NSG370/6speed output noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Roadhawg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

NSG370/6speed output noise

I know there are tons of threads on noisy 6speeds, but they all seem to be that rattling noise at idle. Mine is fairly well behaved at idle, but lately it seems to have spells of getting very noisy at speed on the highway.

I can replicate it by putting the TC into neutral and engaging 5th or 6th. 1st is pretty quiet....gets noisier as you go higher in the gears (I guess due to higher output RPM) Clutch in while doing this and it's gone. Clutch in at 60mph and it's still there....so must be output side.

Only does it when the box gets hot....and sometimes it'll get REALLY hot and other times, in similar conditions it just get regular warm and stays quiet.

It's like a marbles in a can kinda noise, gravel scratchy sorta as well.

I changed the fluid about 2 years ago to a Ravenol synthetic, that matched the MS-9224 spec.
Shifts fine, little notchy between 1 and 2 but it always has been (mileage is around 170k kms (105k miles).

Would changing back to the Mopar/Merc oil help?

Labour to open the box is huge around here and my mechanic reckons "drive it till it breaks" as the labour is the biggest part and its the same if you have to replace 1 part or a whole stack.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a full set of arms and some other things to get the old bastard sorted out but I don't wanna do that and then the gearbox eats itself a month later.

Stu.
'06 Sahara, on Koni's and KM2's
'84 Mk1 Golf Rust Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Roadhawg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have to admit, that I put my hardtop on for the first time in ages this year, and I seemed to notice this noise in Winter when all the windows are closed all the time haha (Southern Hemi, so just coming outta winter now)

Am I just being neurotic?

Stu.
'06 Sahara, on Koni's and KM2's
'84 Mk1 Golf Rust Rod
post #3 of 3 Old 09-20-2017, 12:53 AM
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if you decide to change the oil check it for metal particles. often a can of marbles noise is a bearing on the way out and it will show up as metallic looking swirl of dust strewn through the oil

"I like a man who grins when he fights"
Winston Churchill..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.