
FSM states not to drill in top or bottom of frame rails. Any holes drilled in the sides must be a specified mimimum distance from the edges.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Who is the manufacturer? I am going to call your bluff on that one.
I never never ever bluff. The manufacturer is AVK industrial products. The Rep for the industrial side of AVK for automotive fasteners is Tom McGee. I acquired the samples you see in the pictures from Marshall Sales in MI and the salesman was named Brian. AVK does not sell direct, only through distributors.

The standard pack quantity for this part number AVK 3047 is 500 and that's the minimum quantity I can purchase from Marshall. The lot number of that part is 0391192.

AVK is located in Valencia CA on Rye Canyon Road according to the invoice I have in front of me. They shipped me the samples per my request to Marshall Sales.

That particular number is a special fastener engineered for Jeep and is not available through any other method. It is not an off the shelf fastener listed anywhere. I had to jump through several hoops including finding the factory designation for that fastener and then several back and forth sessions with Brian at Marshall while he cleared the sale with AVK.

I gave you the part number, go to AVK's site, get the phone number and call them about it.

Quote:
What do your nutserts measure not including threads? Mine are a little under 1/8" in grade 8. It is hard to tell from a picture but yours look about the same, only not in grade 8. I do not dispute the fact that Jeep can provide direct OEM replacements, but nutserts are still not unique to Jeep as I stated earlier and any spec grade fasteners will conform.
If you even remotely think that they are remotely the same fastener based on the pics, then we have much larger issues than you thinking you know anything about fasteners.

What are you basing your grade 8 designation off of, the color?
Quote:
Another issue is cost. 49.20 vs 4.80
Not if you buy them 500 at a time.
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #45
cmulv
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How offten does a nutsert spin? I have and 02 and I am about to drop the tcase to cure some vibes after a 2.25 BB. Is this somthing I need to look out for? Can I get some blaster on them some how?
cmulv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.