Not sure if rear calipers are bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Not sure if rear calipers are bad?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
jalbs

Not sure if rear calipers are bad?

Basically rear pads are just about worn down and the rotor is only showing wear on the inner 2 inches. The outer half of the rotor is not worn down nearly as much but is rough as hell to the touch.

The odd part is more pad is remaining on the part where the rotor is showing the pad connecting to it. This is hard to describe and guess I need a pic but just curious is there an easy way to tell if caliper is the problem? I would assume the rotor should wear evenly and even the front ones are very similar with plenty of brake pad left (changed front rotors and pads at 30k miles. Have 55k miles now). I had a trusted 4x4 jeep shop do the front work so not sure what is going on.

Currie HD steering
JKS Front/Rear track bars
JKS quick discos
jalbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbs View Post
Basically rear pads are just about worn down and the rotor is only showing wear on the inner 2 inches. The outer half of the rotor is not worn down nearly as much but is rough as hell to the touch.

The odd part is more pad is remaining on the part where the rotor is showing the pad connecting to it. This is hard to describe and guess I need a pic but just curious is there an easy way to tell if caliper is the problem? I would assume the rotor should wear evenly and even the front ones are very similar with plenty of brake pad left (changed front rotors and pads at 30k miles. Have 55k miles now). I had a trusted 4x4 jeep shop do the front work so not sure what is going on.
Pull the calipers and make sure the guide sleeves move freely in the dust boots. If they don't, pull the sleeve out of the dust boot, clean and lube it with a good brake grease and put them back together.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.