Nothing electrical works... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Nothing electrical works...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
BorderPatrol-MJ

Nothing electrical works...

I bought an 01 wrangler from my cousin who has been in iraq for 5 years. I drove it home and then had to leave to go out of town for work. While i was gone my stepdad replaced the battery for me which reset the alarm that he nor i had the remote for. It went off as soon as he tried to crank it. to fix this problem he found the alarm and cut the wires. removed the only visible relay the interupts the Yellow ignition wire and reconnected that yellow wire back to normal..... Now, it seems nothing electrical on the jeep works any more. The horn, brake lights, cigarette lighter and especially not the ignition. I check all the fuses that i am aware of in the power distribution center and the fuse box behind the dash and everything is good. I have power to the PDC. Is there something i might be over looking.

Any help works thanks....

BorderPatrol-MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tell stepdad he cut the wrong wires.Make him put everything back the way it was.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
BorderPatrol-MJ

yeah, well me and him have been looking at it and can't figure it out.. i wondering what would cause no power to get to the dash. Horn, lights etc. should work and they dont. is there a relay other than the ones in the PDC that could have the power cut off to everything. What about the Powertrain control module whats its purpose.

Think about it. the alarm was going off and he cut the alarm, the only relay i seen hooked up to the alarm was the one between the big yellow wire from the key ignition. Is their maybe another relay or something that could kill al power.
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

All those things you say aren't working take power from different fuses within the PDC. Because of that I'm thinking the battery leads have a bad connection between the PDC or ground. Try disconnecting the battery and cleaning the battery posts and connectors till they are silver in colour before refitting them. Might just be a bad connection there.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
BorderPatrol-MJ

I think its more complicated than that cause im getting power at the PDC, i checked every fuse.
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Jackle
1999 TJ Wrangler 

check the wires AFTER the pdc.....if your getting power to it and the fuses are good then check after the fuses....
Jackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderPatrol-MJ View Post
I think its more complicated than that cause im getting power at the PDC, i checked every fuse.
Is it a factory alarm? If you step dad tampered with it the alarm may have disabled the entire PCM/vehicle and may need to be towed to a dealership to "reboot" it essentially.
I had a similar issue with my father's old ZJ. It stopped recognizing the alarm remote and the key was not resetting it either. After retrieving the spare remote from home it reset the alarm.

If it is an after market alarm there are some wires in there that can be cut into that will disable nearly every thing. I had to rewire my entire ignition after removing a faulty alarm left by the previous owner.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.