Novak shifter install -- bending the cane - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Novak shifter install -- bending the cane

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
850GLT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Novak shifter install -- bending the cane

I'm at the step in my Novak install where I need to bend the shifter cane to fit.

I've heated it with a small Benzomatic MAPP torch but I just can't seem to get it hot enough to bend. I've got it in a vice and I've tried bending it by hand while wearing welding gloves and by hitting it with a small sledge.

Should it glow red-hot at the bend point? Because I can't get it there with the MAPP. Do I need to use acetylene? Any other tips?

Unread 11-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it needs to e glowing a the bend.. I took a pipe and put it over to help bend it.
Unread 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do not quench it. it could snap when used.. let it cool on its own.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
850GLT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for the afternoon...

I'm definitely not going to quench it. Anyone else used MAPP to bend their Novak shifter? I swear I was heating it for 30 minutes yesterday and could not get it glowing red.
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used MAP on mine, but as stated above I also put a pipe on the end for more leverage.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
canuck_bob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Beware of heat sinks

When you heat in a vise it is often best to make sure your bend point is not near the jaws. They will suck up huge amounts of heat. Set the bend point a few inches above the jaws at least. It will bend where you heat, don't worry.
30x9.5x15 GY SA on Alcoa Forged
Red Jeep Club #486
canuck_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850GLT View Post
Bump for the afternoon...

I'm definitely not going to quench it. Anyone else used MAPP to bend their Novak shifter? I swear I was heating it for 30 minutes yesterday and could not get it glowing red.
The shaft on the shifter is sbout 7/16"-1/2" isn't it? MAPP ain't gonna work. If you don't have a buddy with a Oxy-Acty torch you can do what folks did for eons of time. Charcoal. Hot coals in the BBQ with good forced airflow will get that sucker cherry red in no time. You never see a blacksmith use a MAPP torch! I had to bend a piece of 1" cold rolled shaft once at home and did not want to bring home the torch from work. A nice bed of coals worked great. Once the coals were all nice and hot and completly surrounding the shaft I took a blow dryer to get more air to the coals to super heat everything. Worked great.

Oh BTW, once the shaft is where you want it toss some Brats on the grill and enjoy.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

MAPP works fine, that's what a friend and I used to bend my Novak shifter rod. However, it's still not an easy bend even when cherry-red hot. A steel pipe slipped over the rod to increase the leverage is what it took to get mine bent as precisely as it needed to be. Make sure you don't booger up the threads when doing so, I did and had to use a die to clean up the threads before I could screw the shift knob down onto it.

Once bent and you're installing it, make sure the two bolts for the clamp that hold the rod in the shifter are TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!!!. Getting it tight enough to prevent the shifter rod to rotate to the side at times proved impossible for me. I ended up tack-welding mine to the moveable part of the clamp on Saturday which finally took care of the shifter rotating out of position problem.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.