NSG370...at a loss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NSG370...at a loss

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

NSG370...at a loss

Just rebuilt my nsg370 this past weekend. New bearings all around, due to a squeaking noise that occured only when the clutch was out and the jeep was idling in neutral. Push the clutch in, squeak/squeal goes away. My first guess was the input shaft bearing. So I replaced all the bearings in the trans. Lots of work for no end result right now.

Keep in mind I replaced the clutch with a Luk kit a few months ago, the noise didn't start until after this. Napa warranteed the clutch, and I put a brand new Luk kit in after I rebuilt the transmission. All day yesterday I drove it with no noise, now the noise is worse.

If you depress the clutch pedal a tiny bit, the noise gets worse. All the way, it goes away. I'm telling you straight up, that there is NO way it's the input shaft bearing. The trans was rebuilt by the book with genuine Mercedes parts (which could be the problem in the first place, sarcasm). I'm under the impression though that throwout bearings only make noise when the clutch is depressed. The pilot bearing wouldn't make the noise because it's brass. I'm at a loss, and wondering where the hell to go from here. I'm not looking forward to ripping the trans out for a third time in less than 4 months.

My best guess right now is that both throwout bearings in the clutch kits were ****. I've had experiences like this before with auto parts suppliers at my work, and it sucks to have to do **** twice.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and telling napa to give me the money back, and throwing a centerforce in. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that sucks. I can't help you out, but yeah, you read in all these threads it is the input shaft bearing causing the rattle. Very interested to what you find out, because mine make the same noise.
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It isn't the rattle. It's a squealing. I've dealt with the rattle since day one. Even with brand new mopar/mercedes bearings in it, the input shaft has play and rattles. Perks of the transmission I guess.
This thing sounds like a pig getting raped.
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
This thing sounds like a pig getting raped.
That, I thankfully do not have
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm convinced it's the throwout bearing not fully releasing off of the fingers on the pressure plate.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
06philaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
I'm convinced it's the throwout bearing not fully releasing off of the fingers on the pressure plate.
There were some threads on here where a few people had some concerns with throw-out bearings with the luk clutch kits. Not sure if that is the issue but might be of some help.

This is one of them:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lu...34/index6.html
06philaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Dean7276
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Worn shift fork pads possibly. The plastic pads wear away causing metal on metal contact. Will cause a squealing/screeching sound even in neutral. Not individually replaceable, need to buy whole shift fork assy. I would look into it, NSG370's are known to go thru these pads prematurely. Mine were shot after 55,000 miles.
Dean7276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It was the throwout bearing. I pulled the transmission again today. Napa had sent me the clutch kit with the crappy plastic throwout bearing in it. They warranteed the clutch again, yes again, third one, and I bought a throwout bearing from The Jeep dealer here. Worth it.

The dealer bearing is all metal, made in the USA (not Mexico), and is much more heavy duty as far as the springs and the casting are concerned. Drove the jeep about 40-50 miles today after work, no noise....yet (fingers crossed). From my experience in the automotive field, aftermarket parts are hit or miss.

I was also thinking about the shift rail assembly, but I did look at it when I was rebuilding the transmission and the pads looked decent still, so I didn't bother replacing it for no reason. Trans now shifts like butter though, and is much quieter than it used to be. I'm glad I spent the exorbitant amount of time and money.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, glad you got it fixed
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You must have played Ænema this time around and all's well. Glad you got it fixed.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
You must have played Ænema this time around and all's well. Glad you got it fixed.
actually I had Zeppelin II cranking in the shop tonight lol. Just a fair warning to everyone, stay the hell away from Luk clutch kits. I know it's been said before, but with this one, I'd go OEM from the dealer.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I threw Sachs in after i blew my LUK in a mudhole. It's been good so far with about 35-40K. I get the normal TOB chatter that the LUK with all metal TOB was making as well.

Led Zep is one of my favorite bands, I'd have no problem helping you wrench on the Jeep.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
I threw Sachs in after i blew my LUK in a mudhole. It's been good so far with about 35-40K. I get the normal TOB chatter that the LUK with all metal TOB was making as well.

Led Zep is one of my favorite bands, I'd have no problem helping you wrench on the Jeep.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Keep us updated on whether or not this was the fix and if it comes back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Keep us updated on whether or not this was the fix and if it comes back
I will. So far so good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.