NP241J Rock Trac Transfer Case 4WD Switch REVEALED!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP241J Rock Trac Transfer Case 4WD Switch REVEALED!!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #46
Quikv
2006 TJ Wrangler 

4wd light on all the time

Has anyone had a problem with the 4wd light staying on all the time after putting in this switch? I removed the switch and worked it manually and it operates fine, seems like it doesn't go deep enough into the transfer case

Quikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #47
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nope. Works great for me.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #48
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Nope. Works great for me.
Same here, I've done 3 swaps now and all are fine.
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #49
Rjsimms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was wondering the same thing. I did the swap a while back, and my 4wd light stays on when shifted the TC to neutral. I know it is in neutral but the light is still on. It is off when in 2wd. Works in 4 lo and 4 hi.
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #50
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine has worked fine for the most part until I drive for long periods of time over 55mph. If I drive on the highway for over an hour at 55 or higher, the 4WD light starts to flicker on and then eventually stays on.

When I stop the Jeep for a some time (15 minutes or so) and go back to around town driving, the light goes off and stays off. Very weird.

I'm thinking that the switch may be defective and allowing ATF to get up inside the switch housing causing the switch to "close" contacts with the continuity of the ATF. That's just a half***ed theory but I can't think of any thing else.

Other than that, it works as it's supposed to. Off when in 2WD, on when in 4WD.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #51
Quikv
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input, I went to Napa and got another switch part# 600-2939 and now it works.. The new switch was slightly longer from the nut down to the end of the ball, I notice the o-ring groove was wider then on the original one from this thread which in turn caused the added length that I needed.. Not sure what happened but I hope this can help anybody if they come across this problem..
Quikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #52
HandsOn

Just some added info on the pigtail.
If it's the same thing (I haven't messed with mine yet) as the NV3550 and NV4500 transmission plugs (for backup lights), then it's your basic Weatherpack connector, but with reversed inner contacts.

What I found when hooking up the circuit on a 4500, was that you could take a normally-female fitting (looks male on the outside, but the business end on the inside is female) and remove the inner contacts, swap them for male contacts (normally found inside the female-looking outers) and voila! A connector that works.

No different from buying one of course, but if you happen to have a supply of Weatherpacks on hand like I do, then it's easier just to make it yourself. With the price of these things, it's not automatically cheaper, but it saves gas by not having to go to the store!
Maybe as a comparison, next time you're at your favorite auto parts store, see what a Weatherpack "kit" costs. Just the 2-wire outer case, along with the appropriate inner contacts. Who knows? Might even be less expensive than buying the A/C Delco version?

Good luck. Like I said, I have not looked directly into the 241/231 switch yet, but from the pictures posted here, it sure looks like it's going to be the same thing.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #53
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update to Post#50 above:

The switch eventually got worse and the light would come on after 20 minutes of driving. I took Quikv's advise and went to NAPA and got that switch. It works fine now. I believe my original switch was an Airtex. Not sure I like the quality of them.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #54
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've started having the indicator light issue as well. In 2HI going down the highway it'll flicker a bit or to the point where it just plain looks on. Maybe the NAPA part will fix that...
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #55
lateride
1997 TJ Wrangler 

switch flicker plus

I have a similar problem as above with a slight twist. I replaced the switch and the pigtail as in the thread above. The 4WD indicator light works perfect in 4lo and 4hi. In 2hi, it flickers on and off. The twist is that if I'm sitting in the driveway in 2hi, I can move the 4wd shift lever ever so slightly to make the light come on and off. I've check the wires repeatedly and I don't believe there is a short. Any ideas how to remedy this switch issue?
lateride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #56
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Forgive me for bringing an old thread up but it contains useful information and I have a question relating to this.

For the two part numbers listed. If I already have the original Rubicon t case switch can I instead just adapt the connector using airtex 1P1792 and maintain the original switch? ( or does one complete a circuit while the other one breaks the circuit? )

[EDIT] Answered my own question... Sorry for bumping this thread up. Rubicon oem t case switch is variable voltage -- it's possible it may work but may not work well -- not going to bother investigating any further.

Last edited by JeepMKcomin; 04-30-2014 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Answered my own question
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #57
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateride View Post
I have a similar problem as above with a slight twist. I replaced the switch and the pigtail as in the thread above. The 4WD indicator light works perfect in 4lo and 4hi. In 2hi, it flickers on and off. The twist is that if I'm sitting in the driveway in 2hi, I can move the 4wd shift lever ever so slightly to make the light come on and off. I've check the wires repeatedly and I don't believe there is a short. Any ideas how to remedy this switch issue?
My issue is similar. After driving on the highway for a while (like 30+ miles or 30+ minutes) it will flicker and then eventually come on full time. I am not sure if it is a vibration or heat issue. I just deal with it.
Unread 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
My issue is similar. After driving on the highway for a while (like 30+ miles or 30+ minutes) it will flicker and then eventually come on full time. I am not sure if it is a vibration or heat issue. I just deal with it.
Since I replaced the Airtex switch with the Napa switch, I've not had a problem at all. It's been almost 2 years and no issues.

Unread 04-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #59
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-WhiteTJ
Since I replaced the Airtex switch with the Napa switch, I've not had a problem at all. It's been almost 2 years and no issues.
Have a part number?
Unread 06-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #60
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBevO8 View Post
Have a part number?
It's quoted above. Go to NAPA and search for: 600-2939

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.