NP231 - New Rear Output Seal Leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NP231 - New Rear Output Seal Leaks

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Lummoxx
2006 TJ Wrangler 

NP231 - New Rear Output Seal Leaks

Hi all,

I discovered a leak in the rear housing of the tcase. It was bad enough that the dirt and debris under the tcase was a wet sludge sitting on the skid plate, so I figured I should fix it.

I disassembled the tcase to the rear housing, put new gasket stuff on it, and then put it all back together.

For reassembly, I put in a new snap ring, rear output seal, and oil slinger.

The rear housing leak is gone, but now the rear output is flinging a lot of fluid. A much worse leak than the housing ever was. I took my time installing it, the edge is seated all the way around the lip of the rear housing, I made sure of that, and then spent another couple minutes tapping it a bit more, just to be sure. I suppose it could still be in wrong, but I don't know how, offhand.

I did some reading, and the likely culprits are that the shaft is slightly worn where the old seal was and conformed to it, where the new seal doesn't, or a defective new seal, but it looked good to me before I put it in. It had a bead of red lubricant around the inside already, so I didn't add anything before putting it on. It went on with no trouble, I didn't have to force it, and it seated snugly.

I'm just trying to get some idea of what is going on. I don't want to buy another seal just to have it leak as well. What are the likely mistakes I made? I know the assembly order is correct, it really only goes one way. (snap ring -> seal -> slinger).

Thanks.

Lummoxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a common problem. The seal has to slide over the groove where the snap ring sits. This deforms the inside of the seal and it will leak. I installed three seals till I found the answer. Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the shaft covering the groove. Install the seal then remove the tape. It shouldn't leak after this.
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Lummoxx
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In this transfer case, there is only 1 snap ring groove, and it is in front of the seal.
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using a seal tool to place the seal so there is equal pressure around the edges of the seal when seating?
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Lummoxx
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heh...a seal tool? Nope, don't have one of those. Link?
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No link, but I cut a youth aluminum baseball bat in half the same diameter as the metal part of the seal. Use the open cut end on the seal and tap the handle end with a hammer to seat the seal with equal pressure around the circumference.
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you certain it is the seal? I replaced mine this past Sunday only to have a leak on Monday. At work on Monday, I utilized duct tape to tape a rag around the speedo housing where it meets the tailshaft housing. Using this method, I realized that only part of my leak was fixed by replacing the output seal after a short 3-4 mile drive. The rest of the leak came from the mating surface of the speedo telling me the large o-ring was bad. I stopped by the dealer the same day and picked up an o-ring for about $6 and pulled the old one once I got home. Sure enough, it was in terrible condition most likely due to me not inserting it quite straight enough thereby tearing the ring. It was a terrible leak. When installing the new o-ring, I put a light film of RTV on it and the mating surface on the tailshaft housing and no more leak.

The only reason I bring that up is due to you saying you pulled the tailshaft housing and could very well have damaged the speedo when pulling/installing it back in after resealing the housing.
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Lummoxx
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Actually, no I can't be certain it isn't the speedo. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

Anyone have any tips for pulling the oil slinger off without damaging it, and without the really expensive puller tool made for it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.