NP231 Snap ring is broken - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 Snap ring is broken

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 12-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

NP231 Snap ring is broken

Hey brothers,

I am just about done replacing the rear shaft u-joints and rear output seal but when I pulled the seal out, there was a snap ring that had broken in two. I went to the dealership and they said it would take a week and a half to get it from a warehouse in MK. Thats insane. I was hoping, in a ll your infinite knowledge, anyone would know a quicker fix or where I can get one of these much quicker. I do google searches but I cant find this damn snap ring. There is one before the rear output seal on the output shaft,and the one that is broken is the one located just after the output seal on the shaft. I really need help. Thanks guys!

Unread 12-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

goto napa take old one with you

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...I was hating thinking that I would have to wait that long for a snap ring. Hopefully they can help me out.
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went to napa and no dice. Tried other transmission shops and no dice. If anyone has any of these lying around to help a fellow jeeper out, it would be great. they are the two lock rings on the output shaft before you hit the bearings.
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think the part number you need is J8134488. See if a transmission shop or autoparts can cross reference that number. That is from a Jeep Wrangerler '97 shop manual.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com

Last edited by alvinl; 12-29-2008 at 06:02 PM..
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this link. See if the pdf fiche can help you locate a part number. I am finding several part numbers.

https://octane.trademotion.com/sfima...net%2004TJ.pdf

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
850GLT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you want it fast, call Advanced Adapters. I needed an extra snap ring when I did my SYE install and I found that no one, including NAPAs, tractor supply or the dealer had anything close to the right size. AA sent me one for about $7 plus shipping and I got it in 2 days. Even if I'm not talking about the same snap ring, they'll probably have the one you're looking for...
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I will try that ASAP. The Jeep has been down for 3 weeks so far just waiting on parts. I will let you guys know if I find another source.
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
(Black_Jeep)
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I ordered one snap ring to replace the broken snap ring I found when replacing the rear output seal, which was part num J8134488 as alvin said. It is actually the same for the first and second snap ring found on the shaft. When putting the new output seal i noticed that the snap ring I thought was still good, had been slightly warped and bent. Very slightly, but it was. I installed everything only to come out to a huge pool af ATF fluid in my driveway. It appear that the warped snap ring had dug into the rubber seal and ripped it somehow. FYI for someone wanting to replace the seal, make sure the rings arent warped in any way. Also the rear output seal for the np231 with the slip yoke is part num 18108 made by SKF at checker auto. For some reason they kept wanting to give me a different seal which their computer said was for my transfer case, which is not the case.
Unread 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
472cid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have a junk 231 and have all those parts if you need any
1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
472cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
davidnegreiro
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Southwest gear something or other got me the rings. But how important are they?
davidnegreiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.