Not sure if i fixed dashboard leak...whats a cowl drain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Not sure if i fixed dashboard leak...whats a cowl drain?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if i fixed dashboard leak...whats a cowl drain?

In response to a massive leak under my passengerside dash i was told to take out my battery and clean the "cowl drain" i have taken the battery out and did not see a drain. I have enclosed pictures, mabey i was looking at it without knowing what it was. In the center of my engine towards the back, there is a plastic tube thing (see pictures) that leaks because a seal is shot (also in pictures) i pulled about 5oz of dirt out of that. is that the cowl drain? if not, what is it? Any step by step pictures about how to clean a cowl drain will be very greatly appeaciated.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1254441221

GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
Unread 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

you have to pull off the cowl first, its got a few screws in it, i think 2 under the rubber seal between the cowl and the hood and then 5 or so on top of the cowl. 1 in the opening and 2 close to the wipers and a few across the top of the cowl. pull the wipers off, pull out the screws then pull out the cowl. look for a lot of crap all under that panel that you just pulled out. remove crap and flush it with water.

this is the cowl--not my pic btw and it is not the same design as our cowls, so just use it for reference of what a cowl is, its the whole panel there.
Jeep wrangler cowl image by runit3 on Photobucket

hopefully someone who is more helpful will chime in
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

theres a better pic of the cowl and it is mine. there are 5, possibly 6 screws on the top and i think only 2 under the rubber piece
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes the seal around the blower (pictured)leaks also.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok, so i take the bolts i can see out of the blower and pull it out? and can i 5200 the seal or is there a better calk?
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

Unread 10-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgunner12 View Post
ok, so i take the bolts i can see out of the blower and pull it out? and can i 5200 the seal or is there a better calk?
There's a slim chance that it's leaking from there.I'd remove the hood cowl and clean the drain and seal around the air vent on the passengers side(under the cowl).I always use silicone to seal it.Here's some pics on how to remove it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...ite-up-541004/
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
JA66
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That piece in the middle would be the cowl drain. Mine was completely plugged, and after i cleaned it out, i didn't have that same problem anymore. Another place i have leaked is when the ac drain was draining back into the jeep, but that only happens when the ac is on.
JA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
timebomb8560
1989 YJ Wrangler 

water leak inside of jeep

Hello: I have an 1989 yj that was leaking water inside every time it rained or i washed it.

I found were my leak was by laying a water hose on the hood next to the windshield and taking a flashlight inside and looking for it.

The water leak is along the seam at the bottom of the windshield at the cowl.

If you follow it along the top to were it starts to go down the side you will see were the sealant is cracked or missing, that's were you will find the leak.

I found the water running down alone the back side of piler were the door strap hooks up.
timebomb8560 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.