NSG370 Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NSG370 Oil Change

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 01-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
VnutZ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

NSG370 Oil Change

So I've taken to doing my own maintenance now since NJ charges an arm and a leg for labor fees. I'm at 30K on my '06 Unlimited and need to change the manual transmission fluid. My browsing of sites like JF, US41, 4x4explor and StuOffroad only seem to show pictures of the AX-15 transmission information.

Before I go randomly turning bolts on the Jeep, I wanted to confirm these were the right ones (top circle is fill and bottom circle is drain?):

Also - what size hex wrench is supposed to fit in those? What should they be torqued to?

Thanks!

VnutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
olyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The bottom one is the drain (17mm) and the top one is the fill (14mm) Torque is 14-20ftlbs I believe (torqued mine to 20).

Make sure you crack the fill plug open first to make sure you can get fluid in there before you drain it. Sometimes they get seized, better to find out before you drain the trans than after!

I bought the 17 and 14 hex tools at Autozone. Could not find them anywhere else but online. They are cheap, like 10 bux.

Be careful though, I stripped my drain bolt, had to buy a new one. Use a big breaker bar to get pressure on it.
olyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
jeep06
2014 KL Cherokee 

I went so far as to put a little pipe dope on the drain plug threads just to insure it wouldn't leak and I wouldn't have to over tighten it. Mine took just 4 ounces shy of two qts. so make sure you don't spill any. Oh nice informational picture by the way, it would be a good one for the FAQ section!!
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnutZ

Also - what size hex wrench is supposed to fit in those? What should they be torqued to?

Thanks!
Warning! Get good wrenches before you attempt this. I also got mine at Autozone. They come in a 3 pac. $9.99. These plugs are really in there and they are also thin so messing them up is a concern. A really good socket type allen wrench and a break over bar are in order. 17 and 14 are correct. I just tightened mine till they felt as though they would not come out.

Oh, BTW, measure how much oil comes out. A lot of people with the 6 speed are draining out a lot less than they put in. Only about 1 quart came out of mine. Almost 2 quarts went back in. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

x2, Definitely open the fill plug first!

I also stripped my drain plug and had to have a bolt welded in to open it. Don't let this scare you into having the dealership service it. I took it to a 4x4 shop and spent $30 to have them weld in the bolt and open it (that thing was on there good!) It was a good learning experience for me and I still saved a lot of money. I used royal purple synchromax and am happy with it. No great improvements, but no complaints either.

on a side note, does the manual tranny have a filter?
Unread 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGremlin

on a side note, does the manual tranny have a filter?
No filter. I also used the RP oil, although it is a great oil, I don't think it meets warranty standards. I did notice improved shifting, but then again the trans as it came from the factory was a quart low.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 01-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
jeep06
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
No filter. I also used the RP oil, although it is a great oil, I don't think it meets warranty standards. I did notice improved shifting, but then again the trans as it came from the factory was a quart low.
X2 on doesn't meet MS-9224 standards, that's why I drained mine and went with Amsoil synchromesh oil. I figure if I ever have any trouble, they can read the label for themselves. You shouldn't have any problems getting your plugs out, just make sure you hold the allen bits square and very tightly in the plugs. Good luck!!
Unread 01-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
olyjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Warning! Get good wrenches before you attempt this. I also got mine at Autozone. They come in a 3 pac. $9.99. These plugs are really in there and they are also thin so messing them up is a concern. A really good socket type allen wrench and a break over bar are in order.
Yeah, I actually had to borrow a good socket from a friend to get the drain out after I stripped it (wasn't stripped 100%)

The only problem with the autozone hex tools is that the top is slightly rounded at the top leaving a little area that does not make good contact unless you keep good solid pressure on. The ones my friend had were completely square at the top so it was in there real good. I looked at hex sockets in Sears too (I usually buy all Craftsman tools so if I break one, I get a new one no questions asked) but they did not have the 17 or 14mm's. The ones they did have had a slightly rounded edge at the top too. My friend is a mechanic so his sockets may have been Snap-on? not sure.

I am giving mine to a friend with a machine shop to cut 1/8 inch off the tip of the ones from Autozone so they are perfectly square and I'll be good to go! I could probably just dremel it off too if I wanted to.
olyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
BLACK05X

Quote:
Are you sure that it doesnt meet warranty standards. I thought that it did, thats why i put it in mine, even though i didnt notice a difference in shifting at all. People have said on here that it meets the standards. Im afraid now because i think that there is problems with my tranny and if i have to go to the dealer and RP turns out not to be compatible then i dont know what to do.
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK05X
Are you sure that it doesnt meet warranty standards. I thought that it did, thats why i put it in mine, even though i didnt notice a difference in shifting at all. People have said on here that it meets the standards. Im afraid now because i think that there is problems with my tranny and if i have to go to the dealer and RP turns out not to be compatible then i dont know what to do.
The jug does not say MS9224 on it so it does not meet their standard. I don't worry about it. Unless they do a oil analysis how the heck do they know what's in there? Besides, with all the mods on the Jeep I doubt the warranty is valid anyway.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anyone know what brand fluid jeep dealers use? looks like we have 2 options, either Amsoil or pennzoil if we want to "meet spec".
Unread 01-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy
anyone know what brand fluid jeep dealers use? looks like we have 2 options, either Amsoil or pennzoil if we want to "meet spec".
forgot to mention, Quaker State Synchromesh: However since Pennzoil and QS are the same Co, I would think its the same product just in a different color bottle.
Unread 01-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
jeep06
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
The jug does not say MS9224 on it so it does not meet their standard. I don't worry about it. Unless they do a oil analysis how the heck do they know what's in there? Besides, with all the mods on the Jeep I doubt the warranty is valid anyway.
I looked all over on the jug and their web site (royal purple)...they don't state any kind of specs other than the weight. They would know ASAP when they pull the plug and see the purple oil come out...... the OEM oil is not that color, too bad it costs $19/qt in this area. HUMMMM, wonder if they (DCX) make any money on parts???? LOL
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
BLACK05X

So if I changed back to the MS-9224 fluid, i wouldnt have any problems with that right, Going from synthetic back to the factory oil. Just in case my tranny breaks down, i want it to be covered under warranty.
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #15
Jchris
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just changed mine this morning, put the RP in...not too concerned about it meeting spec..

This is the first time I changed it on my own...does anyone know an easier way to get the oil back in? There really isn't much room there next to the exaust to fit the bottle to pour the oil in....
Jchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.