Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #136
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

would it work to put a couple little tack welds on the bottom the factory nutsert on the frame? like 2 or 3 equally spaced? would that hold enough to keep it from spinning? or is the nut actually spinning inside the sert?

i gotta drop my skid and trying to figure out how to prevent from getting into a big issue...

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #137
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
would it work to put a couple little tack welds on the bottom the factory nutsert on the frame? like 2 or 3 equally spaced? would that hold enough to keep it from spinning? or is the nut actually spinning inside the sert?

i gotta drop my skid and trying to figure out how to prevent from getting into a big issue...
A couple of tack welds will work great, it has for me and many others. Still, whenever I do anything with the nutserts, I chase them (gently) with a tap and silicone spray the nutserts and the bolts. The nutsert is one piece, the base and threaded portion. The only way for the threaded portion (what you're calling the "nut") to spin free of the base is if it actually breaks.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #138
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Up until around 03, the factory did put a pair of tacks at the flange on the nutsert to the frame. That doesn't stop the spinning for the most part because the real issue is the threaded barrel rusts at the base and then twists off when the threads get rusted to the bolt.

If you do get one that the flange spins on, try some method to tighten the bolt and set the nutsert tighter.
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #139
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Up until around 03, the factory did put a pair of tacks at the flange on the nutsert to the frame. That doesn't stop the spinning for the most part because the real issue is the threaded barrel rusts at the base and then twists off when the threads get rusted to the bolt.

If you do get one that the flange spins on, try some method to tighten the bolt and set the nutsert tighter.
What's rust?
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #140
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I've started the PB-Blaster, so **hopefully** they'll come out no problem...but after my rear shock issue, i'm hesitant. my jeep started life in the rust belt of michigan/ohio area. i may have an M12 tap too...good idea. would it be better to remove the bolts with the air impact, or the slow method with a breaker bar?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #141
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've started the PB-Blaster, so **hopefully** they'll come out no problem...but after my rear shock issue, i'm hesitant. my jeep started life in the rust belt of michigan/ohio area. i may have an M12 tap too...good idea. would it be better to remove the bolts with the air impact, or the slow method with a breaker bar?
Apply heat to the heads of the bolts with a propane torch first.

For me, I skipped all precautions and went for the air impact first. Both side came out fine and there was plenty of rust hidden up in there. I have painted over it now.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #142
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I've done before is to use a large c-clamp from the top of the frame to just next to the bolt head in an attempt to put additional upward pressure on the skid to try to clamp the nutsert head between the skid and the frame.
Unread 05-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #143
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just throwing this out there, so forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to just forget the nutsert technique and use a nut in the frame? Access the nut through a hole in the side of the frame by the mounting holes, the new hole would be just large enough to fit a socket, then ratchet through (or combo wrench, whatever works).
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #144
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are these nutserts still available? I have a stripped one.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #145
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
Just throwing this out there, so forgive my ignorance, but would it be possible to just forget the nutsert technique and use a nut in the frame? Access the nut through a hole in the side of the frame by the mounting holes, the new hole would be just large enough to fit a socket, then ratchet through (or combo wrench, whatever works).
I don't think I'd want additional holes in the frame. I'm lucky though, now that I have the RE LA skid. The center section is removeable to service the t-case and trans. Hopefully, I'll never have to deal with those nutserts again!
Unread 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #146
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
Are these nutserts still available? I have a stripped one.
There are other options but I got mine from the dealer.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #147
w9kh_kevin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This should be a sticky for general info on replacing the rivet nuts. I just dealt with them for the first time on my flares, so I understand what the issues are.
w9kh_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #148
w9kh_kevin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
What's rust?

I got your rust right here
I didn't know it was possible to have a vehicle without it!
w9kh_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #149
AngusTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9kh_kevin View Post

I got your rust right here
I didn't know it was possible to have a vehicle without it!
RUST SUCKS

Too bad they cant make a material as strong as steel and affordable (dont think i'd buy a carbon fiber Jeep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjleslie03 View Post
I know how bad the D35 is in the rear, but would it be bad to have one in the front?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostj View Post
yes, you wouldn't be able to steer
98' TJ, 4" Superlift, JKS 1.25" BL/ 1" MML, 8k Gorilla winch, Cowl intake, D30 Aussie, shafts/D44 Powertraxx, shafts (4.56's), Rusty's Adj CA's front/ RE Adj CA's rear, Recessed tails, sway discnct'd, 152 db train horns, 34x10.5 LTB's Amer Rac/36x13.5 Irok's Streetlocks, Grenade shifter, Pioneer deck/speakers, Warn bumpers, KC upper lite mts/Slim lites, EBC yellows, 40 series Flowmaster, couple tasteful more ...
AngusTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #150
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusTJ View Post

RUST SUCKS

Too bad they cant make a material as strong as steel and affordable (dont think i'd buy a carbon fiber Jeep)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/new-gas-tank-skid-plate-can-you-say-aluminum-773797/

Technically it still rusts, but it's a start.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
nutsert , nutsert install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.