Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Reply
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #166
ldso
abidin'
 
ldso's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,022
welder

I had to grind off a few bolts on my YJ, and somebody had already rigged up a couple of studs (instead of bolts), but their fix didn't work. They all were rusted up and just spun in the frame. I tried the drilling a small hole and saturating with PB, and also prying and using the weight of the transfer case to push down on the bolt.

I ended up with a transfer case drop installed (from my Rough Country lift) but with only 2 bolts instead of 6 holding it together. Scary. It hung on enough for me to drive it to the welding shop across town. They are welding nuts onto plates, and welding the plates onto the frame. That should be a permananent solution that will let me unbolt the transfer case for maintenance easily, and an improvement over the original design.

Thanks for driving me home from the welding shop sweetie

__________________
1995 YJ "Mabel", 2.5L Muncie SM465 np231j 4.88's HP30 Lockright JK 44 Detroit 33s CJ clip

measure zero times, cut eight or ten
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #167
rollerized
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 64
Went to 2 Jeep dealers to get the nut inserts and bolts, but they could not find them. Anyone know where I could get these?
rollerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #168
dbbd1
Senior Member
 
dbbd1's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerized View Post
Went to 2 Jeep dealers to get the nut inserts and bolts, but they could not find them. Anyone know where I could get these?
How many do you need? I have a few extras (my dealer did have them).
__________________
The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #169
4.0l sahara
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: shelton ct
Posts: 424
just went and ordered them at my dealer yesterday. I got them today took 1 day.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #170
PurpleTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Okemos, Michigan
Posts: 1,814
ok so i have to do this to 2 bolt / holes, and im just not sure how to do it. i read over the write up multiple times, and i think i either suck at understanding what i am reading, or i am missing something. i understand the concept of the nutsert tool, but the part i dont get is how the tool stays held into the frame. the write up says you should tack weld, or loctite it in place, but it says to do that after you install them... does that mean after you slide them into the frame? or after everything is all said and done?

so i guess what my question is, how does the tool stay held into the frame?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #171
Hesher420
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 1,772
^Just like a rivet gun, you push on the tool to hold it, and the nutsert in the frame hole. After you crush the nutsert into place, you remove the tool. Then, after the nutsert is in and the tool is removed, tac weld it if you feel it is necesary.
__________________

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #172
Dmcastino
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okemos98TJ View Post
ok so i have to do this to 2 bolt / holes, and im just not sure how to do it. i read over the write up multiple times, and i think i either suck at understanding what i am reading, or i am missing something. i understand the concept of the nutsert tool, but the part i dont get is how the tool stays held into the frame. the write up says you should tack weld, or loctite it in place, but it says to do that after you install them... does that mean after you slide them into the frame? or after everything is all said and done?

so i guess what my question is, how does the tool stay held into the frame?
The tool itself isn't held to the frame. Basically you thread the nutsert onto the little tool thing and stick it in the hole of the frame. The nutsert and tool have to be held up with the wrench that you are using on the tool. Then you just have to tighten the tool and it crushes the nutsert which makes it stay in the frame. Does that help at all?
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #173
PurpleTJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Okemos, Michigan
Posts: 1,814
ah! i finally get it. i said before that i understood the concept of the nutsert tool... i lied. i didnt realize that it expands (or gets 'crushed') or whatever, to hold it in place. i get it now. thanks for the help!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustMan View Post
I took a poo once, and when I stood up, there was nothing in the toilet. I was positively terrified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #174
sardog12
Web Wheeler
 
sardog12's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tiger Country, LA
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
^Just like a rivet gun, you push on the tool to hold it, and the nutsert in the frame hole. After you crush the nutsert into place, you remove the tool. Then, after the nutsert is in and the tool is removed, tac weld it if you feel it is necesary.
I recently had to replace one of mine. I got the one from the dealership based on blaine's advice and then tacked it to the frame before crushing it. After putting the other 5 bolts in place for the skid, I put the 6th in until it crushed sufficiently and it worked like a charm. I also tacked the other 5 down to hopefully prevent them from ever spinning in the future.
__________________
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 980
GEAUX TIGERS
sardog12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #175
rollerized
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 64
I need 3 plus bolts
rollerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #176
dbbd1
Senior Member
 
dbbd1's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerized View Post
I need 3 plus bolts
Well, is it 3 or more? Bolts or the nutserts?
__________________
The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #177
w9kh_kevin
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Joliet, IL.
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Well, is it 3 or more? Bolts or the nutserts?
I'm thinking he means 3 nutserts (plus) 3 bolts
__________________
'90 YJ - stock, long since sold
'97 TJ - 4 cyl, ax-5, np231, 2"bb, 31's, Vortex winch, stock axles, soft on the top-hard on the bottom.
Quote:
2005X
i knew if didnt get what i could afford now i would end up blowing the money on something else
w9kh_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #178
dbbd1
Senior Member
 
dbbd1's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by w9kh_kevin View Post
I'm thinking he means 3 nutserts (plus) 3 bolts
Oh! Duh! Sorry.
__________________
The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:06 AM   #179
BDuece
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog12 View Post
I also tacked the other 5 down to hopefully prevent them from ever spinning in the future.
Tack welding them doesn't necessarily mean your not going to have a problem in the future. Mine where tack welded and I still needed to replace them. The weak point of the nutsert is the area that gets crushed. If that area becomes rusted or weak from stress, it can break.
__________________
Bill,


http://www.thisisforthesoldiers.org
BDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #180
sardog12
Web Wheeler
 
sardog12's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tiger Country, LA
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuece View Post
Tack welding them doesn't necessarily mean your not going to have a problem in the future. Mine where tack welded and I still needed to replace them. The weak point of the nutsert is the area that gets crushed. If that area becomes rusted or weak from stress, it can break.
I realize that but hopefully it will make it at least less likely. The weakness may be the area that gets crushed but, from what I have seen, that area does not usually break off. It usually weakens and no longer applies the "squeezing" pressure on the frame, allowing it to spin. The tack weld should hopefully help against the spinning.
__________________
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 980
GEAUX TIGERS
sardog12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.