NSS Bypass? (AW4 Swap) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NSS Bypass? (AW4 Swap)

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

NSS Bypass? (AW4 Swap)

I know there's a hundred threads and Ive been through them all with no solid answer so I deem this post necessary.

Im 95% done my aw4 swap (from my 2002 with an nv3550).

Everything is bolted up, been splicing wires and sodering all day. Trans cooler, etc.

My problem is, I need a way to bypass the neutral safety switch that would have been on my old transmission harness.

A little back ground into this. My tranny is a stand alone aw4. Im not tying it in to my ECM what-so-ever. I have button shifters to raise and lower gears and the old XJ shifter as well.

Im not looking for opinions on the swap or the fact that my Drive gear should work with my ecm.

I really just need to know which of the 6 wires to ground out on the old tranny harness or from the fuse block as to avoid having to put in a push button start.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Should mention that I turn the key and the ignition relay clicks and the starter doesn't engage or the starter relay wont click.

AVNINE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

put in the bypass fuse?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Cut the ignition switch power out (under the steering column somewhere, find it with a test light) to factory starter relay wire, and run it from the keyswitch to a new stand alone relays trigger pole, then make the power out, on said relay run down to the starter solenoid. That is a fool proof default for pretty much any vehicle.

Some vehicles you can pull the factory relay and break of the "kill" pole that the neutral safety switch engages.
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Heath, I found this and it looks promising http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/nss/
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8
put in the bypass fuse?
That bypasses the clutch not the neutral safety switch, thanks though.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The link I found was for an XJ so that wont work. Any schematics for this? Im so lost.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Pull off the column cover and the lower knee panel. Find group of wires coming from the ignition switch. Poke a test light into each one and turn the switch till it lights up. Cut that wire and splice a new wire into the part you cut running back to the switch, then run the other end of this new wire out the firewall and near the fuse box. Buy a relay that has a pigtail already on it. Mount/ziptie relay. Run power in of relay to battery terminal, run ground in of relay to ground, connect trigger in if relay to your new wire from the ignition switch. Run a wire from the relays trigger out down to the actual starter and connect it to where the factory small gauge wire is connected. BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE FACTORY SMALL WIRE AT THE STARTER.

This works 100% of the time.

I can't be any clearer than that.
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Try moving the gear shift lever while turning the key. It may be just a mal-adjusted NSS. The neutral safety switch is on the AW4 for a reason. It's not a bad thing. Are you trying to run the tranny without ANY computer? Or are you running the computer from the XJ?

The NSS on an AW4 is on the outside... easily adjustable. But also easy to un-adjust while heaving a tranny around under a Jeep. If you have everything hooked up, then you may have the NSS hooked up, it's just out of adjustment.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri
Try moving the gear shift lever while turning the key. It may be just a mal-adjusted NSS. The neutral safety switch is on the AW4 for a reason. It's not a bad thing. Are you trying to run the tranny without ANY computer? Or are you running the computer from the XJ?

The NSS on an AW4 is on the outside... easily adjustable. But also easy to un-adjust while heaving a tranny around under a Jeep. If you have everything hooked up, then you may have the NSS hooked up, it's just out of adjustment.
I'm trying to avoid having a push start option.

I'm running the tcm off the aw4 but not connecting it to the tj's ECM. From what I can tell there is a nss coming from the Tj's ECM that used to plug into the old tranny. The wire from what i read is pin 1 a6. That particular plug is no longer connected to anything.

I may just follow heaths advice and bypass the starter relay. It seems to me though that possibly grounding out pin 1 a6 on the Tj's unused factory transmission plug may do the trick. And is a little simpler than running a new relay.
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
AVNINE
2002 TJ Wrangler 

SOLUTION!!!!

For anyone needing a solution to this issue. On the TJ's factory transmission harness (the one that plugs into the tranny), there is a BROWN wire with a BLUE stripe. If you ground it out you bypass the NSS.

AW4 is installed, I just have an issue that is changes gears on its own from 2nd to 3rd and will down shift the same.
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
jeeperkt
2012 JK Wrangler 

How is it going? Have you fixed the shifting issue? I really want to do this swap with a D300 tcase. Im interested in your stand alone Aw4. what kind of button shifters are you running. Do you have to push them when you are driving or do you just leave it in 4 and the trans shifts itself?
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperkt View Post
Im interested in your stand alone Aw4. what kind of button shifters are you running. Do you have to push them when you are driving or do you just leave it in 4 and the trans shifts itself?
Why would you want a stand alone AW4?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
rhythmofrock
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I had my NSS fail and i just added a push button and wired it to the solenoid. One button two wires and problem solved. And i hid my button so a select few know how to start my jeep (oh and i still have to have key in the on position for it to work)
rhythmofrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.